Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a sister separated at birth is coming back to haunt Jeep. https://www.allpar.com/news/2018/08/mahindra-fca-fighting-over-jeep-cj-clones-42011 As Jeep departs from its roots, someone else is taking up the slack. Does anyone know if they plan on making this into a street-legal vehicle? Trouble is, to be street-legal it probably has to meet safety and CAFE standards that the original Jeep never could have met. Basically, the government has outlawed "real" Jeeps or jeep-like vehicles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had read about this a while ago. At that time it was going to be sold as a "side by side", not street legal, but would be cool if they could get it made street legal. At least it has more safety features than my motorcycle, lol.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Wrangler is Jeep's one and only success in modern times and it carries the Jeep brand with a huge profit margin and level of brand recognition, so Fiat will not allow a solid competitor on the open-market, even in limited numbers. It's just not going to slide unless there are drastic changes to the designs.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
It will never meet safety regulations, so it will be sold as a side by side. (which are street legal in AZ, but they cannot go over 45mph or drive on the freeways).

Jeep has nothing to worry about, Yes there is a small group of enthusiasts who want an old jeep (myself included), BUT the vast majority of people want a comfortable vehicle to drive on road. This is not it. they want to carry their 2.2 kids, this is not it. they want to stay dry/warm/cold. This is not a vehicle that can provide that. this is for a select few enthusiasts with a lot of disposable income for a toy.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
It will never meet safety regulations, so it will be sold as a side by side. (which are street legal in AZ, but they cannot go over 45mph or drive on the freeways).
Sounds like you're describing my old surplus army jeep! I rather doubt if mine should have been street legal, it didn't meet all the lighting needs, no seat belts, top speed was about 45--and that was pushing it--and with it's loose steering mechanism, I'd say it was unsafe at any speed. But, that didn't stop me from driving it on secondary roads--never once considered freeway driving in CA. I had a potential buyer in CA who wanted it delivered about 150 miles away, and that required about 10 miles of freeway driving, or going the long way making the trip more than 200 miles. Fortunately a guy closer to home upped his offer and I didn't have to make the drive--in the cooler weather with no heater, side curtains, etc. But it was fun to drive, a little off-roading, but as we entered into parade driving, the off-roading (especially into mud...) ceased as it was too much work to make it presentable!

·
Registered
188 Posts
My beef with the Roxor is that I despise "imported Americana". Past that, I think the market should determine it's fate, unless Jeep wants to bring back the CJ as a UTV, in which case their IP claim would have standing.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My beef with the Roxor is that I despise "imported Americana". Past that, I think the market should determine it's fate, unless Jeep wants to bring back the CJ as a UTV, in which case their IP claim would have standing.
It's no more "imported Americana" than the current Jeep Renegade though. Fiat is a global corporation just like Mahindra and both own manufacturing plants here in the US. Difference is the Roxor is assembled in Michigan and the Renegade is assembled in Italy.

End of the day it's a competitively priced diesel powered UTV with a different body style, some will like it, some will hate it, but they are licensed to make it and I doubt it will affect sales of the Wrangler at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts