Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Sport FDI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering trading in my pat for a reneagde at 250k or 10 years, whatever comes first, but the engines for those are apparently standard now at a 1.3 liter turbo. That being said, i don’t think I’ll be getting a renegade… Just a thought.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
I'm definitely not a fan of tiny little turbo engines. At least not as an owner. I will say though, that last summer I rented a Kia K5 to drive from Buffalo to Danville, VA and back. That's got a 1.6L turbo and that car had WAYYYYYY more power that I would have ever imagined.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Sport FDI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even smaller = Even bigger disappointment. Maybe they should cut a deal with Briggs & Stratton.
Yeahhh. I was disappointed to see it. Maybe a different model Jeep I guess? On a side note, I traded in my wifes 2012 Ford Focus and got her a 2022 Subaru Outback. The dam thing has an iMax theater for the center console lol. The total cost for it was actually reasonable at 31k with agreat warranty. I drove the thing to Pennsylvania and it practically drove itself.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
The new Cherokee's look pretty nice, as do the Compass'. I've been eyeballing the Mazda CX5 for over a year now though... I REALLY like not having a car payment though.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well, poo on that! I was just starting to get interested in the Renegade and it seems that they worked most of the bugs out of them. The 2.4 was available in the 2021 model. Now, only the 1.3 turbo.

Have they worked the bugs out of these tiny turbo'd engines? Are my thoughts just "old man unable to accept change" stuff going on? Seems like the tiny MPG improvement of the 1.3 will be erased by the requirement to use premium fuel.

Wonder if I will be around long enough to be grumpy about the electric vehicle movement coming very soon?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
If you want a Renegade, get a CJ-7. Those rebadged Fiat 500x models aren't Jeeps. Just my 2c worth. And if you want an actual Jeep and not one of these wannabe Bentleys rolling around, you'll want pre-2018 anyway with the backup camera law and everything being a rolling computer with no simplicity anymore. Whoever's behind the wheel is responsible for what goes on, and should pay attention accordingly. These new rigs are just encouraging more accidents by doing half the work for you, so you pay less attention.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,293 Posts
Have they worked the bugs out of these tiny turbo'd engines?
The short answer is probably not. The longer answer is that may not be the biggest problem with the new vehicles.

I don't know about the turbo or the Cherokee, but I'm on the Compass site and the leading complaints (now that the oil consumption problem was fixed) are the electronics and the stop/start system. If you go for any new vehicle, regardless of brand or model, test drive that same vehicle several times and if any of the electronic gizmos act up at all, run from it -- no dealer, however well-intentioned, can solve those problems. "Just sign here and bring it in next week and service will take care of that" might work with a scratch in the paint, but electronic problems seem to haunt forever.

Jeep is not alone in vehicles with electronic problems. See this article: Infotainment Systems Survey - Consumer Reports News. I found this quote especially disconcerting: "Owners with HondaLink were the most likely to be highly satisfied with their car’s infotainment system, at 61 percent, among the surveyed group" (emphasis added). Not even two thirds for cryin' out loud! And that was the TOP of the list!! The numbers decline from there for other brands. Those numbers should horrify every manufacturer. For Honda to be first on such a dismal list is no honor! Remember, many other vehicle controls go through that silly little screen, not just the back-up camera and the radio.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It seems as we get closer to the demise of ICE, most manufacturers are going the route of tiny, turbo-charged engines. Like with Ford putting a relatively tiny 2.7L V6 turbo even in their F150s and Exploders. I have seen even Mercedes fooling around with crazy HP numbers from a small turbo 4 cyl. Can you build one with a gazillion HP? Yeah. Will it last for 100K miles of being romped on, towing, off roading, etc.? Maybe??? Just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Would I buy one? Doubtful. Not a fan of the added cost and maintenance usually associated with them. Oil choice and change frequency is very critical, as is making sure never to overheat, even more so than with a NA engine. Plus, at some point 100K+ miles, you often run into very high costs for turbo repair or replacements in certain models. Remember talking to a tow truck driver who had to tow my son's Mitsubishi non-turbo for a trans issue. He said by far the most frequent cars he sees are Audis with turbos. Like $3K+ cost to replace them. Plus, the extra packaging and heat under the hood makes for other regular maintenance nightmares on most models.

If I had to replace the Pat tomorrow, I would consider a slightly larger Cherokee with the small 3.2 V6. In fact, a buddy of mine did just that. He traded in his older 2010 Pat for one and is very happy.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
The new Cherokee's look pretty nice, as do the Compass'. I've been eyeballing the Mazda CX5 for over a year now though... I REALLY like not having a car payment though.
you said it! No car payment is great. I was at a dealer getting my work vehicle serviced today and the temptation was high especially with the recent annoyances of my patriot. It's still cheaper to maintain it than have another car note.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
Indeed, I'm pretty satisfied with the 2003 Impala I paid $1400 for in 2018. Very little rust especially for a Michigan car, good second vehicle when I want something a little sportier and a little fancier than a Jeep to buzz around in for a bit(or when the Jeep is getting de-rusted at the body shop, haha) and while I've put a few grand into repairs since then, it's still been alot less than a monthly car payment in the long term. Considering a '94 Suburban now for a third vehicle with a little more towing ability so I don't wear out the Patriot hauling the snowmobiles around come winter, plus extra interior space for range days.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 75th Anniversary Edition
88 Posts
Drove a CX5 a few weeks ago out in Seattle. Fun ride. Got too used to not having to use the fob to lock/unlock the car.

As for a 1.3L engine I used to drive a Geo Metro with a 3 banger. With the 5spd it was pretty quick until you hit 65mph...then you just didn't go any faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts