Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When travelling up North for the holidays, our Pat intercepted a nice sized chunk of ice, and it took out the Left Front turn signal housing. I did some searching and got one from Morris 4x4 Center, www.jeep4x4center.com, and it arrived in a few days for 19.99 shipped. Great folks there by the way. Now this weekend I will be swapping it out.

I found a diagram on here on how to remove the wheel well liner to access the back of the unit and replace bulbs in it, and I assume I will have to access the unit this way to replace. Has anyone had to replace one yet? If so I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outstanding, thanks! I will report back when complete!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, job is complete, the diagrams from the repair manual were accurate. The job took about an hour, using an SUV floor jack and a pair of jackstands made it an easier and more stable working environment.

You definitely need to remove the wheel to get maximum access in the front wheel well to complete the job. The screws on the turn signal housing were Torx 20, and let me tell you, you need some dexterity to get up in there to break them free and reinstall. The tough part is the turn signal is quite far up in the front fascia from the wheel well and well forward too, and it is not that easy of reach with a small screwdriver. Once you locate the screws the operation shifts to feel vs visual approach...if you ever get there you will see what I mean. I used a small wratchet with a magnetic extension to the Torx 20 bit to make it easier to remove and reinstall. The aftermarket unit I bought seems indistinguishable from the OEM unit I pulled out, at about half the cost. Easiest part was twising out the socket and putting it back in the new unit before reinstalling it, the lead is pretty long.

The thing that really sucks about this design, is that your average owner is going to find it complete PITA that you have to go into the wheel well the change a burnt out turn signal bulb...not such a well thought out design for a vehicle that may well get some body damage off the roads...

I took a few pics if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
please post pics

OK, job is complete, the diagrams from the repair manual were accurate. The job took about an hour, using an SUV floor jack and a pair of jackstands made it an easier and more stable working environment.

You definitely need to remove the wheel to get maximum access in the front wheel well to complete the job. The screws on the turn signal housing were Torx 20, and let me tell you, you need some dexterity to get up in there to break them free and reinstall. The tough part is the turn signal is quite far up in the front fascia from the wheel well and well forward too, and it is not that easy of reach with a small screwdriver. Once you locate the screws the operation shifts to feel vs visual approach...if you ever get there you will see what I mean. I used a small wratchet with a magnetic extension to the Torx 20 bit to make it easier to remove and reinstall. The aftermarket unit I bought seems indistinguishable from the OEM unit I pulled out, at about half the cost. Easiest part was twising out the socket and putting it back in the new unit before reinstalling it, the lead is pretty long.

The thing that really sucks about this design, is that your average owner is going to find it complete PITA that you have to go into the wheel well the change a burnt out turn signal bulb...not such a well thought out design for a vehicle that may well get some body damage off the roads...

please post pics....this really sucks to just to chage a turn signal....:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just like Chrysler Corp to have a moron come up with design. Makes the average owner incur an approxomate cost of $150.00 to replace an effin bulb.....this is unacceptable.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Whatever it takes to get their hands in your wallet. Sometimes I think THAT is the purpose of design...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turn Signal housing filled with water

I have a 2008 Patriot and I have to get this turn signal housing out of there to drain some standing water in it before it gets too high and rots out the socket. Not sure how it got there, probably because I live in an area where it snows half the year. Took off the spash shield then got inside the wheel well. Inside there I then took out these two push pins that were going upward thinking that they were holding the housing in (like with the tail lights), but the turn signal housing didn't budge. Still not sure what those push pins hold together. I just read your post and found out those three tork screws are holding the housing in. Those things wont budge no matter what. If I can somehow get those to loosen and come out, does the housing just come out after that? Any suggestions on how to get those things loose. I am almost thinking it would be easier to just drill a tiny hole in the housing and drain the water, then silicon seal it and in the future poke the hole out and reseal if it fills with water again. Anyone have any good avice?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
no issues with my turn signals on the pat.
but,as a parallel,my other vehicle is a vw new beetle convertible.
1.6 gasoline engine.
it takes 3 hours to change the spark plugs on that engine,just because the manifold is on the front,covering the spark plugs,and not on the rear,as with almost all other engines.
that's why the vw dealer said they didn't replace the spark plugs at 40000miles (although the book said they should),saying that they work perfectly so no need to.
B**L**IT,they just idn't want to waste their time.
i finally changed them at a friend's garage.you know what the guy said?
he said those who designed such things should be punished by having to do the job themselves,to see what crap they designed.
i totally agree.

Reactions: Mayakovski

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do have quick question as I have a 2011 model and online it looks like many listing show 2007-2010 but the signal looks the exact same for the 11' and 12'?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I went LED and hopefully won't be doing it again for a long time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had to do this myself, thanks for the information.
What horrible design and engineering, I hope the rest of my Patriot is better than this.
Maya

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok, I replaced the lens assembly and the bulb plug as it was corroded through but now I need to replace the wiring harness plug end that goes into the bulb plug as its corroded too!

I believe its #3 in the second picture above. I'll have to splice the wires but thats easy.

Anyone have a part number or description for that plug???

Thank you in advance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts