Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 jeep patriot sport 2.4 liter w/ac.

today I replaced the upper and lower idlers, tensioner, alternator and serpentine belt.

everything is back together but the belt keeps slipping when I start it. what could I be missing..

thanks in advance have a great day

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Did you use a pry bar to pry the alternator to tighten the belt?
Yes, a good point--the serpentine belt requires higher tension than the old v-belts ever did. Unless an idler wasn't properly tightened, allowing some angular belt routing, I don't know what else could be involved. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Belt tension is maintained by the spring loaded tensioner and is NOT set with alternator adjustment.

- maybe you got a defective aftermarket tensioner?? It happens.
- incorrect length belt? Sometimes an aftermarket part is wrong.
- oil or coolant on belt?
- bad bearing and/or decoupler pulley, causing resistance to spin?
- other excessively worn or misaligned pulleys?

Man, I cannot think of anything else. These Gates videos are pretty good: There should be little to no oscillation of the tensioner. Also check out the water spray on belt test.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 jeep patriot sport 2.4 liter w/ac.

today I replaced the upper and lower idlers, tensioner, alternator and serpentine belt.

everything is back together but the belt keeps slipping when I start it. what could I be missing..

thanks in advance have a great day
Did you ever find a solution? Having same issue!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've seen this a fair few times... Replaced the idlers tensioner and belt... Still squealing... Try spraying a small amount of silicone spray on the flat side of the CAM belt when its running. 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts