Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Patriot 4WD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Pat 4WD

Just replaced the bearing using the exact method and tools as on the South Main Auto video on YouTube. Spinning the hub, it has something grinding against something.

it’s possible that it’s rubbing against the snap ring I guess. It’s also possible the bearing wasn’t good, but not likely. I didn’t think you could press them in too far? Guess that’s not true.

The most irritating part is I can’t even take it back apart without trashing the new bearing. There’s a other $40 down the drain that I don’t have right now.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,567 Posts
I replaced my front wheel bearings the other week using South Main's video as a guide. I made 2 mistakes on the first one (left). First mistake was forgetting to remove the wheel speed sensor before pressing the bearing out. That cost me $54 extra. Second mistake was using the wrong backing plate when pressing the spindle in. The plate I used was a little too big, so it didn't rest on the bearing, but instead rested on the knuckle. So I got the spindle pressed half way in, heard a loud POP, and the press got really loose. Blew the back of the bearing apart. Another $58. So I wasted about $120 on my mistakes. But considering that I did it for less than $300 means that I saved about $1000. Two different shops quoted me $1300 to replace both.

·
Registered
2016 Patriot 4WD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
holy smokes! When you look at it that way, you could do it three times and still save money!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts