Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't think your opinion is correct DeepCherry201. All plugs have copper cores. The conventional "copper core" plugs on the Patriots have nickel electrodes vs. platinum, iridium, or ruthenium on longer lasting plugs. The argument that conventional "copper plugs" have less resistance and take less energy from the coils to fire doesn't hold water, in my opinion. The coils have more than enough power to fire any of the electrode tips and the conductivity of the electrode material is moot from what I have studied. The conventional "copper plugs" will take more energy as the gap erodes for sure. If anything, I have read that the precious metal plugs, especially iridium and ruthenium are easier to fire because of their fine wire design vs. conventional plugs. Platinum plugs might be the outlier here compared to the fine wire ones.

Here's a few articles that support my ideas: Guide to Spark Plug Materials

"Iridium spark plugs feature a fine wire center electrode that is designed to conduct electrical energy better and increase firing efficiency. "

"Iridium’s properties reduce the ignition voltage requirement considerably and contribute to improving the spread of the flame front in the combustion chamber. "

21 - 21 of 21 Posts