Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird story. Last month, I was getting constant overheating on the highway (well-known Jeep CVT issue). Had about 110,000 miles on my 2010 Pat. I figured it was time for a trans oil change. So I got that done. The mechanic, who's usually pretty good with fixing anything on my vehicle, did a diagnostic and said my gear ratio sensor needed to be replaced also. A couple days after the repair, the overheating stopped BUT I started to lose power above 55-60mph after 20 mins on the hwy. RPMs soared way above 4K when I hit the gas. Even when I got off the hwy, if I did anything more than lightly touch the gas pedal, I could hear trouble with the gears changing smoothly and the engine would race. A couple days later, the Check Engine light came on. I didn't have the money to fix this and still needed to get to work so I continued driving. A couple days ago, my Jeep was just....fixed! No loss of power. No slippy transmission, no overheating and my Jeep has a renewed vigor. Today, my Check Engine light disappeared. As much as I'd like to believe there are little Jeep fairies living under the hood, I'm just blown away by this "self-correction". Could anyone tell me what might have happened? Did the gear ratio sensor need some time to adjust? Maybe some air in a transmission line? I don't knooowwww!! Welcome your feedback! Thanks!

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,557 Posts
No idea what this could be, maybe it's just getting used to your driving. There's no gears in the CVT though, so it'd just be the belt ratio changing really quick. Could be a lack of trans fluid pressure, as belt-driven CVT's rely on special fluid and high pressure to keep from disintegrating the belt too quick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would definitely get it looked at by a certified Jeep tech. That isn't normal even for a cvt. Also be aware that most regular mechanics have never worked on a cvt. Anytime I have transmission questions or service I always go to the dealer just because of this fact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts