Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, bassically you will need a mygigoff ebay) must be a "LOWSPEED" version can be nav or not there is a knowledge base here
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav_2.htm
and here is a good mygig software and knowledge base
http://www.mofv.com/MyGIG/
and most importantly you will need one of these(note i had to get wwwade to get one for me as they dont ship outside the USA at the moment)
http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG_ADAPTER.htm
i suggest you also get the microphone kit and multimedia cable from them aswell
i used after market cameras for both front and rear.
the mygigs dimensions are half way between the standard and the RECtype bezels so i used a dremel and sandpaper etc to mod the standard one, the hardware instalation is very simple and straight forward, the instruction sheets are very simple and clear so i wont bother writng about that side of things. it is strongly advisable to discontct the battery initially so when you power up all goes well, when first powered up the mygig defaults to a chrysler screen but then changes to jeep.

comapring the standard radio and mygig

rec bezel andmodded standard bezel

mygig in patriot

front camera stuck on with velcro hehehehe
i masked off the standard bezel and carefully used a dremel to cut out, the template that come with the instructions will help with the height the width is bassically along the edge of the curved cutouts, measure twice cut once is very much needed here, i sugeest you remove the metal clips so alignment can be done with the mygig and the bezel to check the cutting out procedure, all functions work fully;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
this is something i've been wanting to do. would doing this myself void any part of my warranty were something to go wrong in my pat? thats always been my biggest worry, but i've been dying to try this out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
just looked in my warranty manual and it appears it wouldn't void my warranty, but if a repair were to be needed BECAUSE I installed this, that repair wouldnt be covered. however my warranty would still be valid.

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if repeairs are needed just do what i did and got A second bezel so i can just put the standard radio back in etc, overall it takes me about 15 minutes to do the swappout

·
Registered
31 Posts
how much am I looking at?? ballpark?? because the way I see it will cost me around $1000

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the biggest cost factor is how much you end up paying for the mygig itself

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the game here but I just bought a 2007 Jeep Compass with a factory installed REC unit. I was hoping to upgrade the unit to a RER like you did but was hesitant as I was reading that after installing the stereo the clock would not work. In the picture it looks like your clock is working fine. Did you have to do anything special to get this working or is this a non-issue for the Patriot? If it's a non-issue for the Patriot then will it also be a non-issue for the Compass?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as far as i can establish the clock issue is not a problem for the MK platform, i suspect it is for older vehicles, also i can set mine with either GPS or Internal setting in the clock menu on the mygig

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2007 but aothers have done 2008 as they still the same underthe skirts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, this is excellent news for me then! I have a 2007 as well and was reading on a Dodge Charger forum (that's what Google brought up first) and every experience there shows that the clock will not work in a 2007 but will in a 2008 or newer.

I guess Jeep's are just better ;-)

Thanks for the great news!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
as far as i can establish the clock issue is not a problem for the MK platform, i suspect it is for older vehicles, also i can set mine with either GPS or Internal setting in the clock menu on the mygig
hey zbee, where did you mount your GPS antenna? i only get 3-4 satellites directly on top of the MyGIG unit...

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
under the central cover on the top of the dash away from the compass module...remeber in australia we see alot more sattelites because our steering wheel is on the correct side of the car(right hand side) ;)

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
any camera will work with the lockpick adaptor, most electronic stores carry them(reversing cameras), make sure that its a reversable image one, as for the front you can use a flir if you want really cool at night drivng with no lights:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
zbee,

i am about to dremel my factory bezel to complete retrofitting the MyGIG into my truck. is it just the sides that need to be extended, or top or bottom, or both? i took it to a scustom stereo shop and they wanted like $350 to do it... im very hesitant, but i do want clean lines.

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do the sides first, you will need to also take a little off the top and bottom, use the dremel at a lower speed otherwise the plastic starts melting, just use lots of patients etc, the resulst will be worth it, keep trying it on the mygig mounted in the car

·
2009 Panama Patriot
44 Posts
Well what is the difference between 2008 and 2009 bezels?

I have been looking and it seem that size top to bottom is good but you would have to fill in the side to side.

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well what is the difference between 2008 and 2009 bezels?

I have been looking and it seem that size top to bottom is good but you would have to fill in the side to side.
i think you will find the 2009 interior is diffrent and from what i understand mygig is an option for the model, so a bezel would be available already

1 - 20 of 52 Posts