Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Road Race Motorsports now has a Jeep Patriot section with a few mods that are for our vehicles. http://roadracemotorsports.com/
Check out this section for the mods applicable to our vehicles.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...&cPath=104_172

Myself & Sask_Riot will be beta testing the Pulley & Tuner. Once we receive the product we will both be testing out how well these products work.

I spoke with the owner on the phone for an hour today and he is very excited to look into our platform and get some more products for our vehicles.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Super excited about this! Ordering the pulley Friday after I confirm it fits. I'll keep the forum posted with install as things come together.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, now I know who you are on Facebook =)

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a message back from RRM already, now that is quick :pepper:

Group buys are always encouraged. To elaborate on the Spectrum Tuner, it's a signal modifier... not a reflash. This means that once removed the vehicle will return to stock and there are no traces of it ever being installed. Reflashes get recorded by the stock ecu's on their counters/logs. The dealerships are on to them and will void warranties if they see unauthorized reflashes. Our box can be removed prior to going to the dealer and reinstalled afterward with no fear of its installation being discovered.

Our unit work by intercepting the stock sensor signal and modifying it to what we want. This is done via a programmable microprocessor located inside the unit. The program is pre-installed and has been tuned on our dyno and verified by our beta testers. It maximizes both fuel and timing curves in order to unlock a lot of the hp/tq the factory left behind. At no time does it modify any stock safety systems, thus it's 100% safe. It installs in minutes. We are trying to get local beta tester back in order to make an install video. As soon as we've done this, we'll get it up on the site for all to review/see.

Regards,

Road///Race

This is promising. Yes the unit does cost a fair chunk of change, but based on their experience with lancer's i'm willing to bet their pre tuning Is worth it.

I think i'm going to order one and maybe be the guinea pig. I do have a ScanguageII so I can monitor everything in real time after the install.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I wonder why 2012+ only. Especially if they have "over a decade" of testing on the motor. Interesting but I think I'll wait until someone else trys it out... Tyler.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been in contact with them and posed a few more questions, so we should have something to go by soon. I don't think ecus changed over the years, will have to that that sorted out. Either way they seem eager to respond to out queries, which is a good sign. No other company has shown interest so far. My guess is if you have other supporting mods, their controller with make more of a difference, of course I should try it out why not sink close to a grand on something that may or may not work (remember my diff project?)

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update, RRM will be contacting me by phone to discuss more specifics of this tuner. More specifically I was wondering about how it would interact with the FDII mode, since the FDII mode basically advances the timing and does what this tuner does, I want to know if there would be any conflicts. JLutz, they have been around for a long time. I spent a few hours browsing their forums last night and this tuner on the new Dart's is the real deal, so i'm rather excited about this product.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked with Rob at RRM today, and I'm pleased to announce, that myself and Sask_Riot will be testing out RRM's product, more specifically the pulley and tuner. I can't wait to see how this works out.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally somebody came through! Hope it works out.
Well you know whats dropping another couple hundred bucks into something that may or may not work right?

Pulley is going to work regardless, tuner we shall see.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have had several Mitsubishi's over the last 10 years. Road Race Motorsports are first and foremost good people. They also happen to make and sell great products that they are willing to stand behind. Their turbo kits are top notch.

As to Jlutz question, they have over a decade with this motor becuase this motor has been in use in Mitsubishi and dodge vehicles for a long time. As to why they list it as 2012+.... that may have something to do with their beta testing. Perhaps they couldn;t find a 2007 PAtriot owner to test one out. So they are only going to list it as being compatible with what they were able to test. I don;t know for sure that this is the case, but it would make sense to me. And having dealt with RRM in the past it fits their business model. If you have a pre 2012 Patriot and are interested, call them up. Talk to them.
I doubt you will notice a large difference with just the tuner install. There simply isn't much left in the 2.4 that is being held back. The tuner in conjuction with a few other upgrades that allow the engine to breathe better would certainly be better.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awd dyno is near impossible for me to access however after configuring my scanguage properly it is reading engine horsepower generated at the crank. Which last night read a max of 139hp with an iat of 24c. For comparison my old patriot would generate 145hp with an iat of 12c. I dug up some old videos showing my scanguage in operation showing the hp. I have no doubt there will be gains due to how conservative the engine timing and a/f ratio is. Rrm is a good company that has stepped up to make something happen. Of course people will doubt and be negative, and I'm ok with that but only say that when you are prepared to dish out some money and prove it. This is why sask riot is testing at the same time, 2010 and fdi vs 2012 and fdii. I have also found someone local to rrm with a fdii patriot. Rrm wants to look at possibly making a header compatible with awd mk's.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I saw a video, mighty car mods I think, where they went to Haltec and they were testing plug in tuners. The one from China literally did nothing, but the Haltec guy said even if it did, once the engine was shut off and back on the ECU would compensate and bring it back to normal. So it'll be interesting to see if the changes stay. Kinda like when you reset the ECU and it relearns the throttle and fuel mapping.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a baseline via my scanguage, not going to dyno it lol more money I would have to soak in. Pull the fuse probably pulls timing as it lights everything up and a new discovery disables the back up lights.

·
Registered
726 Posts
As someone who has been actively involved in power upgrades on German engine platforms for the last 20 years, forum members should know that there are major disadvantages of putting an undamped crank pulley on a street vehicle.

The fact that these are being sold as such and stickied on this forum concerns me. Do your research, there is more than enough info out there and then decide if this is for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts