Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody has rusting issues so far?

Mine doesn't, it is only 3 months old but it is one of my main worry considering having my Patriot for as long as possible.

What do you guys think about the Patriot rusting?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just kiddin'....I think most cars today are much more rust resistant than they use to be. However, if they use alot of road salt where you live, then a rustproofing might help.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I noticed some slight surface rust on the outside edges of the center cap on the wheels.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Floor trays. Weathertech or Husky. Every car I've ever had rusted through the floor. Salty snow gets on your feet and melts into the rug. Where the salt stays until the floor rusts through several years later.

Outside, a good coat of wax a couple times a year seals the surface from external forces.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It will be a pile of rust before the powertrain warranty runs out ! :banana:
Here in Canada, powertrain warranty is 5 year. I wish to keep the Jeep for at least 10 years. And yes they do put a lot of salt on the road during winter. Anti-rust treatment will be an option this spring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there,
Firstly, I just found out after my Jeep first winter, there's some rust from the metal inside the rubber at the rear passenger doors. This rubber used to block the cold, and when it's cut, they didn't cover the cut so the inside metal is exposed. The rust is stuck badly near the passenger seat. I've use some lemon jus to clean it out but it's still there.

Secondly, I remark there's some rust dots on the inside of the back door, some on the door...
Anyway...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hi there,
Firstly, I just found out after my Jeep first winter, there's some rust from the metal inside the rubber at the rear passenger doors. This rubber used to block the cold, and when it's cut, they didn't cover the cut so the inside metal is exposed. The rust is stuck badly near the passenger seat. I've use some lemon jus to clean it out but it's still there.

Secondly, I remark there's some rust dots on the inside of the back door, some on the door...
Anyway...
my caliber had that problem on the rear drivers door too...they warrantied a replacement rubber seal for me.

thsoe little rust spots (about the size of a period (some smaller, some larger) are little bits of contaminents in the clear coat...all vehicles are susceptable to this, a good wash and preferably a clay bar treatment followed by wax will fix that...and the paint is silky smooth after too :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
472 Posts
my wheel wells are rusted. from salt hitting the paint when it gets picked up by the tires. Chrysler says its my fault. but i haven't seen it happening to anyone else though. its rusting where the fenders metal curve down to face the wheel

·
Registered
962 Posts
my wheel wells are rusted. from salt hitting the paint when it gets picked up by the tires. Chrysler says its my fault. but i haven't seen it happening to anyone else though. its rusting where the fenders metal curve down to face the wheel
do you have any pics?

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
13 months old ---still showroom condition!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also have rust in the rubber (sealers or weather stripping) in the back door openings which looks really bad. I'll have them look at it during the next check up. Other then that my brakes get rusted when i don't drive for a few days and it rains but i think thats normal

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently had my jeep repaired and I needed a new door skin. When the shop was done replacing the new skin the shop manager showed me my old skin. There was some surface rust along the inside bottom edge about 1 inch high. I thought it was a bit excessive for a 2 year old car. Looks like I'll be getting rust check from now on.:mad:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Lets be honest...does anyone else here find the guage of steel on the doors, hood and other body parts much thinner than the norm?
Do you think this may have a direct impact on premature rusting?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Lets be honest...does anyone else here find the guage of steel on the doors, hood and other body parts much thinner than the norm?
Definitely... The average hood shouldn't easily flex when you put one finger's worth of pressure on it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
my caliber had that problem on the rear drivers door too...they warrantied a replacement rubber seal for me.

thsoe little rust spots (about the size of a period (some smaller, some larger) are little bits of contaminents in the clear coat...all vehicles are susceptable to this, a good wash and preferably a clay bar treatment followed by wax will fix that...and the paint is silky smooth after too :smiley_thumbs_up:
My clay bar is ready to go, once our weather improves. Still 30 degrees here and a light dusting of snow last night. Still most of our snow pack on the ground, but can't wait to get that rail dust off.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I recently had my jeep repaired and I needed a new door skin. When the shop was done replacing the new skin the shop manager showed me my old skin. There was some surface rust along the inside bottom edge about 1 inch high. I thought it was a bit excessive for a 2 year old car. Looks like I'll be getting rust check from now on.:mad:
do you ever clean that area under the bottom piece of weather stripping?

My clay bar is ready to go, once our weather improves. Still 30 degrees here and a light dusting of snow last night. Still most of our snow pack on the ground, but can't wait to get that rail dust off.
yeah, i can't wait either, i bought a new clay bar kit about 2 months ago LOL

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I have pealed off at least 2 layers of rust as thick as the Patriot sheet metal from my CJ and then repainted it. So the Patriot will go from painted, to surface rust, to hole in one step. Makes that plastic Saturn body look pretty good about now.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts