Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Sad news, I can Patriot no more...

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  robi454 
#1 ·
Today I lost a stratigic battle, which almost cost me the war. I took the Patriot to the dealership to get the Oil changed, and while we were waiting. My wife jumped behind the wheel of a new 2011 Grand Cherokee. After the test drive she said three simple words and broke my heart..."Trade it in". :doh:

I bought the Patriot for her two years ago after two years of researching the Patriot and comparing it to all of the other SUV's on the road. Alas what Mamma wants Mamma gets. So monday we are taking the Patriot down to the Dealership and trading it in.

But in the negotation I haggeled my way into a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited RHD :pepper: for less then we pay for the Patriot. Man those guys at the dealership are desperate to sell.

You see I traded my wife, the Patriot for a Grand Cherokee which we cannot afford, so I get to get a new Wrangler now and then in four months after our two credit cards are paid off we will have enough money to get her Cherokee. So while losing a battle, I indeed won the war. I will miss the Patriot. It was a good little Jeep.

I'll still pop in like I do and give some advice and heat up some of the political debates, with my usual boderline insane comments. I have to say of all of the Websites I frequent, this is my favorite.

Reasons for selling the Patriot are as follows.
1. I overpaid for it
2. All of the extra money I paid for it the dealership (BARTON JEEP of Spokane)i s refunding and using as a downpayment towards my Wrangler.
3. (According to my wife) the Patriot is ok for a family of three but now she is with child (agiain) so we need a larger vehicle.
4. I'm getting an amazing deal on the Wrangler, nearly 10K off the MSRP!
5. It still gets better gas milage then my 78 Blazer

Reasons I wanted to Keep the Patriot
1. 26 MPGs on the highway
2. I love the look of it
3. I have attatchment issues to vehicles
4. It was an amazing little vehicle
5. It was my first new car. (not my first car)

I wanted to give it to my son when he grew up, but I still got 14 1/2 years until he starts driving.

I'm gonna miss it...:(...

See less See more
#5 ·
We haven't agreed on which GC we will be getting yet (I want the base model and she wants the 46k model) I am happy that I will be getting more for less. In this economy the buyer can name your own price (almost litteraly) if you want to upgrade, now is the time to do it.

I want to stress how sad I am to lose the Patriot. 2 years not a single problem, other then a flat tire. Amazing little Jeep.

#8 ·
Similar story here, I love my Patriot, but it's time to trade it in for a new(er) one, but...

Incredibly, because the Cherokee is now discontinued, I have picked one up with 5k miles on the clock, with all the leather and everything for £10k less than book. Gotta try one while I can.

Sad loss of the Patriot from the showrooms, we have loved ours for the last 4 years.

Lets hope the Italians know what they are doing

Miff

#10 ·
Well, we went to Barton Jeep Spokane yesterday, and drove the Wrangler Unlimited Sport they didn't have a Sahara on the lot. Then my wife gets out of the Wrangler and walks over to the line of Grand Cherokees while I was talking to the dealer trying to get the price lowered. That guy walks into the dealership and another guy comes out with the keys to a vehicle my wife is looking at. All of my red flags go off at once. That guy gets in the car with my wife and they take off down the road with my wife behind the wheel of a 42k grand cherokee...

My guy doesn't even come back out until after my wife and the other guy get back from the test drive. After they park the car, he gets out my wife is grinning ear to ear. He says "I'm gonna get you into this for the same price as that Wrangler come on in side."

I was like "Ok, I wana see both plans side by side and we'll make a decision."

He comes back with a sticker price from a 70th Anv. Sahara and a sticker price from a base model grand cherokee laredo and offers me way less trade in value than The other dealer had for my patroit and tells me that his bank can get me a lower interest rate then USAA. Refuses to go below sitcker on the Wrangler and adds $1500 to the price. but drops that Laredo price to 33K... I gathered up all of my stuff grabbed my wife and said "I came in here to lower my payments not raise them 30%" The guy just looked down and said "this is the best we can do." B.S. I was pissed off.

The org. offer I got over the phone was 19.5K trade in for my Patriot, 27K for the wrangler unlimited Sahara. My bank would loan me the money, I walked in preapproved for a loan for 31k from my bank.

When I got there a second dealer offered me 18 for my Patriot and 32.5K for a Sahara 70th Anv edition or 33k for the Laredo. according to the Jeep website in my area the Sahara is like 28-29k and the laredo is like 30k. I reifananced my loan for the patriot today and lowered my payments. I won't be going back to that dealership again.

#12 ·
Yes, refianced the Patriot today lowered my monthly payments. We will travel the extra 25 miles into Idaho for our future jeeps.

#14 ·
Man, that elation dies quickly once you realize someone is trying to take advantage of your family. Worst feeling I’ve ever had dealing with automobiles. I’ve bought and sold a lot of vehicles in my life so walking in there telling them what I want and talking down the price to a level I could afford was easy for me. But my wife is new to this so it was easy for them to distract her.
After refinancing the Patriot now I'm thinking of adding some personality to the Patriot maybe a 2 inch lift, new rims and tires, bush guard, roof rack or basket. Now that I'm paying 20% less each month I have some more money to mod it out.
I don't know if I will attempt to deal with that dealership again or not. The first guy seemed to want to get me into the wrangler at a reasonable price, but the second guy just wanted to sell me the Laredo and new my wife could be used get more money out of me. I got a call from the sales manager today apologizing for his salesmen trying to take advantage of me, and insisted that it would never happen again. He didn’t offer me any reason to go back other than his word that we would be able to get the original deal on the wrangler if I still wanted it. I told him that we would not be returning just to be tricked again. He offered me a Liberty for 25k, then a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon at the Sahara Sticker price. Blah blah blah…
My wife really does want a Grand Cherokee, so in a few months after my anger subsides I may go back with cash in hand and see if that gets me a better deal. But you can bet I’m leaving my wife at home.

#15 ·
Sadly there are plenty of dealers that still work that way. I've had a few times like that. I went through a little BS when I looked for my Patriot at a local dealership. I searched on line and wound up driving 235 miles to another state to get mine. Dealer ship was great. No surprizes or add on's when I got there. Good Luck.....(don't give them another chance!)

#17 ·
I'm thinking of either flying or taking a bus to either Montana, where I have property or to Oregon, where I am from (both states have no sales tax) unlike ultra liberal Washington which has a ultra high sales tax nearly 10% and climbing. Looking at saving $1500 to $3000, price of a plane ticket is about $700.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.