Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First, I have to repeat how helpful this forum has been!

I am in the process of changing both front & rear subframes on my 2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4WD 2.4L.

I am thankful I found the forum when I was doing the front end. I noticed the ball joint on both sides needed replacing and it was suggested on here to use a CK part with grease fittings which has shown to be more durable.

I have now moved on to the back subframe and noticed that the bushings of the lower control arms are both bad.

Now on to the questions(in bold).... is there a specific part that should be used for the back that is more durable and better quality like the CK Version control arms I used in the front?

Here is a picture taken from a video representing the parts I have:

Automotive tire Car Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part

When looking at replacement parts that are said to “fit my vehicle” I see many control arms with a bracket on it where a different type of stabilizer bar link is attached rather than what I have above. Are these control arms interchangeable? There seems to be more variety, availability, and differing pricing on the bracketed version rather than the one I have.

Lastly, although I have not finished removing the subframe I am going to assume in advance that the upper control arms could possibly be bad since it seems everything else is/was.

Assuming I find the upper arms need replacing are there any recommended products to use as a suitable replacement that will last?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Administrator
8,234 Posts
Sometimes the models with the bracket have a hole drilled through them so they'll work with either older or newer rear sway bar mounts:
Bumper Office supplies Camera accessory Automotive exterior Audio equipment

As far as a more durable part, you could try to find FDII parts which have metal braces welded across the sides, but unless you think you're going to hit them on rocks you probably don't need them.

New FDII braced control arms vs damaged FDI control arms:

Wood Tool Hardwood Auto part Bicycle part

The other thing you could do it try to add more grease to the spherical joint on the end of the control arm that bolts to the trailing arm / swing arm by pulling back the rubber boot and using an injector needle. Example below is on a rear toe link, but it's bascially the same idea. The upper control arms have one of those joints too:

Automotive tire Rim Door Gas Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
8,234 Posts
Oh, and on which brand of upper control arm to use, it's hard to recommend a brand since they tend to change their manufacturers from time to time which makes quality "hit-and-miss".

That said, IMO unless you're buying camber adjustable upper control arms (if you have a lift), they're all pretty much just a flat piece of metal with a rubber bushing at one end and a spherical joint (add extra grease) on the other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes the models with the bracket have a hole drilled through them so they'll work with either older or newer rear sway bar mounts:
View attachment 97310
This is exactly what I was hoping for that this part was intended to be made for both types of stabilizer links for the various models. Perfect.

Based on your added information about durability (with the exception of adding grease) it would seem that unlike the front control arms there isn’t much difference between the manufacturers of the rear control arms.

Thanks so much for the knowledge this is exactly the information I needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts