Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lifted my Patriot. Alignment is right on but while driving on the roadways in mushy snow in 4x4 with ESP on my jeep is all over the place. Tried with ESP off and it didnt help. Felt like driving on grease. Any suggestions? I also put brand new Gabriel struts. Everything is tight and solid. A bit scary. My cherokee lift never did this. No torque steer though. ????

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Did you connect your Swaybar ? The RRO Kit comes with new Brackets to connect your Swaybar Endlinks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the questions. Tires are R16 215 70. The jeep was very stable prior to the lift. I didn't do the lift myself so I'll need to check the sway bar. Get back to you soon!

·
Super Moderator
5,550 Posts
I have a vibration on my lift, when accelerating between 15 and 20mph....
Just curious, does it vibrate on hard acceleration only? If so, I wonder if the motor mounts are too soft; allowing the engine to tilt too far and overextend the CV joints. We had a Caravan that went through two sets of half shafts a year because of that. Replacing the stock mount with a 60 durometer urethane mount fixed it.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Just curious, does it vibrate on hard acceleration only? If so, I wonder if the motor mounts are too soft; allowing the engine to tilt too far and overextend the CV joints. We had a Caravan that went through two sets of half shafts a year because of that. Replacing the stock mount with a 60 durometer urethane mount fixed it.
Yes, only under hard acceleration, or sharp turning and brisk acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
5,550 Posts
Yes, only under hard acceleration, or sharp turning and brisk acceleration.
I could be totally wrong, but I'd almost bet money that's what it is. With the lift, the upper CV joints are probably getting close to max angle, and a soft mount allows just enough movement on hard acceleration to cause the axle to rub on the shoulder of the upper CV joint.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine was doing this exact same thing on the ice and in slush. Just took it in for another alignment and the Jeep drives straight as an arrow now. My advice is try an alignment and see if that helps. The tire shop here only charged me $65 because I only needed the front end done. When I intalled the lift I was working at a Ford dealership and one of the techs did it for free. We then tried to do an alignment and were on the rack for 5+ hours. We finally gave up. We got the rear end perfect but the front was giving us problems. I finally had some time so I took it to the tire shop and had them do it. I didn't really want to ruin a $1000 set of tires. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back to the installer and asked for the alignment numbers... they didn't have them, nor was the guy that did it available. I reminded them that I was law enforcement and I wouldn't take too kindly finding out the alignment was done using the SWAG principal. They said they would get the Jeep in immediately and get the alignment done right. It drives perfectly! It's solid...really solid. It is quiet and drives like my old lifted Cherokee did. Love it. I bought a bull bar from CarID for it, and I am disappointed... it's flimsy. I wish Setina made a push bar for Patriots. I had one on my last Cherokee and it's the same one used on our cop jeeps. Anyway... the stainless looks good... but I won't be using the bar for any pushing or pulling. I'll use my hitch. Next are rims and tires... and lights.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Had my lift for the last 7+ years

I added a massive strut bar at same time as lift and no problems as well as very much improved handling in cross winds. Enter some curves at 10-15 mph faster than I could before changes.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Adding a Strut Bar will help with handling. I also added one to my Patriot years ago and it made a big difference. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Where did you guys purchase the strut bar through?

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
My Patriot is a 2007 and I bought a Mopar Strut Bar Brace that fits a Dodge Caliber. It bolts on to the Jeep Patriot too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you for the info! I'll have to see if there's anything for the newer models, but I'm sure there is something that fits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts