Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went all winter without it coming on and once the outside temperature hits 60 degrees....it comes on every few days. Did this last year also.

So let's recap...
1. New factory throttle body (Nov 2020).
2. New factory accelerator pedal (around same time).
3. Never comes on once outside temps are below 60 degrees.
4. Did ONE time in the last year and a half when it was below 60 degrees because my front passenger side tire went through a large puddle.
5. Light will go off after restarting the car.

I cannot state this enough...ZERO performance issues. None.

Coffee and then I am going to see what codes I can pull. I will post them here.

My original thread...

·
Administrator
7,885 Posts
When mine started doing that, it gave a code p2072 for ice blockage in the throttle body. I had to upgrade my scanner to see it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When mine started doing that, it gave a code p2072 for ice blockage in the throttle body. I had to upgrade my scanner to see it.

So yours was the opposite. Mine runs fine (no lightning bolt) when it's cold/freezing outside and comes on during warmer weather.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I had a brand new crank position sensor laying around that I picked up from the Jeep dealer last fall and decided to change that this morning. Upon removing the air box I noticed the large hose that runs to the throttle body wasn't wrapped around the fitting on the air box. The under side of the hose was tucked into the hose itself and not wrapped around the fitting on the air box. After I installed the crank position sensor I put the hose on the correct way and cleared the codes.

Related? Time will tell...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Annnd...it came on again this weekend.

(still zero performance issues)

Only thing I did different was I got gas somewhere that I haven't gone in a few months. I think that's probably just a coincidence.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update...

I did a little test over the last few weeks and ran without my air conditioning on. Light never came on. 🤔

Light only comes on when it's over 70° outside and I run the AC when it's over 70° outside. 🤔🤔

Found this thread and did this exact fix.

My thinking is... In that post there is a wire harness right next to the drain tube and maybe it's possible water from the drain tube was splashing on the harness. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm just going to keep posting updates on this thread in hopes it helps someone else down the road.

I will say...if I have spent over $1000 trying to fix this issue and it ends up it was an $8 fix the whole time... Smh...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's officially going to the shop this week. Any and all fixes that I have done only last a week or two (tops).

I'm dropping it off with a ton of notes. Hopefully they can figure out the cause and not just fix the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope they figure
Your issue out, I have had the same codes as you all six times with my 2017 Jeep Patriot I bought brand new. Called Chrysler a bunch of times no assist now the dealer is upset because it's the 6th time they will be replacing my full throttle body. They told me due to the design of the throttle body I may be without a car for 2
Months because they are on back order and to be redesigned

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope they figure
Your issue out, I have had the same codes as you all six times with my 2017 Jeep Patriot I bought brand new. Called Chrysler a bunch of times no assist now the dealer is upset because it's the 6th time they will be replacing my full throttle body. They told me due to the design of the throttle body I may be without a car for 2
Months because they are on back order and to be redesigned
I'll keep posting on this thread with updates.

If it IS the actual throttle body and they are redesigning it...I wonder if a non OEM one would work better for the time being.

Also, thanks for that new information.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that I think about it...I actually don't think I can use a non-OEM one now. The last throttle body I bought from the dealer required me to change/rewire the harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
when I contacted Chrysler and asked what other solutions could I do when I was on my 4th replacement they said get a second opinion from authorized dealer, I asked about after market and was told it would void my power train warranty, since the throttle is covered under that I just have been keeping it with my dealer because they honestly have just been ordering for the full replacement.
My dealer said Monday they will be asking Chrysler can they install non OEM in my vehicle considering this is the 6 replacement all under warranty

I will update my post on my dealer asking can I have non OEM installed after Monday PM.
Lol I dropped the vehicle off on Friday 6/17 after it was serviced 6/10 for the same thing LOL literally the write up work stages the same codes as before and as you posted and they say we acknowledge this has been replaced 5 times already our tech testing drove 3 times extensively lights went off and car performed to standards lol.
So crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
when I contacted Chrysler and asked what other solutions could I do when I was on my 4th replacement they said get a second opinion from authorized dealer, I asked about after market and was told it would void my power train warranty, since the throttle is covered under that I just have been keeping it with my dealer because they honestly have just been ordering for the full replacement.
My dealer said Monday they will be asking Chrysler can they install non OEM in my vehicle considering this is the 6 replacement all under warranty

I will update my post on my dealer asking can I have non OEM installed after Monday PM.
Lol I dropped the vehicle off on Friday 6/17 after it was serviced 6/10 for the same thing LOL literally the write up work stages the same codes as before and as you posted and they say we acknowledge this has been replaced 5 times already our tech testing drove 3 times extensively lights went off and car performed to standards lol.
So crossing my fingers.
Interesting. I'm not sure about the powertrain warranty since I bought my Patriot used a couple of years ago with 23,000 miles on it. It now has over 75,000. I put the last throttle body in myself so I probably voided the warranty if I even have one as the second owner.

Going to call my local Jeep dealer in the morning that I bought the throttle body from and see if they have any information about this redesign and back order.

Like I said, I'm kind of screwed as far as putting on a non OEM throttle body on because I had to swap that harness out for the new updated harness and I don't know if any aftermarket throttle bodies use that same harness. I guess I could try the original harness (if I can find it) rewire it again rewire it once the new updated throttle body is.

Thanks for the thorough update.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just hung up with my local Jeep dealer about exchanging my throttle body since it's still under warranty and they told me they are definitely on backorder. He said there's 5800 of them on order so they obviously know there's a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay I'll still update you with non OEM but I found a forum where a user did a non OEM throttle and it seemed to make it worse but unsure due to if he installed it correctly including the wiring.
Still will give an update on if they will let me place after market since my 6 replacement

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay I'll still update you with non OEM but I found a forum where a user did a non OEM throttle and it seemed to make it worse but unsure due to if he installed it correctly including the wiring.
Still will give an update on if they will let me place after market since my 6 replacement
Sounds good.

I should also point out for anyone following the drama...

I have 5 months left on my 2 year warranty for my throttle body (purchased from the dealer).

Once the parts guy told me "there are 5800 on order so they obviously know there is a problem"...I said, "ok, then do I really need to worry about a warranty?". His response..."a 2 year warranty is a 2 year warranty, nothing extends it.". He was cool about the whole thing and I get it but, in my head... You basically sold me a part that is flawed and now I have to hope the new version is done and in my hands by 11/20/22 or I have to dole out another $412 for the updated version.

Soooo... He is trying to find me the exact one I have. I guess I install that to get a second 2 year warranty and wait for this new version.

I guess I also hope my Jeep holds up through all of this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
try contacting Chrysler since now they know there is an issue, the car comes with a defective part so either warranty or not recall or extend your warranty as this is a safety issue when I contacted Chrysler to ask them to extend the warranty (the truck was involved in a MVA someone hit me from behind, I already had 50k miles on the truck and needed the MVA damages fixed before my dealer would even look at my throttle. Contacted Chrysler and asked them to extend it due to my circumstances young lady said it's not uncommon but I didn't need to worry because it's under my power train) it won't hurt to contact them and the more we put pressure on them they'll have to do something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
try contacting Chrysler since now they know there is an issue, the car comes with a defective part so either warranty or not recall or extend your warranty as this is a safety issue when I contacted Chrysler to ask them to extend the warranty (the truck was involved in a MVA someone hit me from behind, I already had 50k miles on the truck and needed the MVA damages fixed before my dealer would even look at my throttle. Contacted Chrysler and asked them to extend it due to my circumstances young lady said it's not uncommon but I didn't need to worry because it's under my power train) it won't hurt to contact them and the more we put pressure on them they'll have to do something.
Will do. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeep has officially started "jumping".

Contacted jeepcares to see if they can advise on what to do about getting a part that is under warranty but backordered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts