Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2017 Patriot Latitude 2.4. I've got codes P0221 and P2135. ETC and CEL are on. I've replaced throttle body once already with a non-mopar part. I'm replacing throttle body (w/ a geniune part this time) and wiring connector hoping a genuine part will solve it, or the new wiring will. I'm using current mopar replacement part (# 68420395AB).

My main question is this- The new connector is a different shape than the old one in the car. The wiring colors on the instruction sheet for the new throttle body don't quite match the colors of that are on the car.. Can I assume that the 6 wires will go into the same 6 spots on the new connector? AKA does the wire in slot 1 of the old connector go in slot 1 of the new connector?

I tried looking for the original part's schematic to cross reference the wires but I couldn't find it.

Second question- I'm not sold this is just a throttle body issue but also maybe faulty wiring or PCM. Here's why-

My original throttle body issue popped up last year. It went into limp mode and my Jeep dealership diagnosed a bad throttle body and a $1500 replacement cost. At the time I thought they were screwing me so I did it myself with a non-mopar replacement (maybe a bad move by me but seriously, Chrysler sucks). It only lasted a year before trouble codes came back last week. Live and learn I guess.

During that year though, it never went into limp mode like it did when throttle body issue originally came up. It did however, coast hard. Like the e-brake was on 25% when coasting to a stoplight. Also kind of like downshifting to get engine brake.. without the upfront jolt of gear engagement. No codes came up during this time. I thought the TB might need recalibration.. tried it myself. Had a guy reprogram it too. Neither worked permanently and it continued to coast hard.

Now that codes popped up again, its still coasting hard but doesn't go into limp mode.

I'm rewiring connect because I have to due to new connectors shape, but I'm also hoping it will fix wiring issue. I'm worried though, given all this info, that this wont solve my problem and its elsewhere... like a PCM issue.

What do y'all think? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Apparently there are now 2 (maybe 3) different throttle bodies listed for our Pats. The old one is still available that has the same wiring pin connector. The newest one has a generic pin connector and wiring kit that must be fitted to our Patriots. Here is one recent thread with links to rewiring the new throttle body:NEW (factory) Throttle body installed & red...

Also, see my post #15 in this thread about the new throttle body offerings: Jeep Patriot making weird clicking noise need help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently there are now 2 (maybe 3) different throttle bodies listed for our Pats. The old one is still available that has the same wiring pin connector. The newest one has a generic pin connector and wiring kit that must be fitted to our Patriots. Here is one recent thread with links to rewiring the new throttle body:NEW (factory) Throttle body installed & red...

Also, see my post #15 in this thread about the new throttle body offerings: Jeep Patriot making weird clicking noise need help!
I noticed that. I've got the newest one. I'm sitting here about to solder the new wires to the new connector wondering if I'm going to solve anything.

Also, can anyone PLEASE confirm that the wire positions are the same between old and new connectors? Aka does wire in slot 1 of old connector go in wire of slot 1 of new?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Here's a Youtube video showing the wire colors and pin designation (minute 2:00) for the new #68420395AB throttle body. Pins 1 and 5 remain the same (vs. old TB 4891735AD), while the other four do not.

New #68420395AB throttle body wire color - pin designation according to the video instruction sheet : (beware his follow up verbal description contains confusing errors).
Pin # Wire Color
1 DBGY Dark Blue - Gray (same new vs. old)
2 DBGN Dark Blue - Green
3 BNDG Brown - Dark Green (his verbal follow up errors)
4 PKOG Pink - Yellow
5 BNOG Brown - Orange (same new vs. old)
6 BNDB Brown - Dark Blue (seems to be solid brown)

See also Sandstone's wiring diagrams here: Throttle body wiring

Note some discrepancies between video, 2007,2014 Sandstone diagrams: I.E., BR, BN, BRN = brown, OR, OG, ORG = orange, and/or color codes reversed i.e., number 5 described as BNOG (video) BROR (2007) ORG/BRN (2014), all being some brown/orange type wire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a Youtube video showing the wire colors and pin designation (minute 2:00) for the new #68420395AB throttle body. Pins 1 and 5 remain the same (vs. old TB 4891735AD), while the other four do not.

New #68420395AB throttle body wire color - pin designation according to the video instruction sheet : (beware his follow up verbal description contains confusing errors).
Pin # Wire Color
1 DBGY Dark Blue - Gray (same new vs. old)
2 DBGN Dark Blue - Green
3 BNDG Brown - Dark Green (his verbal follow up errors)
4 PKOG Pink - Yellow
5 BNOG Brown - Orange (same new vs. old)
6 BNDB Brown - Dark Blue (seems to be solid brown)

See also Sandstone's wiring diagrams here: Throttle body wiring

Note some discrepancies between video, 2007,2014 Sandstone diagrams: I.E., BR, BN, BRN = brown, OR, OG, ORG = orange, and/or color codes reversed i.e., number 5 described as BNOG (video) BROR (2007) ORG/BRN (2014), all being some brown/orange type wire.
Thank you for verifying. The other post you linked had the old plug schematic that was helpful too. Was able to cross reference successfully. Thankfully I didn't rewire under my previous assumption or I woulda been SOL haha.

New development- I took the old TB out a month ago- cleaned and put it back in hoping that would solve the problem (obviously it didn't). I noticed oil coating the back (back being the side that sits flush to the manifold) and also a bit pooled inside the TB where the butterfly valve is. At the time, I wrote this off as normal after a year of driving.

When I took the TB out last week I noticed some more oil in the same locations that developed in the month since I cleaned it. That's a pretty short timeframe. (I also wiped a small amount out of the mainfold opening where the TB connects to it.

I read someone's post on here who noticed the same thing and thought that the oil might be causing the small electric parts within the TB to malfunction.

Any thoughts on this? If the oil is the problem, it seems my problem might be bigger. Obviously not putting the new TB in at this point.

·
Registered
2016 Patriot Latitude 4x4
16 Posts
Thank you for verifying. The other post you linked had the old plug schematic that was helpful too. Was able to cross reference successfully. Thankfully I didn't rewire under my previous assumption or I woulda been SOL haha.

New development- I took the old TB out a month ago- cleaned and put it back in hoping that would solve the problem (obviously it didn't). I noticed oil coating the back (back being the side that sits flush to the manifold) and also a bit pooled inside the TB where the butterfly valve is. At the time, I wrote this off as normal after a year of driving.

When I took the TB out last week I noticed some more oil in the same locations that developed in the month since I cleaned it. That's a pretty short timeframe. (I also wiped a small amount out of the mainfold opening where the TB connects to it.

I read someone's post on here who noticed the same thing and thought that the oil might be causing the small electric parts within the TB to malfunction.

Any thoughts on this? If the oil is the problem, it seems my problem might be bigger. Obviously not putting the new TB in at this point.
PCV Valve? Replaced mine when I did second TB, hasn't gone limp mode since, over a year ago...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, I should check it.

Also, FYI for everyone out there- I was told the oil in and on my TB was normal. As the engine cools down from being hot, steam carrying oil dissipates causing the residue I was seeing.

·
Registered
2014 Patriot Latitude 2.4L
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Latitude 2.4L. I have this same issue. The replacement throttle bodies have the dual row connector - yet my harness is the single row. Is the single row connector version of the TB still available? If so, who can direct me where to find it?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I just did an internet search for both old (4891735AD) and new (68420395AB ) throttle bodies and it seems that the parts supplier computer systems are catching up with the change. Rock Auto listed both OEM ones just a month ago, but now only lists the new one. A search of the old number still gets hits like this: 2007-2018 Mopar Throttle Body 4891735AD | TascaParts.com .......I have no idea about all the aftermarket choices like Dorman and dozens of others.

Unless someone here has recent experience, I think you will have to somehow verify with the supplier which plug each unit has. Even the internet pictures might be wrong. Sorry I cannot provide real help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Part 4891735AD is the old connector pattern that you're looking for. I've bought both the old part and the new one (68420395AB). As treegrower said, you may have an increasingly hard time to find the older part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts