Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a video at the moment but seem to be having really bad road noise, wondering what else it could be though. It starts out as a shzuh, shzuh, type sound at low speeds 15-20 or so, and at high speeds sounds like a helicopter is following you. Its not wind buffeting, windows are up, and it doesn't change when you turn the steering wheel. The sound seems like its coming from the middle of the floor board and it's not louder when I roll the window down to listen outside. Seems like a wheel bearing would be able to be heard louder with windows down. I changed worn front tires for the better back tires and it made no difference. If its a wheel bearing can I jack it up and spin the tire to determine that? Don't want to replace for no reason.
Or any other ideas?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,513 Posts
I don't have a video at the moment but seem to be having really bad road noise, wondering what else it could be though. It starts out as a shzuh, shzuh, type sound at low speeds 15-20 or so, and at high speeds sounds like a helicopter is following you. Its not wind buffeting, windows are up, and it doesn't change when you turn the steering wheel. The sound seems like its coming from the middle of the floor board and it's not louder when I roll the window down to listen outside. Seems like a wheel bearing would be able to be heard louder with windows down. I changed worn front tires for the better back tires and it made no difference. If its a wheel bearing can I jack it up and spin the tire to determine that? Don't want to replace for no reason.
Or any other ideas?
Thanks
Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us. :) Without actually hearing your noise a guess will only be a lucky shot. How old is your Patriot? If you're past 100,000 it could be a universal joint. They tend to make a whipping noise and being underneath you, winding down the windows might not help you hear it -- the wind noise might even compete with the sound. Please keep us posted.

PS, I like your avatar!

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
156 Posts
Middle of the car.
Could be the driveshaft bearing (driveshaft from front to back Diff)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to wait so long to check back on this, I have a front wheel drive sport so I assume I don't have a back differential. Tire pressure is OK, tires are about half worn, 25,000 miles or so. I asked a mechanic about this road noise I have, he drove it and said it sounded like a bearing to him but he didn't have time at the moment to change it then. I bought both front bearing hubs, (the noise is loud in front but in back seat if you duck down in floor board it's quieter so i figured it must be one or both of those. Changed the left one and haven't heard much difference. Plan to change the right one next. Could it be CV axle maybe? I heard they usually click when turning instead of a constant growl but just wondering what y'all think. Easy to change while the hubs off if I need too. 200,000 miles and don't think I ever had them changed but the boot looked good on the left one.

·
Super Moderator
8,513 Posts
How old are your tires? I'm running Dunlop Grandtreks which are great in the snow but they are now on their third winter. Snow tires are always noisy, but as the rubber ages it gets harder, then add in winter temperatures and they can be even louder. I don't think I could hear a bad wheel bearing howling over the tires right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts