Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the only part of the fender that was making a little contact with my tires. (see yellow oval)

Here is the only tool I used...

Here is what I sprayed on bare steel...
Except I used the Black Truck Bed Liner Spray that comes in a 16.5 can.

After material removal

Where is the nub?

I used the grinder to take off 1/2" inch of steel. Sprayed on 4 coats of bed liner, let dry, and bingo!

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich!
:pepper:
Brandon

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice...that's the only place that's rubbing on mine too...I just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it...I never thought about cutting it...I figured I take a hammer to it...thanks for the posting

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice...that's the only place that's rubbing on mine too...I just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it...I never thought about cutting it...I figured I take a hammer to it...thanks for the posting
Thanks everybody, I only went 6 months with that annoying "curgshirk curgshirk" noise at full lock. Fortunately there was no tire damage and that was the only place that had clearance issues. Silence is golden! :D

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
isn't that piece of metal a weld point that holds two pieces of the body together? I haven't looked at it under the plastic, but it's called a pinch weld for a reason...

Thanks for the close up pictures though! I'm going with a 235/70 tire.

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes and no.

isn't that piece of metal a weld point that holds two pieces of the body together? I haven't looked at it under the plastic, but it's called a pinch weld for a reason...

Thanks for the close up pictures though! I'm going with a 235/70 tire.
Three sheets in some sections, two sheets toward the top. I have done mig and arc welding and I see no valid reason for that much material to stick out a good inch more than it needed to be. I only removed a small .5" sliver from the "nub". I could have notched and hammered down the pinch welds in opposing directions, but this was quicker. If need be, I just might do that! Thanks for the kind comments!

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
probably for the automated welding process in the factory.
Soon those machines will take over Skynet, they don't care about humans. j/k.
Whoever set the parameters for the robot welder did not foresee awesome patriot mods such as ours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts