Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2014 Jeep Patriot Sport with 17" wheels. Just had the rotors replaced a few months ago and they're already cracked. Shop is saying it's because they don't fit my wheels and every time they torque down to 90lbs, it's gonna crack. I've never had this issue before. Any idea what size the rear rotors would need to be with a 17" wheel rather than the stock 16"? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think somebody's telling you some goofy stories.. rotors either fit inside the caliper or they don't. The caliper has a fixed position relative to the axle and if the rotor was too large it wouldn't fit inside the caliper at all.

The front brake rotors on all '14 Patriots were the same size, 294mm I think. The rears could be two different sizes - 302mm or 262mm .

It's probably possible for somebody to install the 262mm rear rotors on a Patriot that was supposed to have 302mm but it would be obvious right away that it's too small. It wouldn't be possible to go the other way around. I don't know conclusively what was different between the 262mm and 302mm.. I think it could be 2wd's get the smaller ones and 4wd's get the bigger ones, because the traction control on these vehicles makes heavy use of brakes and that wouldn't be as important for the rear wheels on a 2wd.

In any case none of that would have anything to do with lug nut torque.. that part doesn't sound right, either someone's telling you stories or it lost something in translation.

·
Administrator
6,361 Posts
I've got a 2014 Jeep Patriot Sport with 17" wheels. Just had the rotors replaced a few months ago and they're already cracked. Shop is saying it's because they don't fit my wheels and every time they torque down to 90lbs, it's gonna crack. I've never had this issue before. Any idea what size the rear rotors would need to be with a 17" wheel rather than the stock 16"? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Standard rear rotors are 262mm, diesel export models take 302mm, FWD models have rear drum.

Measure the rotor if you're not sure.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,689 Posts
I think rear rotor size here in the states varies 2wd optional rear disc vs. 4wd standard rear disc, or FD1 vs. FD2. Either way, there are a couple different sizes, but I don't think it matters which you have even if you're running 16-inch wheels. Maybe they sold you crappy rotors or something. Patriot lugnut torque to hold the wheels and tires on is 100 ft/lbs, not 90, either way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2015 4WD High Altitude with 17s, and I physically measured the rears. The rears are 262mm. This is the most common in US with 4WD. IF, and that's a big IF, the shop is torqueing the wheels to 90-100 ft. lbs., the only other way rotors would be cracking would be attributed to the "high quality" material if these are some cheap Chinese junk. Many shops throw on the cheapest pads and rotors, and yet still charge a customer a premium price just to boost profits.

My advice would be to either go to another reputable brake shop, or buy yourself some quality parts online, like a set of
Power Stop Evolution Z17s or Evolution Performance Z23s. You can look then up on their website, and then shop them at various vendors listed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd be interested to know where abouts the cracks are on the rotors? Do you have any photos or know where they are? In my experience solid rotors very rarely visabily crack.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My advice would be to either go to another reputable brake shop, or buy yourself some quality parts online, like a set of
Power Stop Evolution Z17s or Evolution Performance Z23s. You can look then up on their website, and then shop them at various vendors listed.
Just want to mention that Stop Tech and EBC are also really good brands to look into, I've got EBCs on mine and I'm really happy with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts