Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Patriot, Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2, M151A2, 1954 Austin Champ, 2013 Mazda BT50
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The engine is used, it came out of a write-off accident and has done 16,000ikm. The TIPM that was in there died giving a "no bus" indication on the instruments and I replaced it wiht the correct model. I will ldo a compression test tomorrow.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Patriot, Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2, M151A2, 1954 Austin Champ, 2013 Mazda BT50
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
It sounds very unevenly cranking. Have you done a compression check? I would definitely try spraying some starter fluid in the intake and see if it kicks better or even runs briefly.
Well, Todd, interesting result today. I sprayed a small amount of Start Ya Bastard into the air intake then tried to start the engine. It did a few turns after which it fired up, apparnetly on all cylinders, for a few seconds! I guess this is telling me I have a fuel problem? Prior to this I have tried it with the fuel rail and injectors off the old engine and the rail/injectors that came with the new engine but got the same result on each. Before the engine threw a conrod through the block, it was running. I guess that all this tells me the fuel pump, rail and injectors are OK so where would I look for the issue>

I will be doing a compression test after I drop my son off to school.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,500 Posts
That does confirm you have a fueling issue if additional external fuel gets it running. Now to focus on the fuel system would be next checking the fuses and relay. I'd also remove the rear seat and pump access cover and confirm you're getting power to the pump.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yesterday we disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail and cranked the engine. Heaps of petrol was pumped out in a short period which, to me, indicates the fuel system is working and the fuel pressure must be high. this leaves me thinking that fuel is not getting from the fuel rail through the injectors to the cylinders. I figure this can only be caused by: 1. blockage in the fuel rails (which I will test today but think unlikely as it happens with both fuel rails I have); 2. faulty injectors (but this happens with all injectors in two sets I have, so unlikely); 3. the ECM not pulsing the injectors. Any other ideas? Any way to test the pulsing of the injectors? I will upload a video of the fuel being pumped to the fuel rail later today.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,500 Posts
The volume of fuel at no pressure isn't really an indicator of proper fuel pressure needed for a good spray pattern from the injectors. Think of an open garden hose versus putting your thumb over it and stopping it completely. A better home test would be with rail removed and connected and the injectors in four empty water bottles to see a fine mist being sprayed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I just did that test and no fuel at all came out of the injectors. The rail was full of fuel under some pressure and, when I took one of the injectors off the rail, fuel came out the hole the injector sits in. It looks as if the fuel pressure is too low.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,460 Posts
A fuel pressure gauge is fairly inexpensive. Harbor Freight has one for $31.99, and Autozone has one in their Loan-A-Tool inventory, if you want to see what your pump is actually putting out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I went to the local auto parts store (SuperCheap in Australia) yesterday who wanted over $300 for one suitable for fuel injected systems! Today I found one on eBay for $35 so have ordered that ...It will be a week or so before it arrives but at least then I will have a better idea of the possible causes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am thinking that, if the fuel line from the top of the fuel pump to the fuel rail is just a continuous line, I will disconnect it at both ends and blow air through it to be sure there is no blockage causing a reduction in fuel pressure.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,460 Posts
I feel like an idiot for not realizing that you're in Australia. I'll blame that on my sinus infection. lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Today we tested the injectors by connecting a 9V battery briefly to each in turn while they were on a fuel rail but removed from the cylinders. Each gave a full, fine spray. I also tested the other set and each failed - there was no sound of the solenoid operating. However, when the working injectors were returned to the cylinders the result was as before, no cylinders firing. Despite this, my son told me he could hear the injectors clicking (I could not but my ears are pretty bad)! I would have thought that the injectors were not receiving a signal and thus not firing but if he could hear them clicking that could not be the case.
Tomorrow we will pull them out of the cylinders, leave them connected to the fuel rail and loom to see if they spray at all when the engine is cranked.
Surely we must eventually arrive at the cause of the problem...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts