Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be plenty of scraping noise threads around here, but none that specifically cover the issue I appear to be having. Sorry for adding another to the list:

Over the last couple of months, I've noticed a metal-on-metal scraping sound that appears to be coming from both rear wheel areas while turning. When I turn right, the sound appears to come from the driver's side, and when I turn left, the sound seems to come from the passenger's side. The sound is notably louder when the rear is under load, and I hear it from time to time when my rear wheels hit a dip in the road (presumably mimicking a heavily-loaded rear end). The higher the speed of my turn, the more pronounced the sound. The noise is constant during the turn but switches into a rhythmic, rotation-based scraping as I come out of the turn. Then, once I completely straighten out, the sound goes away.

I'd initially assumed this was possibly due to warping of the dust shield that caused scraping on the rotor. After removing both wheels and rotors, the only place I see any bare metal is on the bottom of the hub itself (see attached photos), and all around the inner rim of the rotor. I'd guess this is where the scraping is occurring. The same distinctive wearing is present on both sides. I don't know if this is actually a "new" feature, as I"ve never had to search for anything like this previously.

I'm inclined to think this is an issue with too much wheel bearing movement, but I don't hear the typical wheel noise while at higher speeds, and I don't notice any movement in the wheel when I jack it up and shake back and forth. It's also strange that it started happening on both sides at pretty similar times. The noise is definitely more noticeable and frequent during right hand turns, though.

Vehicle background:
-240k miles on the Patriot when this issue began, and I believe all hubs/bearings are original
-Rear brake pads/rotors have nearly 100,000 miles (mostly highway), but seem to be in great shape with pleny of pad remaining.
-Strut assemblies replaced a couple of months prior to the start of this issue. I'm wondering if this had an effect on hub position/movement that led to this noise. If so, is there an adjustment I can make to the positioning to prevent scraping?

Any input would be great. Thanks, all!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update... I asked a mechanic friend, and his only recommendation was to cut off the dust shield. That's obviously neither an actual answer to what's going on, nor a real fix for the issue.

I'm now at 287k miles, and after a rear brake caliper failed, I had to replace the pads/rotors, which made the scraping unbearably loud, even when driving straight (there was a lot of new metal that hadn't previously been scraped away). The only way I could resolve this was to use a Dremel to grind down the inner rim of my rotors and some of the dust shield where the scraping was happening. I know this isn't ideal, but it was the only way to prevent my rotors from "screaming" every time the vehicle moved.

I'd still love to hear any thoughts anyone might have... I'm hesitant to replace components unless I know that I need to.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Congrats on the high miles!

Forgive me if you've covered this and I've missed it, but have the hubs ever been replaced or checked?

·
7,817 Posts
Great to see those miles! You beat me.

As for the noise, just be sure your frame is solid. Some Patriots have had premature rust issues with the frame, but that's usually in front not in back. Still wouldn't hurt to check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Sandstone No, neither the hubs nor the bearings have never been replaced. I did ask the Jeep dealership to take a look at this issue while they were replacing a leaking CV axle last year (Thanks, Lifetime Warranty!). I specifically asked them to look at the bearings and hubs, but they said the cause of the noise is that my rear brake pads were completely worn and needed to be replaced (they even generously quoted me $475 to handle the brake job!). Knowing the pads were still in great shape, I respectfully declined. So I have attempted to have them inspected, but it's pretty clear they didn't actually investigate.

@Ignatz The frame is good... I had my crossmembers replaced under the recall back around 165k miles. No other rust on the underside of the vehicle (though my hood, tailgate and roof are getting more bubbly by the month). There's no notable rust on any of the suspension components, but a lot of them are still original stock parts. I haven't found anything obvious, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are some worn-out bushings under there. The hard part is determining which ones might be worth replacing in order to resolve this issue.

Many thanks to both of you for the follow-up... Always a great community around here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts