Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2008 Patriot among the A/C - Heater controls are the rear window defogger and recirc buttons supposed to be illuminated when the headlights are turned on?

I was driving home in the dark last night, wanted to turn on the rear window defogger and couldn't see the button. The button was not illuminated like the A/C button. The air recirculation button was not back lit either.

I'm not talking about the amber indicator light that comes on when the buttons are pressed. It's the blue/green behind the switch that makes it visible in the dark.

I just can't remember if the buttons were lit previously and are now longer working or if the buttons were never lit at night the same way that only one of the window buttons is lit on the driver-side door.

If the rear window defogger and recirc buttons are supposed to be back lit I need to get to the dealer while I stil have a few days left on the vehicle's warranty.

From reading the service manual it appears the A/C heating controls are an integrated assembly with no servicable parts so it is not as simple as replacing a light bulb that might have burned out behind the buttons.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just went outside and checked mine. Yes, the backlight is on with headlights and/or sidelights. Buttons light only when pressed, and re-circ only when temp selector set to minimum and fan is on. Good luck with warranty claim!

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Yes, there are tiny board mounted LEDs that should backlight the "whites" of the button so that you see the logos.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

Based on your replies I went to the dealership. Took them a while to figure out if there was a bulb to be replaced, an LED that went bad, or if the buttons were not supposed to be back lit. Eventually they figured it out by remembering that they had another Jeep Patriot in the shop, took a look at it's rear window defogger button, and saw that it indeed was lit when the headlights were on unlike mine.

Consequently they ordered a new A/C - Heater control unit for my Patriot and will be replacing it this week under warranty. Not sure how much the entire control unit costs but in any case it has to be a significantly more than the cost of the couple of LEDs that burned out. I wonder how long all the other LEDs that illuminate buttons, knobs, and other assorted controls are going to last. Makes me long for the day when dash and control illumination was provided by easy to replace bulbs.... Thanks for the assist!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The parts are all made in China,Malaysia,Thailand,etc....
Not that I have anything against these countries ,but we all know why they are produced there:cheap labour.
Quality control probably sucks.Maybe they didn't even put the LEDs in in the first place!
Did they ever work?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts