Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 4wd 5 speed manual trans. Over the last two and a half years have spent thousands on this thing. Didn't have a noticeable issue during the summer but then winter hit. Any and I mean any amount of covering on the road and the jeep was not drivable. Back end of the jeep was trying to pass up the front sliding uncontrollably side to side. Took it into my jeep dealer and they wouldn't allow it back on the road until the rear alignment was fixed. After spending a arm and a leg had new OEM upper control arms installed and alignment checked and a new set of tires was back on the road. Fast forward one year and noticed the back tires leaning in on the tops and the steel belts of my new tires sticking out on the insides of the tires. Back to the shop again and to no surprise the alignment was out of specks again. Now they had a new adjustable upper control arm, factory arms are fixed. After spending another arm and leg had both uppers replaced and rear alignment done again. At full adjustment the driver's side was within 5deg and passenger was dead on. Fast forward 6 months and again noticed driving issues with the rear of the jeep. Take it back into the shop and they now make an adjustable toe arm for the rear suspension as the factory are fixed. Working on saving up money for the latest fix I noticed that the tire was leaning in again and low and behold the steel belts hanging out of the inside of my new tires. Take it in today to have the adjustable tow arms installed and get a call that the lower control arms are shot causing the camber adjustment issues and extreme tire ware. Spending another arm and leg for parts and alignment and now waiting on yet another set of new tires. According to my shop he is now seeing numerous jeep Patriots with the rear alignments so far out of specks they are death traps rolling down the road add any amount of snow or slush and you can kiss your tail goodbye. Seems like after the rear suspensions wear and settle it throws the rear alignment severely out of specks and the factory suspension parts are all fixed and non adjustable. Spending thousands to replace the factory rear suspension with after market adjustable parts. I can't understand how there hasn't been a recall on this vehicle when the alignment gets so far out from normal suspension ware this vehicle becomes a death trap.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
You didn't say whether you bought this new or used, or how many miles, but in any case a vehicle that's been in service nearly 10 years is bound to have things that are going to be worn and need replacing, and in particular suspension parts.

Sounds to me like the rear springs (and possibly rear struts) could be weak/worn out, hence the excessive negative camber and tire wear, and probably contributing to the replacement control arm bushings quickly wearing out. If so, adding adjustable control arms alone will simply mask the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeep was purchased new and currently has 96,000 miles. The rear suspension is squatting some over time but not " worn out " problem with the factory set up is that over time any suspension is going to squat from factory height, all rear alignment settings are fixed point allowing no adjustment to compensate for squatting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update as of today January 14th 3 months after having its latest rebuild the jeep is having the same issue. Although never 100 percent comfortable with the handling especially in the winter the jeep was solid with snow on the ground. As of this week after receiving 1-2" of snow on the roads, nothing for northern WI again this vehicle is all over the road. Once you get around 40 mph it's constant corrections side to side to keep the jeep on the road. Never in my 35+ years of driving have I ever owned such an unstable vehicle. It goes in Friday once again to go up on the rack and find out why it can't stay on the road. I find it nearly impossible that I would be the only one out there to have such a horrible experience with this make / model

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds dangerous and that something is broke....Park it until you take it in. We got a couple of additional inches of snow in eastern ND this morning and I had no problem with driving.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Go to a different alignment shop that Jeep dealer has been ripping you off years. I replaced my OEM Upper Control Arms and Toe Links with adjustable units about 2 years ago. It was easy to do in my garage. I used string, a tape measure, and a level to do the alignment (helps to have a friend hold the string). I've been driving it for 2 years with no problems and it handles excellent in the snow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts