Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my patriot developed a scraping noise but only in reverse. I assumed it might of just been the rear brakes since they were fairly worn. But after having my rear brakes done today the noise is still there. Sounds to me like it’s coming from the rear and it’s only when the car is in reverse. Sounds like a metal on metal noise as the wheels are rolling.
Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
It’s a 2008 4x4 cvt, 150,000kms on it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Disk brakes or drum? If disk, could possibly be a bent dust shield. Could also be coming from the RDU... when's the last time the fluid was changed? If you can get a helper, have someone backup slowly while you listen for the sound... you should be able to tell whether it's coming from around a wheel or in the center of the vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disc brakes. Will get under there and check The dust shields. And the PTU and RDA were serviced probably 2yrs ago. Might be time to do it again though?
thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a look at the dust shields and they seem to be fine. Mechanic next door changed the oil in the RDA this morning and it’s still making the noise. what I did notice today though was that it only makes the noise when the transmission is in reverse. I switched to neutral while rolling back and the noise stops. So I’m guessing it must be the transmission?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me either. I did service the cvt at 100,000km and was planning on doing it again soon now that it’s at 150,000km..
I’m hoping it’s not the cvt but it’s looking like it might be. I’ll take it into the local transmission shop and see what they say. Don’t know if I’m prepared to throw enough money at it to replace the tranny.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s not constant. It’s more scrape, scrape, scrape.. yeah like something is out of round. I was convinced it was the brakes or maybe dust shield but now that I’ve realised the noise stops when rolling in neutral it shouldn’t be either of those things.

·
Super Moderator
4,635 Posts
Have you noticed any vibration while driving?

Take a look down the driveshaft and see if anything looks like it's rubbing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah haven’t noticed any vibrations or anything.
my mechanic did mention that my engine mounts need replacing. Could that cause something to be rubbing?
I know it’s something I should get straight onto replacing but I don’t want to throw money at it if it turns out the cvt is gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You didn't say what year it was, or I missed it. Anyway, the rear brakes are two brakes in one. They are the rear disc and the rear parking brakes. Did the guy take the parking brakes apart and check them out ? I have a 08 and an 07 and had the same problem. My parking brakes were shot. The linings came loose and fell down and was the problem. They are glued on and after awhile the glue fails.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines an 08. I wouldn’t think it’d be the parking brake seeing as it’s only making the noise when reverse is selected? When I shift it into neutral and keep rolling back the noise stops.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If your in reverse and backing up at 10 mph then lightly press on the brake does the noise go away?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts