Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
It is possible that the u-joint cannot be replaced using Mopar parts, but can be replaced using aftermarket parts. The factories are going to less subassembly parts stocking and are requiring us consumers to buy larger more expensive assemblies to replace a subassembly failure. It simplifies their inventory and increases parts sales. At least untile the aftermarket gears up to support the new cars.

An example is the Moog front ball joints where Mopar wants to sell the entire front lower control arm when a ball joint goes bad.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
The service manual makes no mention of replacing/servicing the U-Joint, but from the pictures, it appears like a normal enough joint. You may need to take it out and measure it to find a replacement. I'd start with looking at the Lancer EVO and Outlander replacement parts first. I'd bet money they were the same. The nice part is, you can remove the driveshaft and just have a 2 wheel drive Patriot while you are fixing it. No down time required!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone been able to verify that the parts listed above may work? I have an 08 Pat 4x, that is making rear end noise, and I'm trying to sort out what parts might be needed over the weekend (not sure if it's rear end, or ujoint, doesn't sound like bearings). Just talked to the stealership, and it's 600 bucks and change for a driveshaft assembly to fix a u-joint. Don't even want to know what a rear end would run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the second post....... forgot to put in the first one... Or, are aftermarket u-joints available for the driveshaft? If so, can you point me in a direction? I haven't been able to locate one.... hope I'm just being dense and missed something easy.....

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
The OP never posted back with a solution and as far as I know, no one else has had one go bad. Remove the driveshaft to see if the noise goes away, this will at least help narrow down if it is a u-joint or not. While removed measure the u-joint end caps and and total lengths. A parts house like NAPA should have the moog catalog with dimensions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drive Shaft Removal

I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot. Can someone please supply instructions on how to remove the drive shaft? I'm not able to turn the drive shaft to get access to all of the bolts?

I have both rear wheels off the ground. I've tried to spin the rear wheels (both turn opposite directions) but the shaft does not spin. I've also tried grabbing hold of the shaft and turning. I've tried to get the shaft to turn with the vehicle in park, neutral, drive, reverse etc... Also tried all of the above with 4wd engaged and not engaged.

Any help/comments appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts
I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot. Can someone please supply instructions on how to remove the drive shaft? I'm not able to turn the drive shaft to get access to all of the bolts?

I have both rear wheels off the ground. I've tried to spin the rear wheels (both turn opposite directions) but the shaft does not spin. I've also tried grabbing hold of the shaft and turning. I've tried to get the shaft to turn with the vehicle in park, neutral, drive, reverse etc... Also tried all of the above with 4wd engaged and not engaged.

Any help/comments appreciated. Thanks!
This is probably going to sound strange, but try raising the front wheels off the ground, then try spinning the front wheels or turning the drive shaft.

·
Registered
89 Posts
While removed measure the u-joint end caps and and total lengths. A parts house like NAPA should have the moog catalog with dimensions.
You should not have to measure and check the Moog catalog with dimensions. If they have one by dimensions, then it will be listed in the regular parts catalog.

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
You should not have to measure and check the Moog catalog with dimensions. If they have one by dimensions, then it will be listed in the regular parts catalog.
Back in 2012, no one listed a part number for the u-joints. Even today, rockauto only lists a complete driveshaft, but I guarantee you it is a standard u-joint, so long as you match the dimensions.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Back in 2012, no one listed a part number for the u-joints. Even today, rockauto only lists a complete driveshaft, but I guarantee you it is a standard u-joint, so long as you match the dimensions.
More than likely it's a "staked" joint and while probably a normal size they aren't as easy to replace.

Best thing would be to pull the shaft and take it to a driveline shop for the replacement since they'll have the correct tools to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The service manual makes no mention of replacing/servicing the U-Joint, but from the pictures, it appears like a normal enough joint. You may need to take it out and measure it to find a replacement. I'd start with looking at the Lancer EVO and Outlander replacement parts first. I'd bet money they were the same. The nice part is, you can remove the driveshaft and just have a 2 wheel drive Patriot while you are fixing it. No down time required!

I'm looking to dolly tow my Patriot and want to disconnect the driveshaft in the summer to drive and tow it, reconnect in the winter when I want AWD. Do you have a brief description on how to remove the driveshaft? Or parts of the driveshaft that would disconnect the rear differential? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts
According to the owners manual, if you have a manual 4x4 you can flat tow it, but neither 4x4 manuals or automatics can be dolly towed.

That said, if you want to remove the drive shaft you can download a set of manuals at the link below that should have the info.

2007 TO 2016 Jeep Compass & Patriot Service Repair Workshop Manual.pdf

(Note: click through any messages about file size to big to preview and virus scanning and the download should start.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking to dolly tow my Patriot and want to disconnect the driveshaft in the summer to drive and tow it, reconnect in the winter when I want AWD. Do you have a brief description on how to remove the driveshaft? Or parts of the driveshaft that would disconnect the rear differential? Thanks!
Bullfrog, I also want to dolly tow my Latitude 4x4. I have been questioning around and everybody just quotes me the manual.

Having said that, someone said take out the driveshaft and dolly tow because when not in 4x4 all it does is drag the rear end around anyway.
Another said take out the rear drive shaft and it will still function in front wheel drive. See where I am going with this? Makes sense/no sense!
Let me know what you find out and I will also.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
TomA, the way I understand it is that Patriots are essentially front wheel drive vehicles (transversely mounted engine and transmission) with an output driveshaft sending power to rear differential and wheels. Computer somewhat directs what wheel power goes to but they are more AWD than 4 wheel drive because the rear driveshaft and differential spin all the time. Meaning there is no disengaging the rear wheels from the driveshaft and transmission just because the 4x4 lever is off. The rear wheels are not dragged along, they are engaged to the differential, drive shaft, and to transmission all the time, hence no dolly towing allowed. I’ve heard that the driveshaft can be disconnected from differential with 4 bolts fairly easily with driveshaft temporarily supported for dolly towing, but then you have to crawl underneath and reconnect the driveshaft before the jeep can be driven around again. So, my thought was remove either the whole drive shaft, or at least the section from the rear differential to the center bearing (not sure thats possible) so it can be driven around in two wheel drive and dolly towed at will. Then re-install driveshaft when 4 wheel is needed. More than likely this will require the entire driveshaft be removed up to the front universal joint. I'm looking for input like you are from people who maybe have done this, or at least input on how the driveshaft is removed, and if the jeep can be driven in 2 wheel drive with it removed without doing any damage. The Patriot seems like the perfect tow vehicle since it is so light, and has a fairly roomy interior and cargo for a "small" vehicle, so I feel like someone out there has done it. I've also heard about aftermarket driveshaft decouplers, but I have no idea if such a thing exists for a Jeep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TomA, the way I understand it is that Patriots are essentially front wheel drive vehicles (transversely mounted engine and transmission) with an output driveshaft sending power to rear differential and wheels. Computer somewhat directs what wheel power goes to but they are more AWD than 4 wheel drive because the rear driveshaft and differential spin all the time. Meaning there is no disengaging the rear wheels from the driveshaft and transmission just because the 4x4 lever is off. The rear wheels are not dragged along, they are engaged to the differential, drive shaft, and to transmission all the time, hence no dolly towing allowed. I’ve heard that the driveshaft can be disconnected from differential with 4 bolts fairly easily with driveshaft temporarily supported for dolly towing, but then you have to crawl underneath and reconnect the driveshaft before the jeep can be driven around again. So, my thought was remove either the whole drive shaft, or at least the section from the rear differential to the center bearing (not sure thats possible) so it can be driven around in two wheel drive and dolly towed at will. Then re-install driveshaft when 4 wheel is needed. More than likely this will require the entire driveshaft be removed up to the front universal joint. I'm looking for input like you are from people who maybe have done this, or at least input on how the driveshaft is removed, and if the jeep can be driven in 2 wheel drive with it removed without doing any damage. The Patriot seems like the perfect tow vehicle since it is so light, and has a fairly roomy interior and cargo for a "small" vehicle, so I feel like someone out there has done it. I've also heard about aftermarket driveshaft decouplers, but I have no idea if such a thing exists for a Jeep.
Thank you for the reply. I will be dolly towing mine in June. I plan to remove the shaft from the rear differential and doing it that way.
If we don't heat from someone that has done it, I will let you know.

TomA

1 - 19 of 19 Posts