Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder if any of you aren't aware, there's a warranty extension of 10 years for any 2008-2012 Patriots.

I have a 2010 with a rusted crossmember (I bought it used it 2012), I called FCA, they said its under warranty until August. Was actually surprised.

I'm getting it replaced soon at the dealer.

·
8,158 Posts
Lucky you! I'm surprised that as the second owner you got warranty coverage. I thought it was only for the original owner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucky you! I'm surprised that as the second owner you got warranty coverage. I thought it was only for the original owner.
That's what I thought, but some articles said check anyway, so I called them up. They said I'm covered. Lets see what happens when I actually get there, though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's what I thought, but some articles said check anyway, so I called them up. They said I'm covered. Lets see what happens when I actually get there, though.
Same thing happened to me--except that I called two months too late. Im the second owner of my 2010 Patriot and was told that the warranty "would" have covered my cross member had I called them two months ago(three months ago now!). Anyway. from what Ive heard the "free" warranty work to replace the cross member isnt really all that "free". The dealership wont replace just the cross member. They'll require the replacement of pretty much everything that attaches to the cross member as well-stuff like the control arms, tie rods, ball joints, sway bar links, maybe even the sway bar too. And they will require that they replace all of these things with very expensive OEM parts. The problem is, the warranty covers ONLY the cost of the cross member and its replacement. All those other parts and the labor to remove the old and install the new will come out of your bank account. In another thread, Ive seen people who describe the "free" warranty work as costing them in a realm close to $2k.

While it is a great idea to change out all of those other things while you've got the cross member out anyway, you can get out of the deal WAY WAY cheaper by purchasing aftermarket parts instead of overpriced OEM and installing them yourself(if you have the tools, skills and ambition to do so). I just did my front cross member for a total of $405 and $250 of that was given to a friend for his help. Neither did I replace anything but the cross member(and sway bar links) since I had replaced all the rest just a year or so ago anyway. Even so, you can get all those extra parts and the cross member for less than $240. And to those OEM worshipers who may criticize my use of aftermarket parts, please not this little fact: The entire reason that I replaced all my OEM front suspension parts a year or so ago is because those OEM parts totally failed after just 30k very gently driven miles(my Patriot still has under 43k now). Furthermore, I can afford to replace those parts many times over compared to what the dealership quoted me to do the same job just once using OEM parts($1700 and that did NOT include the cross member lol).

Anyway, whichever route you take, good luck. Id be interested to know the outcome as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing happened to me--except that I called two months too late. Im the second owner of my 2010 Patriot and was told that the warranty "would" have covered my cross member had I called them two months ago(three months ago now!). Anyway. from what Ive heard the "free" warranty work to replace the cross member isnt really all that "free". The dealership wont replace just the cross member. They'll require the replacement of pretty much everything that attaches to the cross member as well-stuff like the control arms, tie rods, ball joints, sway bar links, maybe even the sway bar too. And they will require that they replace all of these things with very expensive OEM parts. The problem is, the warranty covers ONLY the cost of the cross member and its replacement. All those other parts and the labor to remove the old and install the new will come out of your bank account. In another thread, Ive seen people who describe the "free" warranty work as costing them in a realm close to $2k.

While it is a great idea to change out all of those other things while you've got the cross member out anyway, you can get out of the deal WAY WAY cheaper by purchasing aftermarket parts instead of overpriced OEM and installing them yourself(if you have the tools, skills and ambition to do so). I just did my front cross member for a total of $405 and $250 of that was given to a friend for his help. Neither did I replace anything but the cross member(and sway bar links) since I had replaced all the rest just a year or so ago anyway. Even so, you can get all those extra parts and the cross member for less than $240. And to those OEM worshipers who may criticize my use of aftermarket parts, please not this little fact: The entire reason that I replaced all my OEM front suspension parts a year or so ago is because those OEM parts totally failed after just 30k very gently driven miles(my Patriot still has under 43k now). Furthermore, I can afford to replace those parts many times over compared to what the dealership quoted me to do the same job just once using OEM parts($1700 and that did NOT include the cross member lol).

Anyway, whichever route you take, good luck. Id be interested to know the outcome as well.
Thats bull**** that you were a couple months late, they should have worked with you. This is a safety issue and honestly should have been a recall. I only stumbled on this issue because another poster told me to check. It's totally unreal how they keep botching things.

I already replaced my control arms and sway bar links because the factory crap failed at 40k. I have 50k on it now. If they want me to buy new ones, I'll call FCA and complain (not that it would help, but who knows).

If this repair costs more than $500, I'll just go to my local guy who would probably do it for around that price with an aftermarket part. I'll also never buy a Chrysler product again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thats bull**** that you were a couple months late, they should have worked with you. This is a safety issue and honestly should have been a recall. I only stumbled on this issue because another poster told me to check. It's totally unreal how they keep botching things.

I already replaced my control arms and sway bar links because the factory crap failed at 40k. I have 50k on it now. If they want me to buy new ones, I'll call FCA and complain (not that it would help, but who knows).

If this repair costs more than $500, I'll just go to my local guy who would probably do it for around that price with an aftermarket part. I'll also never buy a Chrysler product again.
Good luck to you. If you end up bringing it to your local guy with an aftermarket crossmember, check Walmart online believe it or not. I got mine there for $122 and it included the hardware kit(new installation nuts and bolts). Ebay has them as well for just a few bucks more. An OEM crossmember goes for over $600 😱

1 - 7 of 7 Posts