Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok my mechanic tells me my rear pinion is leaking but to get to the seal is not a regular removal of a nut situation and when he called for a new seal they told him its not a part that is sold for a 2011 jeep pat. I have to get a whole new or rebuilt rear diff.

is this legit? or does he just not want to do the job?

second opinions or information anyone?

·
Registered
727 Posts
They're too stupid or lazy to do the right thing, and that's to remove the rear differential and measure the dimensions of the existing seal. It can then be sourced from any bearing supply company using the given dimensions.

I know this because that's what I have done when working on industrial gearboxes with defunct or unidentified manufacturers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They do not need to measure the seal. All manufactures stamp the part number on the grease and oil seals. With that number parts places can look up directly or cross reference the part number.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Looking for dimension markings should be obvious, but I've come across a few bearings and seals without markings in my career. Either way these guys should be able to figure it out, or find another shop that can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most dealers mechanics aren’t real mechanics.They’re trained to change oil and check tire pressures.When it comes to removing a transmission or differential they’re dumbfounded. Their first response is to just get a new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts