·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A comprehensive thread for the Yakima Load Warrior Roof Basket:

(A work in progress)

Basket's Official Site:
Yakima Load Warrior

Installation Instructions can be downloaded from the link above :smiley_thumbs_up:

The basket comes in a factory sealed box when you buy it from a retailer. I bought mine from Sports Chalet in Las Vegas, NV. I bought my Locking Brackets from REI.

The install was pretty straight forward, but because I decided to do it in the blazing sun in a Hotel blacktop parking lot, it took me 2 hours and 2 minutes. I suggest a garage and a beverage of your choice (I live on the road, so no garage).

To keep from scratching the basket, I made sure to make use of the plastic that it came with, as you'll see in the pictures.

What is Needed:
1) Box cutter (makes opening the box and plastic bags easy)
2) Phillips Head Screw Driver
3) Tape Measure
4) Stepping stool (it will save us short people from standing on the inside door jamb which isn't comfy when you're trying to focus.)
5) A friend to help you balance your crossing bars and basket (If I got a dollar for each time I had to jump from one side of the Jeep to the other, I'd be rich!)

Also, if you're like me, you'll want to secure your basket. I bought the locking brackets. They're sold in Pairs, and one pair is all you need! They come with locks and two keys. Cost: $60 USD - tax.

Size of Basket: 44 inches Long, 39 inches Wide and 6.5 inches high.

Weight: 25 lbs. (I had no problem lifting it and placing it on top of the Jeep by myself, but having a buddy steady it is good to have.)

Loading Limit: 140 LBS (63 KG)

Construction: The Basket is made of, according to the site, Steel tubing that is galvanized and powder painted for superior corrosion resistance.

Instructions state that you should have your cross bars 30 inches (76.2 cm) apart. (I also opened the gate to see its range of motion and space needed for it to operate so it wouldn't interfere with the basket.)

Fairing: The fairing attaches to the bottom of the basket and can be set in the up position, or in a down position. This is convenient if you're hauling long slender items in your basket.

Tip: Make sure that the Tabs on the brackets that secure the basket to the cross bars are facing out board! It says this in the directions... but did I read that part? No... :doh: So make sure you do :)

The Official Jeep Website lists the Patriot's overall Height with Roof Rack as 65.7 Inches or 1.7 m

Total Height of my Jeep Patriot FDI Sport 4x4 including Yakima roof rack (lowrider towers) and Load Warrior Basket: ~74 inches just over 6 Feet / 1.9 m
(best I could measure by myself so far).

After Installing the basket, I felt that a Mega Warrior could easily fit on the Patriot. In fact, I'm tempted to buy one and then ebay which ever one doesn't work out. I measured the Mega Warrior that was demo'd at Sport Chalet in Vegas. I was 48 inches across, the same as my cross bars. it was also longer. I feel that it would fill out the roof much better than the Load Warrior.

Future projects:
Spare Tire Carrier
Jerry Can Carrier
Off Road Lights
And your questions of course :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continued Pics

Pics:

Basket w/ Fairing

Basket w/ Fairing flipped down

Measuring 30 Inches for the Cross Bars

Bracket Close up

Basket secured to roof rack

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some Views of the Basket:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Great writeup! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
860 Posts
NIce basket. It seems though that a larger one would be even better ... as you say it would make more use of the roof space. Post more pics if you get and mount the bigger one! How much is the bigger basket compared to this one?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NIce basket. It seems though that a larger one would be even better ... as you say it would make more use of the roof space. Post more pics if you get and mount the bigger one! How much is the bigger basket compared to this one?
The Yakima Load Warrior costs $330.00 USD. The Mega Warrior (their high end model) costs about $100 more.

Dimensions: 52 inches Long by 48 inches wide, and is also 6.5 inches tall.

The Mega Warrior weights 48 lbs (22 Kg), almost twice as much as the Load Warrior.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its so small.. and cute! lol.. jk - nice work
Its all ready to go for my trip to So Cal! I'll be close to your area for a while!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you going to sign up for my meet next month? :p
If I'm still in the area, I will!

Heckler -

Thread has been submitted :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Load Warrior with Extension

I installed the extension today:

I haven't been able to take any measurements as I was in a hurry, but will be will to answer any questions that you may have.

Time to complete with one person: 1 hour 15 min.

Tools Needed: Phillips head screw driver
Box Cutter
Hex Wrench (provided)

Tips:
1. A two person team will make it go faster.

2. I would definitely install in a garage with a blanket or something soft
laid out to put the basket onto. I scratched up my own basket when I
tipped it up and down on the ground to attach the extension, and I was
by no means rough with the pieces.

3. Be prepared to get grease on your hands when you initially pull apart the
basket. Have a rag ready so you don't get it all over your patriot or the
outside of your basket.

4. Size your basket w/ extension before attaching it. Open your rear gate to it's full open position in order to get an idea of the basket's position.

5. If you have locking brackets for your basket, be sure to keep track of their position (supposed to be on opposite sides and one in the back and one in the front). One reason it took me so long is that after I was done, I found I had to re do the attachment as I put both locking brackets in the rear... :doh:
You may need a rubber mallet to take out and put back in the brackets, I know I did. You must remove the brackets as the spacing has changed with the extension. Make sure you are installing the brackets in an outside piece of the basket, and not in between where the outside piece and the extension attach.

Website Link for product & instructions:
Yakima Load Warrior Extension

First Impressions:

The Basket looks A LOT better with the extension IMO.

Patriot's with Sunroofs may not wish to use an extension as the basket will now protrude over your sunroof, but not entirely.

The only real annoyance I had was how the Wind Fairing would rattle against the metal basket. This was the case before the extension, but now the noise was directly above my head. I could only really hear it with the sunroof open. To solve this issue, I'm going to experiment with some felt circles ( the kind that you put under furniture to protect hard flooring), which I'll report back on later.

Other: I attempted to also install the spare tire carrier, but I found that I was lacking a nut and bolt that should have come with the packaging. After too many trips to Home Depot, I decided I needed to move on to other items on my day's to do list :) Just be sure you check that you have all your parts right away! ( Home Depot carried the nut and bolt, cost me $3.00)

I have more pictures of the install, but it seems that I am reaching the limit of the space that is given to up load pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
The extension looks alot better. How do you feel the overhang is, sturdy? I found round rubber washers at my local hardware store. They called them fender washers. May want to try something like that, as the chair felt may not weather well, but use what is available. Looks very good though.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The extension looks alot better. How do you feel the overhang is, sturdy? I found round rubber washers at my local hardware store. They called them fender washers. May want to try something like that, as the chair felt may not weather well, but use what is available. Looks very good though.
Thanks for the info! I figured the chair felt wouldn't weather well. Figured I'd just go through the whole pack that I bought, and hopefully find a decent replacement by then :)

Once I'm able to put stuff up there, I'll post on real world sturdiness. The front seems very sturdy as it is what is attached to my cross bars. The Extension is attached to the outside pieces. Once I tightened the brackets down, I jerked and pulled on the entire basket and it didn't budge. I even threw the spare tire up there to see how well it fit. The entire basket feels/looks solid.

Even with the extension, the weight limit is 140 lbs, according to the instructions. I think though, I will wait until I get a full size spare tire, to put the spare up there. The hole in the donut center didn't seem small enough to be secured with the hardware provided by Yakima's spare tire kit. If you look at your spare in your pat, the center piece goes through a much smaller hole in your jack, and then the size of that jack keeps the tire from moving much (along with the spare tire enclosure). I don't feel like mounting the donut with the jack in its center and then be exposed to the elements, with a cover or not. I think a jack would be something I'd want to protect by having it inside the vehicle.

I am also concerned about how difficult it will be to get a full size spare off of my roof basket by myself as I have pain/weakness in my right thumb from a hyper extension this past March. The damn thing still hurts! :-(

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Pictures on the tire carrier? :)
Haven't installed it yet.

Gonna look into the steps ;-) Thanks!

**UPDATE** Aug 5, 2009

I installed the full size spare using the Yakima Tire Carrier on the Load Warrior. I had to install the spare with rim side down as the tire carrier's center holding rod wasn't long enough. It's very solid and doesn't move.

As far as MPG loss, I've not been able to figure this out yet, but I'm sure there is a decrease. There is A LOT more wind noise with the basket extension and a tire up there. I'm currently looking for a tire cover that will fit a 215/70R-16. Once I find one I'm happy with, I'll post a link. I was told by America's Tire (West coast version of Discount Tire) that a tire cover is advisable as the Sun will destroy a tire, but it would take a few years. I want mine in tip top shape when I need it, so a tire cover is a must :)

I feared that because of the damage to my hand/thumb, that I'd have trouble lifting it up and down from the basket. I found it was easy to "throw" the tire up there. I don't know if this is bad or not, but I used my rear tire as a step to get up there (with E-Brake engaged of course).

I used an all weather lock - covered in plastic - to secure my tire to the carrier. Using such a lock can be frustrating as the plastic makes the lock thicker for the yakima tire carrier's lock holes. You gotta force it. I feared that on a hot summer day, parts would expand and keep me from unlocking the lock, but I was still able to free the tire.

Something I did notice is that I needed to transfer my locking brackets for my basket to the front, as they protruded too far up for how I wanted to mount my tire. I didn't want them rubbing against the rim. Yakima advises one locking bracket to the front and one to the back. I've not had any "issues" with putting them both to the front, other than they're a pain in the butt to take off and put back on.

To protect all the locks on my basket set up, I use Graphite dust from Home Depot. Puff a little bit on a key and insert the key into the lock. I figure this wouldn't cause any rusting or oozing from other types of lubricants. It's messy though! If you're not careful, it will get everywhere and your hands will look like you had a fight with a pencil!

So far, the felt circle pads are holding up, even after 2 car washes! I'm impressed :)

I even installed two Yakima Roof Light brackets for a future off road light project. These were simple to install.

I'll include pictures very soon, look for them in my personal album on this site :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update 1/19/2010

My MPG's are getting CRAZY low! I realize that I have had a lead foot lately, and it's winter, and I'm in Chicago City Driving Conditions, but my last fill ups have me at 10 and 9 MPG! This is horrible. My 5.9L V8 Dakota got at least 13 MPG in the city. Before, I'd been averaging anywhere from 19-23 MPG with basket, and getting down to 15 on a lead foot day (HWY).

Gonna take off the basket and full size tire for a while to see if it isn't something else. The thing is, I no longer have the factory donut. I had to leave it back in California as I had no room for it. So time to go shopping :-(

The last two fill ups were based on Highway driving from INDY to North Side of Chicago (294) I wasn't ever stopped. I also have auto start, which I imagine can snag MPG while idling to warm up. Just gotta be sure it isn't something worse.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts