Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 patriot sport 4×4 2.4L,oh where to start with this vehicle,I installed a new aftermarket tranny cooler which helps a little with the overheating issue, now my rear tires are leaning inward bad bad. I replaced upper control arms but as soon as I sat the car back on the ground right back in it went. The bushings are shot in the lowers on each side, would this cause the severe tire lean? I just bought new tires on April and have roasted them at 6500 and the rear is now worn to the belts. Im changing the lowers but will that fix my issue if anyone has had this issue please help.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,567 Posts
Welcome. If the bushings in the lower control arms are worn out, it could definitely make the tops of the tires lean inwards. Will it correct the lean for sure? Only one way to find out, but if they're shot, they definitely need to be replaced.

Regarding your overheating tranny, when's the last time the fluid was changed? It should be replaced every 50-60k miles, along with the 2 tranny filters, regardless of what the manual says. If that's been done and it's still overheating, try draining a few mm of fluid out. The one time that a shop put fluid in mine, they managed to overfill it a little bit. Too much fluid will cause the fluid to foam up, which causes it to not flow properly, resulting in overheating and possible trans damage. It is MUCH better to have it a few mm under filled rather than a few mm over filled.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,966 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I think the above answers are presupposing that you've checked your frame and it is solid? Some Patriots have had premature rust on the frames resulting in failure. This is a worst case scenario, but it's a possibility. Let's hope not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the site!

I think the above answers are presupposing that you've checked your frame and it is solid? Some Patriots have had premature rust on the frames resulting in failure. This is a worst case scenario, but it's a possibility. Let's hope not.
Frame is solid still,floorboards all that a 👍 👌. So I notice where my bushings are worn is the rear lateral tow bar....the bushings are shot....if o change this does the control arm need changed also? The actual control arm housing looks good still..

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts
.....So I notice where my bushings are worn is the rear lateral tow bar....the bushings are shot....if o change this does the control arm need changed also? ..
You don't have to change the lower control arm at the same time as the toe links, unless the control arm is bad for some reason.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had the rear of my 2010 rebuilt 3 times. First time at the dealership replaced the uppers for the very same reason put it on the rack and the rear alignment was close but not dead on. That lasted about a year and again had the tops leaning in severely roasting my tires. Second time took it to a tire shop. They used aftermarket adjustable uppers and again had the rear alignment close but not dead on causing rear tire ware. Went back to the tire shop a third time and this time they found aftermarket adjustable toe links. After the third rebuild the alignment was as close as possible and has held up well. I must say being in the snow belt the car was undriveable when it had the tire lean issues. Literally felt the the ass end was trying to pass the front causing constant left to right swerving above 40 MPH. Bottom line is go with aftermarket upper and toe links that are adjustable and get a 4 wheel alignment After installing.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,966 Posts
I have had the rear of my 2010 rebuilt 3 times. First time at the dealership replaced the uppers for the very same reason put it on the rack and the rear alignment was close but not dead on. That lasted about a year and again had the tops leaning in severely roasting my tires. Second time took it to a tire shop. They used aftermarket adjustable uppers and again had the rear alignment close but not dead on causing rear tire ware. Went back to the tire shop a third time and this time they found aftermarket adjustable toe links. After the third rebuild the alignment was as close as possible and has held up well. I must say being in the snow belt the car was undriveable when it had the tire lean issues. Literally felt the the ass end was trying to pass the front causing constant left to right swerving above 40 MPH. Bottom line is go with aftermarket upper and toe links that are adjustable and get a 4 wheel alignment After installing.
Thank you for your post! It reminds me of some posts I'd seen a few years ago about people whose Patriots were unstable in slippery conditions. I admit I kinda blew them off because I've never had the problem with either of our Patriots -- 2008 & 2014, both FWD. Both our Patriots are fine in snow and ice even without 4wd.

Later in its life a mechanic told me the rear of our 2008 wasn't adjustable because the bolts were frozen with age and it was "close enough" that he didn't think it was worth ripping it all apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts