Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Patriot Latitude 2.4l 4wd
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’ve been noticing my rear wheels leaning top inward as of late. Two days ago I REALLY noticed ware on the inner side of the tires, both of the rears. I felt around and the tires are also cupping. The passenger side being the worst (see photo) Also, that tires pressure was alittle low. I’m figuring the low pressure and tilt played a role in the cupping. But my question is, where do I start to look to see what’s causing the bad camber on both sides. I have not had a chance to jack it up and try and wiggle anything. But have read a few posts about worn struts causing this problem. Is there any other things to look at. I’ll also check for any play in the upper control arm, but that’s all I can think of. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sandstone. I remember we had the upper control arm conversation a few months ago. Going to take a closer look. Also saw something about the knuckle being abut twisted indicating it going bad. And i just read something about the springs needed replacement around 60k. I’m at 158k. I think it’s time for some suspension overhauling. Going to try and get in there this weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good Skip, let us know what you find.
Hey Sandstone, do you know if the rear shock/strut assembly is the same from 07 through 2012...and beyond. Everything I’m finding that says compatible with my year while searching, then I read the part description, it says 07-10. Is that just a possible typo or is there a difference between 2010 and later years.
im a 2012 latitude 4wd.
Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I’ve been doing some research and starting to think the ware on my passenger rear tire inner is from the toe being out of alignment. But I’ve also looked up the adjustable upper control arms. My wheels definitely have an inward tilt to them. I’ve found two different ones on eBay. One is from Detroit Axle and is your standard looking adjustable upper control arm. The other is from first racing and is a billet style. It says fitment is for Mitsubishi Lancer. But doesn’t say anything about the Patriot. BUT... the Detroit Axle one fits the Patriot, but also fits the same model Lancers that the First Racing one fits. So I’m wondering if the First Racing would fit the Patriot. The adjuster on the First Racing seems a bit easier to fine tune. See pictures.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over the weekend I had a chance to check some stuff out. I jacked up the rear wheels and tried to wiggle them to see if there was any play anywhere, nothing. Just a very slight bit in the upper control arm on the driver side. Nothing side to side. Next back on the ground I took a long straight bar and checked the wheel alignment, rear to front. I did this my holding it across the 3 and 9 o’clock on the rear wheel and up to the front wheel. The passenger side ran straight to the front wheel. Perfectly across the rear tire and front. Next , the driver side. Same technique, that side was about an inch out from the front wheel.
I am wondering if the driver side out of alignment is pulling on the passenger side wheel and causing the wavy cupping that is happening on the inner side of that tire.
also. I’m am trying to figure out the stock clearance from my 17” rim to the edge of the fender. I’m getting 9 1/2”. I want to see if my strut springs are going. I hopped on the bumper and everything reacted normally. Everything feels solid. Driving down the road it holds straight, no banging or noises on rough roads.
other thenwhat seems like too much negative camber and the tire wear on the inner sides. Everything seems ok.
I also took some other measurements. Ground to fuel tank strap 10.25”
Ground to outer edge of rear fender 31.75”
17” rim to outer edge rear fender 9.75”
Top of tire tread out to fender outer edge. 6”

1 - 7 of 7 Posts