Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. Simple question. I want to add some more lights on my Patriot, but I need to put a switch somewhere. Since my Patriot do not have seat heating, I was wondering can replacement switch be bought and put in place of dummy plastic, where seat heating switches are????

Attached photo of switch:

·
The Custom Guy
688 Posts
Yes it can, but the whole row of buttons will have to be bought. Its about $87 for the row of buttons.

Also, you would have to experiment with how the buttons work. I know there was a thread with lots of discussion on how the buttons work. Wheter they send a signal to the computer, or they are simple switches is the big question here. Good luck if you work this one out. Post pictures!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't matter much, as I am going to connect switches I already have the way they where connected, while connecting extra switches (for additional light) via relay to lights.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody, please, I need VIN No of a Patriot with seat heaters (or PN for Switch Pod for that one). I went to the dealer but they are not sure which PN is actually "switch pod" with all switches. They offered me three PNs:
1. 04602726AD (Switch Pod JKL, CMA)
2. 04602730AD (Switch Pod CMA)
3. 04602728AD (Switch Pod)

Their guess (and mine) is that correct PN for Switch Pod with all five switches (seat heaters, ESP, level of headlights and emergency switch) is 1st one.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hogar, I have thought of doing the same thing and was thinking of how cool it would look to add the switch there. Almost like an oem/aftermarket setup. Did you get this done yet? What part number was it? Do you have pictures? Let us know, this is interesting to me since I too do not have heated seats, thereby leaving those two spots open to add aftermarket lights.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not yet. Got no info on VINs with heated seats.... And spent current Patriot upgrading budget on skid plates. Next is to really upgrade this lousy radio I have in car - frankly it is so hard to understand that somebody is selling new cars without MP3. Now I am looking for Pioneer's double-din CD player FH-P80BT.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
You could also go with the not as stock approach.
I recently finished installing my backup camera system that is initiated via a switch.
Like you, I wanted to use the switch bank since I only have the ESP and Hazard buttons.
The problem that I ran into is that the circuit board overhangs much of the bay:

The $3 switch I got at radio shack is deep enough that the prongs would interfere with the board (could not find a shallower switch) if I put it in the leftmost location (preferred). So I had to put the switch in the rightmost bay since the board stops.

Here is a picture with it installed:

A note to anyone who does something like this: the button is just barely non-symmetrical. Be sure to double check that you are drilling through the correct "bay" of the button. If you do put the hole in the wrong side you can get it to fit however. It just won't follow the contour exactly anymore. :doh: (I felt like an idiot when I realized I drilled the wrong side)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am perfectionist, I would like to keep original design with as little changes as possible!

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
I am perfectionist, I would like to keep original design with as little changes as possible!
Nothing wrong with that. :smiley_thumbs_up:

My questions about the heated seat button approach is:
What is the operation?
In normal heated seat mode, the power cuts out automatically?
Is it a timed thing? Is it an amp draw thing?

I would think that the switch would just be another part of the board (see my picture - the "esp" and "hazard" switching mechanisms are part of the board) and so you would have to deal with whatever the programming of the board is.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it is my understanding that heated seats switch is actually a taster (push button), so I wanted to add minor electronic circuit which would turn it to real switch... actually not using anything else from the installation.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
That is really funny. I bought the switch that Joe used, at radio Shack. Then I decided I wanted to have a more OEM look so I didn't use it. I'm planning to add a solenoid to pop the tailgate from the drivers seat.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
That is really funny. I bought the switch that Joe used, at radio Shack. Then I decided I wanted to have a more OEM look so I didn't use it. I'm planning to add a solenoid to pop the tailgate from the drivers seat.
What? Since when are you concerned about the OEM look? :)
You gonna put the switch in the seat bottom and use one of your cheeks to open the tailgate? :D

Personally, I don't think that switch looks too bad. It is the same size and color as what is there. It does a pretty good job of blending in. I just wish I could have put it on the left side.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Where fitted heated seat switches are rockers with leds!! One push ,one led lit , warm seat. Second push two leds lit hot seat. Third push all off. Not timed they will stay on untill you switch them off !!!

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Nope but same system as my Caliber

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would love to see this, as I have a Viper alarm and it has extra features to controls various options, I was thinking of the same thing, but with a twist. I am looking into some kind of air activated solenoid that will actually push out the tailgate just enough so that the air shoks can ride the tail gate up into its full open position.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I would love to see this, as I have a Viper alarm and it has extra features to controls various options, I was thinking of the same thing, but with a twist. I am looking into some kind of air activated solenoid that will actually push out the tailgate just enough so that the air shocks can ride the tail gate up into its full open position.
The grocery boy will never know what hit him.....in the chin.;)

My reason is that I don't have power locks. Sometimes I run out to the car to get something without my key. Then I can't open the gate if it is locked. If I had a gate release button on the dash like an old station wagon then the problem would be solved.

·
Registered
516 Posts
that would be funny! no, not really, but I can see your need for it. I would really like to see that end process of that modification.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I`ve got non original (non factory equipped) heated seats - the switches are mounted way down the center column, next to the cigarette lighter and permanently lighted with engine on. Only one setting though and probably very high at that - my bunnies are smokin` hot in about a minute or two so I have to switch the thing off. I`m thinking of adding a rheostat (turning little wheel) to the switches which I`ve seen on some VW cars and am sure can be bought as spare parts. Anybody else done that yet to give know-how :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts