Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Removing Rear Tow Hook

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  breadtruck 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Jeep Patriot FDII trail rated version that came with tow hooks standard. I am trying to install a curt hitch and for the life of me cannot find a way to remove the rear tow hook to accomplish that. I know they are pressed bolts and I read about using a piece of wood a bench vice to push them out but I guess I am not understanding how to make the work for a bench vice and the wood can't fit under there. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thank you

#2 ·
Removing the pressed in bolts with the vice and a piece of wood comes after you take the tow hook off the vehicle. Is this what you mean, or are you talking about having trouble getting the tow hook off the vehicle?

You can probably use a socket instead of wood if you want.

#3 ·
Oooooo ok, I misunderstand that. Yes that was what I was looking at.

What I am having trouble is removing the tow hook off the vehicle itself so I can use those holes in the frame to put the trailer rig on.

I even talked to a couple dealerships and even the jeep dealership said they never actually done it so they had no idea.

#4 ·
Ok, how about this: Loosen the nuts on each bolt and back them down the bolt to where the end of the bolt is just below the top of the nut to protect the threads, then tap on the end of each nut to drive the bolt out of the chasis. Sound like a plan?

Disclaimer: I've never removed it either, but without going out and looking at it that's what I'd think about trying.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Hrm. Odd. I thought FD2 was also available with a hitch, but maybe that's just a different hitch. A class 3 should be a sufficient recovery point anyway, and is more centrally located in the rear than the factory hook, so whatever works.

#9 ·
There is one hitch - Class 2, if I recall - for all Patriots and if you read the installation instructions for the Mopar hitch, it explains that you can re-install the hook, but it has to be bored out and refitted with the supplied 5/8 bolt and that takes some work that dealership mechanics likely won't do or even know to do.

#10 ·
When I installed my Curt hitch I wanted to reinstall the hook because the cut-out for it would look really odd being empty. I took the hook off the day before, took it in to work, and attempted to drill the holes out in the machine shop. Three drill bits later I gave up. I don't know what kind of metal that damn hook is made of, but it was tougher than the drill press and bits at my old job. I ended up putting a 4" LED light pod in its place.

IIRC, there were 2 bolts going thru the side of the hook and thru the frame, and one smaller bolt going up from the bottom, and it took me like 5 minutes to get it off.

Reactions: RossoRacer
#11 ·
...Three drill bits later I gave up. I don't know what kind of metal that damn hook is made of, but it was tougher than the drill press and bits at my old job...
Yep, a cobalt bit is what it takes.

Or, take the hook off, press out the 5/8 bolts and use M12 X 120 mm to remount the hitch and the hook so you don't have to drill, or so the story goes.

#12 ·
When I installed my class 3 Curt hitch I just removed the nuts and tapped the bolts with a mallet and it removed easily from the frame. Then I installed the hitch. removing the tow hook, and installing the hitch was relatively painless. The hardest part of the whole thing was installing/routing the factory tow harness and getting snapped into all the correct places...

My removed rear tow hook is on a shelf in my garage.

#13 ·
This was relatively painless. 1st remove (2)nuts from under the frame one small bolt from rear at tow hook. Pull tow hook with bolts attached. Same on opposite side. Using img from above post, or find a large 11/2 in deep well socket or similar tool and place the nuts on end of bolt, thread until flush (Allowing a larger surface to hit.) Set socket over bolt head and hit with large hammer. (8lb sledge worked like a charm. )
For the hitch bolts to maintain proper towing weight you will be required to drill out to a 5/8. (For a class 3 anyways.)
I bought 2 real nice cobalts $20ish for heavy steel and nice and slowly (with lube and awaiting a bit to allow bit to cool every now and then) dril led out with a drill press. Reinstalled with new hitch and torqued to 100ft lbs.
Good luck! And use 2 people on install, dont forget to trim fascia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.