Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Rain X Latitude blades on The Runt. I got them at Auto Zone for $19 each. They snapped right in and so far work great.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I also am using the same Wiper Blades and are working just fine. I would buy them again, no problem.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Another excellent blade is the Michelin. Great performance and longivity. Ric

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just put the bosch icon on my pat, so far so good. i've read some reviews where the rainx blow apart as your driving.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I just got the Trico Neoform blades on my Tracker. They work great, and no need for winter blades. I was coming back to Pgh from my home in the mountains, and the winter blades on the Tracker were shot, and on the highway with a a lot of salt spray, I really needed them. So tried out these new blades that will work for winter and summer, and they really work well.

Bought them at NAPA. Don't forget NAPA gives a AAA discount if you go there and are a AAA member.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I just installed Rain X Latitude blades on The Runt. I got them at Auto Zone for $19 each. They snapped right in and so far work great.
$19 EACH? I need some new blades. Mine are 18 months in use, and have blown up. I'm not sure i'd be willing to lay down $38 + tax on a set of wiper blades unless they also checked the air in the tires and topped off the oil.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't know why put I used to go through 2 or 3 wiper sets a years. I don't know if that is normal or not but I was getting tired of buying new wipers and changing them all the time. I used to get the Bosch Icon because they weren't the cheapest or most expensive and I thought they were good but then I decided to buy a pair of Rain-X Latitude. The total for the pair was $53 a little expensive but they have lasted for the longest time. If I remember right it was about this time last year when I bought them it might be about a year now and the Rain-X ones have been the best so far.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am doing a little experiment. I got three of the top wipers and put them on three different vehicles. I have the top of the line rain x, bosch and anco. So far they all work great. We will see how they hold up over time.

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
I think I'm done with so-called 'winter' blades. My original wiper blades were working fine at 2 1/2 years and 50,000 miles -- no streaks, no cracks, no tears. "Nope, nope," the service manager replied, "Can't pass them. Gotta have new ones." OK, but I saved the old ones. The new ones are the rubber encased 'winter' blades. Nice and stiff and brand new, they contacted about half as much glass as my old 'failed' blades. I wiggled and stretched them to no avail, then thought maybe they'd soften up with use, but funny thing about rubber, the colder it gets the stiffer it gets. What's the difference between new blades that are too stiff to contact the windshield and old 'summer' blades that may (or may not) encrust with snow and become equally stiff.

Now to the physics of it. I'm no physicist, but I wonder if the rubber encased blades are less flexible under normal conditions, and actually offer more surface area for the ice to encrust, and consequently become less flexible in winter?

In the end its the thin edge that does the work and once the wiper contacts the outer firinge of the cleared area, it picks up ice and gradually lifts the blade from the windshield. That's the real problem, and its totally unaffected by the rubber boot.

So-o, my question. Is any blade really better in winter? Or is my cynical view that they all fail miserably correct?

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Winter blades have been better for me in winter, mostly due to them not getting ice build up inside the arm, and creating problems. But I've found winter blade, because they are encased in rubber, tend to blow off the windshield at high speeds on the highway.

The ones you got sound like they were bad from the start.

The Neoforms I got seem to be the best of both worlds. No ice and snow build up, no "lifting" at high speeds, and work really well.

I put these ones on, and so far I really like them.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/replacement/windshieldwiperproducts/wiperblades/ShowContent.aspx?ID=21

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I just bought the Rain-X blades, just the refills (no arm). They were no more pricy than the other premium blades. About $10 each at Autozone. They went on in about 60 seconds each. REAL easy to change. They look and feel heavier than the stock blades. They contact the windshield great. Supposed to get 3 inches of fresh snow today, I guess I'll find out how they well they work. 1 note on the changeover, the passenger side is 21 in, drivers side is 20 in. Dont get them confused, and dont pay any attention to the clerk at Autozone who tells you its the opposite orientation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My sister installed to Rain-X lattitude wipers on her Accent and said they work great. I installed them on my 'roit the same day I picked up new sneakers for her and they're amazing. I've been recommending them to all my co-workers, and even the fleet manager at the office.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've been using RainX lattitude since 2005 on many different vehicles. They lasted at least 2 years before I traded the trucks, so I really can't attest to the blades lasting any longer except for my current vehicle, 2009 Ram 1500 they've lasted a little over 2yrs and I had one replaced under warranty a month ago. A branch landed right on the blade and it blew into pieces. Rainx replaced it without a problem although I lied to them and said the blades were only a few months old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm using the RainX Latitudes. Replaced both the driver side and the passenger side wipers. They work pretty well, but I did notice a gap at the bottom of the driver side wiper where it does not connect with the windshield. Hoping this solves itself. Otherwise they have been great!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
This Patriot goes through wipers faster than any vehicle I have ever had. The windshield is not flat( it is wavy )and it causes the blades to warp and not work well after say 6 months. A real PITA!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm still on the original blades from February of 2012 and they still work great!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have not even used mine yet (except for window cleaning) - probably won't until fall. On my Liberty, I had to replace them every fall. 110°+ just seems to kill all blades - does not seem to matter what brand. I figure I will have to replace them before they even see rain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts