Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished some calculations for the last 3 months, and was surprised.
I'm averaging 24.3mpg, even with the new Yokohama AT-S tires.
And this is in an FDII, with most of the driving done around town with the monthly trips up into the mountains loaded with gear.

This little Jeep just continues to amaze me.

edit: I do wish it had a bigger fuel tank though. Filling up every 3-4 days is too frequent.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks like good numbers to me. I'm about 10% off my normal fuel usage compared to summer, avg. about 31.7 summer, 28.4 winter. I to installed the yoko's, love them, but they're a little to wide for winter, the Pat isn't a heavy enough vehicle to keep on the road in heavy snow with this wide a tire, other than that, I love it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Looks like good numbers to me. I'm about 10% off my normal fuel usage compared to summer, avg. about 31.7 summer, 28.4 winter. I to installed the yoko's, love them, but they're a little to wide for winter, the Pat isn't a heavy enough vehicle to keep on the road in heavy snow with this wide a tire, other than that, I love it.
What size Yoko did you install?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm quite impressed by these numbers..... are you always driving hiway? My best is 33.9mpg but i think that can be thrown out as I only managed it once. The next best is 30.7mpg, and I only accomplished that twice in 84 tanks of fuel....
Having said that though, my average is not quite that good. At only 26.7mpg average i wish i could get it higher.....

Are you ever driving at the speed limit? :)

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of my calcs are based on actual gas pumped and mileage. Not the EVIC.
I put my Yoko's (225/65/17) on at the beginning of December, but I can't tell if there is any affect on the mileage. That's also about the time it finally cooled off here so that would make a difference too.

My typical driving is maybe 50/50 city/hwy, but all within the metro area. So even the hwy is 60-65mph max. When I go out of town (the mile/day avg jumps way up) then you see the mileage actually going down. It becomes almost all highway, but at 75-80mph, and the non-hwy is rough dirt roads at 15mph.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I typically drive about 40-60 city/hiway.
I don't have the EVIC so all my numbers are actually mileage and actual fuel fill up figures.
I maybe drive 10km/h above the speed limit

·
Registered
927 Posts
All of my calcs are based on actual gas pumped and mileage. Not the EVIC.
I put my Yoko's (225/65/17) on at the beginning of December, but I can't tell if there is any affect on the mileage. That's also about the time it finally cooled off here so that would make a difference too.

My typical driving is maybe 50/50 city/hwy, but all within the metro area. So even the hwy is 60-65mph max. When I go out of town (the mile/day avg jumps way up) then you see the mileage actually going down. It becomes almost all highway, but at 75-80mph, and the non-hwy is rough dirt roads at 15mph.
What size were the previous tires?

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
He has the 17" rims, so his previous tires were probably the stock 215/65R17's. Pretty good mileage numbers though for a FDII. It's really cold in the east right now and it's about time to remove the battery cover/air duct for me. I found last year that helped return my winter mileage figures by forcing warmer, underhood air into the intake vs. the fresh frigid air from the front.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm quite impressed by these numbers..... are you always driving hiway? My best is 33.9mpg but i think that can be thrown out as I only managed it once. The next best is 30.7mpg, and I only accomplished that twice in 84 tanks of fuel....
Having said that though, my average is not quite that good. At only 26.7mpg average i wish i could get it higher.....

Are you ever driving at the speed limit? :)
All my calculations are analog (amount of fuel used over distance driven) never by the ScanGaugeII, not reliable enough for precision calculations in MPG, but very reliable on GPH.

To answer your question Nib, I'm 99% Hwy, occasionally I'll have to stop for a Moose or Deer. I'm running the 225/65 17 yoko's. What you don't see in my MPG quotes is the multiple modifications I've done to the Patriot, ECU inputs, fuel warmer, O2 Sensor modifications, and fuel additives. Send me a message if you'd like to know more about them, but to be honest, it's not worth the time I've spent on it, or the fuel. Stay stock, for the most part anyway, it's easier that way.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Nice mileage, especially for this time of year.

I do wish it had a bigger fuel tank though. Filling up every 3-4 days is too frequent.
I drive about 100 miles a day to go to work, so I'm with you on a bigger tank. I have to stop about every other day for fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts