Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maintenance has been key to my good experience thus far. I often perform the maintenance ahead of schedule. With that being said, I have a 2015 automatic six speed that's racked up 86,000 miles. Are there any other components from your experience that probably should be replaced that aren't in the owners manual maintenance schedule?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,493 Posts
The sway bar bushings tend to wear out around 60 - 80 k, so check on those. Also check the front and rear suspension crossmembers for rust, especially in areas that salt the roads in winter.

·
Administrator
6,745 Posts
As Mret2 said, depending on where you live, you may want to have the cross-members/subframes treated with Krown Rust Control or spray them inside and out with fluid film.

Some have been fortunate not to have rust issues, but others have had serious problems.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,898 Posts
Welcome!

Others seem to think the Patriot front-ends are fragile but mine were solid. Plenty of frost heaves around here.

Likewise the frame. I think it's a pretty small minority that had rust problems, apparently due to how the a/c was drained onto the frame. I got over 250,000 miles on my 2008 Patriot and 10 New England winters with no rust. My 2014 is at 140,000 and also still solid. Check it, sure, but don't lose sleep over it.

Good maintenance is key to longevity. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My 2014 (bought spring '13) is approaching 95,000 miles with no major repairs yet* - knock on wood.........thank you miss winter chill Patriot......good Karma invoked!

I just had my second tranny fluid change recently. I changed the power steering fluid twice. Brake fluid was exchanged when I replaced pads and shoes (once each). I detail the exterior twice a year - wash, clay, sealant (paint health is important), rubber treatment. I just did a radiator coolant drain/fill at about 2/3 the recommended interval (10 yr/150K). I'm keeping my eye on the serpentine belt, but many claim they last a extraordinary amount of time now a days.

I get my Pat Krowned annually. In Michigan the worst problem is rust starting in the weld seams, working from the inside out (door bottoms, rockers, etc.).

* Last weekend I had to replace a defective HVAC recirculation door actuator (motor) - click,click,click under the dash. This is VERY common on Chrysler vehicles and there are lots of YouTube video instructions. Mine was the one directly under the glove compartment, right of the HVAC fan. Very easy and inexpensive to diy. There are 3 HVAC actuator motors on our Pats - all are the same part number.

·
Administrator
6,745 Posts
..... the worst problem is rust starting in the weld seams, working from the inside out (door bottoms, rockers, etc.).
This is what I've seen as well. On mine the welds on the cross-members started first. Fluid film sprayed both inside and out has kept it from getting worse.

Since I don't live in a state that's covered by the cross-member 10 year extended warranty, I'd rather do a yearly rust prevention treatment than a replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I also heard the throttle body tends to go around 80k miles?

Twice a year I drive to west Texas to visit my mom and I live in northwestern PA. The last thing I need is to break down somewhere in between. So far my preventative maintenance has worked out.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,898 Posts
I also heard the throttle body tends to go around 80k miles?
I have no reason to think so.
The TB on my 2008 Patriot failed at 278,562. No problems before that. There was no mistaking what the problem was.
The TB on my 2014 Patriot is at 145,000 and still running fine.

I think a lot of people are mistaking other things for TB problems.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ignatz, I think we all need to line up and rub/pat your head 3 times to imbibe your extraordinary Patriot luck!

I disagree, as there is a fair amount of internet chatter about the plastic gears in the throttle body breaking. Mine went out early and my excellent dealer did a good will repair for $100. I didn't tell them, but I blamed it on some inadvertent water in the engine compartment that I think mucked up an electrical signal. My mechanic friend disagrees and thinks it was coincidence.

Fortunately, the part can be diy-able with minimum tools and experience. It is a minor issue compared to all the problems many other brands are having due to the increased complexity of today's recent offerings (IMO).

My dealer has defective throttle bodies on their desks as paper weights, lol.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,898 Posts
Ignatz, I think we all need to line up and rub/pat your head 3 times to imbibe your extraordinary Patriot luck!
Maybe I'm leading a charmed life? Not always true. I canned my new 1993 Cherokee after six months because of a repeated problem with the clutch, and my beloved 2008 Patriot had its tranny replaced at 110,000 and 270,000 so it was on its third (non)gear-box when I sold it a little shy of 280,000. Basically I sold it for the price of the TB repair and something else they did at the same time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The sway bar bushings tend to wear out around 60 - 80 k, so check on those.
Wouldn't you know that they recently went out around 86k. It looks like straight forward procedure to replace them. I hope. I hate complications. A lower control arm bushing is shot as well.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot, High Altitude, CVT II
7 Posts
Wouldn't you know that they recently went out around 86k. It looks like straight forward procedure to replace them. I hope. I hate complications. A lower control arm bushing is shot as well.
How did the sway bar bushings replacement go? Any complications? Been thinking about replacing mine before they eventually go out. I know the size of the bushings vary on each Patriot, but do you remember what size you used?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts