Jeep Patriot Forums banner

How did you install your Rocky Road lift kit?

• My own two hands.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • With a little help from my friends.

• Took it to a mechanic's shop.

• Took it to the Chrysler Dealer.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Not installed yet, waiting for delivery.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Still deciding on whether to purchsase lift kit.

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Waiting to hear about cv joint problems.

Votes: 4 9.3%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of all of the members here that have RRO lift equipped Patriots, how many have installed the kit with their own two hands?

Just finished her off February 08, 2009 after midnight in a military parking lot. 44 degrees fahrenheit, 15 mph winds from the northwest, hand tools and a flashlight.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I did! I did!

It was pretty annoying getting the bushings to line up in the rear end, but the front went smoothly.

Took me 2 evenings in the parking lot at work to install it, and then 2 visits for an alignment. Had they tightened the nuts the first time, they would have only had to align it once.

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So did I!

I did! I did!

It was pretty annoying getting the bushings to line up in the rear end, but the front went smoothly.

Took me 2 evenings in the parking lot at work to install it, and then 2 visits for an alignment. Had they tightened the nuts the first time, they would have only had to align it once.
I was cussing up a storm on the rear end. By myself, armed with hvac59's instructions, RRO's instructions, and a couple hundred dollars worth of tools I was triumphant! I did not have an alignment pin and my rear sway bar nuts were completely rusted frozen. No amount of WD40, time, or torque were breaking the two lower nuts loose. I had to do the entire rear install in 44 degree weather with the rear sway bar still connected. Needless to say after 3 hours of wrenching, cursing, wrenching, and cursing... I got'R dun!

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn the nuts!

yup, I had the same problem.

btw - the rear sway bar nuts are welded to the frame. The bolt turns from the other side. (or at least one of the nuts that I couldn't get off was like this).
I used the photographs from the write-up by hvac59 to ensure I was disassembling the correct hardware in accordance with his "tool to part" pictures in a step by step fashion. The RRO instructions were very limited and generalized. Was it the right rear nut or left rear nut that you removed? I actually had the right rear backed out by 1 thread, then it refused to budge any further.

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I do, but it's good to share in the frustration. Thanks for the previous and current input!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Haven't made up my mind yet abt RR, but the only thing it's obvious is that I could use some more clearance. I'm still waiting for a while...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's been six months and NO issues. Glad I had 4wheelparts do the job all in one place, I don't have the tools or the friends I had when I was up north.
Our larger tires are four months old and show no wear at all.
And we look GOOD!!!:D
Bella_Bear_Workout_024_Large_.jpg

·
Registered
667 Posts
I got my kit, but will be installing it myself in a few weeks.
BTW, any probs with the camber bolt thingy ?

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Camber bolt.

I got my kit, but will be installing it myself in a few weeks.
BTW, any probs with the camber bolt thingy ?
I personally had the exterior wing of the washer face in toward the vehicle with the interior wing facing out and in the hole, then I tightened bolt down while having concave section of bolt also facing outwards. The earliest I can get my 4 wheel alignment is tomorrow 9am CST. I will let you know if the suspension techs have problems. If I don't mention any problems, it is because there aren't any. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Brandon, make sure you check that all the locking nuts and bolts have been tightened after the alignment.

My mechanic didn't tighten the lock nuts on the rear upper control arms, and also didn't tighten the bolts on the front steering knuckle. Knucklehead had to redo the alignment a week later at his expense (and my hassle to bring it in)

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!

Brandon, make sure you check that all the locking nuts and bolts have been tightened after the alignment.
I definitely will, the only shop in my area that will have time to do the job is the ChryslerJeepDodge Stealership. The Service writer stated that they will only charge me $79.96 USD.

·
Registered
511 Posts
still thinking about. Next winter I'll make my finally decisions

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The Service writer stated that they will only charge me $79.96 USD.[/QUOTE said:
That's a great price. Njoy!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thinking about maybe ordering and installing the lift sometime this summer. Just concerned about finding someone to install it around here, and mostly because UPS would have to ship it to Canada, and I hear that they're probably the worst shipper as far as fees go for importing stuff into Canada.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Copper,

I'm loving the look of your Pat! I have a black Pat and can't wait to put some black wheels on it and lift it one day! Don't worry, I have a 3 foot CB antenna in the back, as well as front and rear deflectors, so we won't be twins :)

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Copper,

I'm loving the look of your Pat! I have a black Pat and can't wait to put some black wheels on it and lift it one day! Don't worry, I have a 3 foot CB antenna in the back, as well as front and rear deflectors, so we won't be twins :)
I wasn't worried in the least. I will be making many more mods. How are those deflectors working out for you?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts