Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been spending the past few weeks going through pretty much all the threads on this forum. Lots of good information. I really enjoy reading this forum!

But honestly, I am a little concerned about buying a 2011 Patriot. The postings of leaking and the postings about the ball joints are disconcerting.

I realize that this forum only represents a fraction of the total number of Patriots that have been sold. But, at the same time, this forum serves as a good representative sample.

Of course, the problem is that few Patriot owners will take the time to post "hey I have no leaks" or "I have not had to replace the ball joints in xx miles". A few have, but probably not a representative sample of all Patriot owners. So the presence of prodigious numbers of problematic postings in relation to "no problem" postings can not be considered representative.

So the purpose of my ponderous pedantic post is: Where can I find information on how common are these leaks and ball joint problems over the entire population of Patriots?

If only 7% of patriots leak and 9% of them need ball joints replaced prior to 50K, that's ok. But if the actual number is 50% of patriots leak and 60% need ball joints before 50K, then my passion for purchasing a Patriot plummets.

So what are the collimated faeces? Are these problems common (40-50%) with Patriots or uncommon (10%)

Nooblet minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Take your best deal on a Patriot, and add in $500 for a Moog ball joint upgrade and a length of weed-wacker twine if you get a Patriot with a sunroof, and need to clear the channel.

What you'll save in fuel economy and the initial purchase price can go a long way towards buying a Chrysler lifetime / unlimited mileage warranty, if you are so inclined.

I think, for the bread, you get a lot of vehicle in the Patriot- and there might be some corners cut to build the vehicle to a price, but so far, nothing earth shattering.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
58K miles on mine, never a leak, ball joints ok so far.

You just need to consider what your buying as transportation. All vehicles need some things at some time. You should consider all operating costs when considering a vehicle, not just the sticker price.

Purchase price
Insurance costs
Maintenance and repairs

Even with the front end issues, the Patriot is by far the best option for me. I need decent mileage as I drive at least 100 miles a day. I need room for all my stuff on weekends. I need 4x4, ground clearance, and skid plates just for my driveway.

If you add up all the costs over the time you have your vehicle, you can divide and determine what your costs were (or are going to be) per month, or per mile.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I've put my money where my mouth is. My first Patriot had a roof leak in the suicidal league. Into the dealers four times. Did they cure it? Dunno, 'cos I left it with them, took their best offer and bought another one.
I've owned sixteen LandRovers. I would have definitely made that seventeen, if I hadn't fallen out big time with the LandRover dealership (no complaints about their cars, by the way, just that I hate being taken for a ride, figuratively speaking). That's how I ended up with a Jeep, 'cos there are only two off-roaders in this world; that's Jeep or LandRover. I don't regret buying either of the Patriots, even taking the roof leak into account. These last two weeks we've had snow that'd make you expect to bump into Manny the |Mammoth. My main worry has been concentrating upon driving around the guys who are stuck.

Rocal

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Actually I think you might be close on the only 7% of patriots leak and 9% of them need ball joints replaced prior to 50K. Seriously, From what I've read here I really think you are close. I needed joints at 50K. I bought ones that carry a life time Warranty. They were under $200 INCLUDING LABOR! I think 7% on leaking might even be a little high. Maybe more like 4%. The leaking seems to have been cured since Fiat bought in.

This is a really good car for the money.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have 103k km on our Patriot and have never had a leak and I have the ball joints and tie rods checked every oil change and so far everything is good.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
This is a really good Jeep for the money.
yes - that's the point of the Patriot. It might be cheap in some places, but you sure get your money's worth (at least I did in 2008 with 0% financing on an 07)

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
yes - that's the point of the Patriot. It might be cheap in some places, but you sure get your money's worth (at least I did in 2008 with 0% financing on an 07)
car vs. Jeep......;)

You have to remember, I have a CJ and a Willys.:D The Patriot is my "car".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got 0% financing on my 2010 - hard to find that deal anywhere else, great jeep, solid everyday driver and capable off-roader.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
But honestly, I am a little concerned about buying a 2011 Patriot. The postings of leaking and the postings about the ball joints are disconcerting.
It is my understanding that the leaking issues were more a problem with the earlier year models. Don't quote me on that though - I drive a '07 and it doesn't leak. :)

The ball joints are in my opinion garbage, yes. But do you really think that having them replaced with Moog parts once they start to give you trouble is that big of a hassle that it makes the Patriot not worth buying? It's not like the ball joint is going to fail without warning, after all. You'll have plenty of time to get it fixed once the clunking sound starts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if I were to replace the factory ball joints with the Moog ones, that should take care of the problem? Is ths something you would recommend doing the first time the factory joints go out or will that somehow void some warrentee?

And no, I would not make my decision whether to buy a Patroit based solely on the ball joints as they seem fixable. I am more concerned with the leaks. I have no intention of buying a Patriot with a sun roof (I don't like sun roofs actually). But it is concerning to hear about leaks when there is no sunroof. Especially when I read that fixing the leaks is difficult.

Honestly, this is something I would not expect from a marque like Jeep, especially when we are not talking about a removable roof. But rest assured, I am not bailing on the Patriot yet. I still have months to go before I make my decision. I greatly appreciate the feedback on my concern though.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Yep !! doing your homework on here & the Internet is a great idea . I always do it before considering a new car.

However , whatever you buy these days is a bit of a Lottery---you may just end up with a bad one!!

I was warned off a big old 2nd hand Daewoo Leganza , & I am ultra critical of cars, turned out to be one of the best cars I've ever driven.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've only had 1 leak. But did have to replace axle, hub, speed sensor, abs sensor.

I still have an on going issue with my dealer installed MOPAR remote start setting my alarm off occasionally.

- Dan M

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
However , whatever you buy these days is a bit of a Lottery---you may just end up with a bad one!
Truer words have seldom been posted. Lemons come from every marque. I bet there are bad Rolls Royces sometimes.

It is a lottery.

But as the song goes "If it wern't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all". Thats me. If there is a lemony car out there, I will get it. :(

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Mine is one of the ball joint/tie rod satistics. I do not have any leaks tho!

Although I do have a lift now, when these parts had originally gone bad, I did not. So I can't blame the lift.

I attribute it half to bad roads in my area, and the other half bad engineering by Chrysler.

The good new is, I only paid 15k for my patriot, so I have no problem buying some aftermarket moog ball joints/tie rods once the warranty is up. As long as they last a bit longer of course.

What kind of driving do you do, and how are the roads in your area? That will probably make a huge difference on how long your suspension parts last.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts