Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Pat, but as time goes on, I am more disturbed about how difficult it is for me to see out of my front windshield when veering / turning to the right. I have to dip my head down several inches whenever I make a right turn or veer to the right so I can actually see out of my windshield.

I am quite tall and have the seat adjusted to the lowest to the floor setting. My head is very close to the interior roof. Do a test for yourselves and see what it looks like when you raise your line of vision to that height. It's not good.

The only thing I can think of doing is moving up the rear view mirror an inch (it can't go up any higher than that because of the black bubbly stuff on the windshield...what is that anyway? Sensors? Think I could remove that stuff so the mirror could be raised even more?). Does anyone see any implications for moving this up an inch or more to improve my area of vision out the front windshield?

I know I had a windshield replaced in my old car and the mounting of the rear view mirror was not done well and it kept falling off. Once it fell right onto my hand (while I was shifting)...OUCH! So, I have to consider that perhaps this needs to be done professionally.

Any comments on this - or any advice on how to improve my front windshield vision?

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am quite tall and have the seat adjusted to the lowest to the floor setting. My head is very close to the interior roof.
Oh My God how tall are you? haha I have a friend who is really tall he has his seat all the way back and has it pretty leaned back to the point where his head lines up to where he can look out the back window.

the black bubbly stuff on the windshield...what is that anyway? Sensors?
I have no idea but was wondering that the other day when I saw that the 2011 Wrangler has this black stuff with a jeep grill design on it. check it out 4:06-4:25 I think the little jeep going up the the rocky terrain on the side of the window is a little to much!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh My God how tall are you? haha I have a friend who is really tall he has his seat all the way back and has it pretty leaned back to the point where his head lines up to where he can look out the back window.
I am not a giant - just a very loooong torso, with average length legs. I actually need to sit very upright (not comfy for me to adjust the seat back at an angle) and close to the steering wheel. My set-up was perfect in my old Suzuki Grand Vitara (those things have huge windshields and a very upright view out the front - now reminds me of a milk truck or something!), but this car does not seem to flow with my body type. I feel like taking the rear view mirror OFF alltogether! Or gluing it to the passenger side of the windshield!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am not a giant - just a very loooong torso, with average length legs. I actually need to sit very upright (not comfy for me to adjust the seat back at an angle) and close to the steering wheel. My set-up was perfect in my old Suzuki Grand Vitara (those things have huge windshields and a very upright view out the front - now reminds me of a milk truck or something!), but this car does not seem to flow with my body type. I feel like taking the rear view mirror OFF alltogether! Or gluing it to the passenger side of the windshield!!!
Jeeps cry out for personalization! I'd say go for it.......:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I guess we all have issues tall or short. I am rather short and my problem is exactly the opposite....the side mirror on the driver side actually obstructs my vision. But I have gotten used to it. Just make sure I look around the mirror when pulling out. BTW, I am curious too what the "black bubbly things" are?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Any clue on what you would use to stick it back on?
Any auto parts store will have a little kit for less than $5 that is made for putting your rear view mirror back on. Just follow the instructions and you will have not problems. I have had to remount a few mirrors in some of my older vehicles and had no problems.

Just remove the mirror from the metal stud that it is mounted too...carefully pry the stud off of the window and remount. :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Try lowering your seat....North edition comes with a height adjustable seat. Might be all the way to the top already and all you need to do is lower it.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Ok, so I'm 5'-6", so I can't relate, but if I remember correctly I have a large amount of room over my head... Are you like 6'8 or something?

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I was able to adjust my mirror way up out of the way. It's a double jointed affair so push the joint at the window all the way up, then while holding it there, adjust the mirror back down. The bar will come down some but i was able to raise mine a good inch or so from the factory setting. As for the black dot stuff, it's a sort of poor mans tint. If you're going to reattach the mirror higher, just use a razor and scrape the paint off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found if u are the first one in front of a traffic light, viewing range through windshield is so low and narrow, you have to lower your head in order to see the traffic light.
not a major concern, but tiny bugging from time to time.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Funny another tall person who went from a Suzuki to a Patriot. For small SUVs they do have some room. At least you can fit, I tried other vehicles that were not comfortable, although I must not be as tall or different proportions from you as I am very comfortable in the Jeep. I had to raise my seat quite a bit though, and run it all the way back, but it's very comfortable, even when in it for long periods.

The view is a bit odd, can't see a lot of lights I agree, but then the morning and evening sun stays out of your eyes too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to adjust my mirror way up out of the way. It's a double jointed affair so push the joint at the window all the way up, then while holding it there, adjust the mirror back down. The bar will come down some but i was able to raise mine a good inch or so from the factory setting. As for the black dot stuff, it's a sort of poor mans tint. If you're going to reattach the mirror higher, just use a razor and scrape the paint off.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for this info! :smiley_thumbs_up: If I can't adjust it to my liking, I am going to probably take it into a glass place and have them shave that sh*+ off and remount it to the tippy-top of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I had the rearview fall off inside my Blazer. I bought a kit to fix it, but never did get around to it. I honestly didn't even miss that mirror, i just got used to using the side mirrors.

It actually got me wondering if that location would be good for a GPS unit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I found if u are the first one in front of a traffic light, viewing range through windshield is so low and narrow, you have to lower your head in order to see the traffic light.
not a major concern, but tiny bugging from time to time.
I too have noticed this but my add-on sunroof solved the problem, just have to get a little closer to the light and look up :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts