Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long shot but I’m hoping someone can help me out. My 2007 Sport standard has been making a strange noise since a little over a year ago. I haven’t been driving it much because of this but every couple months I take it for a drive and try to figure it out as I did yesterday. The sound it’s making is a high pitched, rotating, metal on metal sound almost like a heat shield pressing against a brake rotor. It only makes this sound under light load at high speed. It goes away if I am accelerating or coasting and is worst when maintaining speed.

Obviously I started with checking all the heat shields. I replaced the brakes, including the e-brake cause it needed it anyway. I have done motor mounts thinking it was pressing on my axles or drive shaft but no change. I checked the wheel bearings but they seem fine. I haven’t pulled the CV axles but they’re new within the last 50000km and it doesn’t seem like an axle noise. Fluid levels were good in the transmission, PTU and RDU and were all changed around the same time as the axles. The clutch and driveshaft were replaced a couple years ago as well.

My Patriot is approaching the 200000km mark so if it’s an engine or transmission problem, it will likely be the end of the line. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I could check before deciding my Jeep is at the end of its life? I may take it to a shop for an inspection, it pains me to have to do it, I’ve put over 100000km on it and never run into something I couldn’t fix or even diagnose.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a problem with the heat shield above the drive shaft rubbing on the driveshaft once, it made sounds like that and left witness marks on the drive shaft too.

I know it's risky, but running it on a lift or jack stands might help you find it.
I didn’t see any marks on the driveshaft when I was under there last but I’ll definitely check again tomorrow in the daylight. The sound is exactly what that would sound like, I just haven’t been able to find it. Thanks for the suggestion. If I can get it into a garage I’ll give that a try, I don’t have a shop anymore and no garage at my house unfortunately. If I did, even a transmission wouldn’t be the end but I did the clutch in the driveway and I’m not doing that again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the sound is coming from the rear, it might be contact on the rotor. Ill do my best to describe it as I have the same intermittent issue.

On the rear rotor, there is a small groove and the groove seats over the base of the dust shield. I'm guessing it is there to keep crud out of the parking brake. if the base of the shield gets bent it can come into contact with the groove and the rotor. I noticed it when I did my rear brakes over the summer. I did my best to bend it back in place and decided not to put any kind of brake caliper lube in this little groove. Figured if the noise got any worse I'd take the rotor off and grind down any rough spots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts