Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I among a lot of people have had the issue with the rear hatch leak.
I refused to take it to the dealer, because they are a rip off, so I was determined to fix it myself.

I first took out the headliner, then took the seal on the back hatch out.

I soaked the rear hatch with my hose, and seen it coming out of a circular seal on the rear.

Upon looking into the hole, there are two pieces of metal there... Hmm, looking into that I followed it to where it was coming in, and found that it was coming in through the black strip of trim, IT IS NOT THE ROOF RACK OR SEAL!!!!!, it is bad production from Jeep/Chrysler!!!!, upon sealing the body to roof with silicone, water tested it, and fixed, ive attached pictures of my chaos with this Patriot, but I love my Jeep, I would rather try to fix it then get rid of it.

The bead of silicone looks worse in the pic then actually is!!! silly Iphone :p

Thanks Guys!!!

And I hope this helps everyone!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nice finding! It was worth the chaos...
Perhaps you just unveiled the mystery surrounding the infamous 'rear dome leak'

·
I don't reMember
1,133 Posts
Wow, those are some great pics and will be helpful to anyone wanting to fix that type of leak, or even for other issues. Thanks for posting them!!

I bought the 4 handles that go in the headrest above each door, and I need to at least drop my headliner down to see what is up there. I am not sure if there are already threaded holes up there for the handles, or if I will have to use sheet metal screws, or what. When you removed the headliner, did you have to be careful because of the side airbags? Can you give me any tips, etc. for removing it? Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Csowers: There are plastic cups under the head liner, those are spacers from the head liner to the actual roof. And thanks for the positive feedback guys!!!, I HATE GOING TO THE DEALER!!!! dealer = devil!!, if it can be fixed, I will find a way to fix it, I'm currently working on the rear suspension squeak, I've got it almost fixed.

AND!! No I was not worried with the air bags, they are away from the headrest, Scariest thing was the detonators in the rear for the air bag system, just because I had to drive around for a couple days with no head liner in it, Only tip I have for you, is keep track of everything you do, all the pieces all the steps, because it will be hard to install it back in without remembering how you took it out.

Thanks Guys :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts