Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 jeep patriot.

sunroof leaked and now 2 issues.

1. radio doesn't work. uconnect comes on and off screen.
a- should i replace with after market.
b-can i get fixed fairly cheap.

2. A/C doesn't work. control knobs function turning . but when you push the A/C knob or the Recircilation Knob neither works.

thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
How bad was the sun roof leak? Does it still work?
Did water get down down to the dash area?
If so, this could have affected the radio and AC controls.

There might still be moisture in the sunroof mechanism or dash causing electrical problems.
If the sun roof can still be opened, might want to leave it open and drive around to dry it out
Or blow compressed air into its innards.
If lucky, maybe after a while a good airing out will fix the problem.
Worth a try, got nothing to lose.

Another possibility.
Maybe water got into the sunroof module, dash or connectors and played havoc with TIPM.
Don't know as fact, but the AC controls and radio are likely controlled by the TIPM.

Far as the radio, id pull it first before replacing then check and re-seat the connectors.
Other than that, i doubt the radio itself went belly up because of the leak unless somehow water got in it.

If you decide to replace the radio, you might want to get a used one from ebay or a boneyard and save some money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks moparado,

it leak pretty bad. the morning of the leak dash lights were going off. everything was flashing. this happen about 2 weeks ago. i did dry everything out. i pulled radio and re seated wiring. the sunroof still works. just lost the a/c and radio. i will look into this TIPM. dont know much about that. i believe if i have to replace the radio i will with a aftermarket. the factory one used is over $500.

·
Registered
308 Posts
thanks moparado,

it leak pretty bad. the morning of the leak dash lights were going off. everything was flashing. this happen about 2 weeks ago. i did dry everything out. i pulled radio and re seated wiring. the sunroof still works. just lost the a/c and radio. i will look into this TIPM. dont know much about that. i believe if i have to replace the radio i will with a aftermarket. the factory one used is over $500.
The Total Integrated Power Module (TIPM) controls just about everything electrical from power; locks, wipers, windows, door locks, ignition, etc. including the AC clutch & likely the AC controls. Probably the radio controls also.

The TIPM is typically located inside the fuse box unit in the engine compartment. Its a complex computer which uses a sensitive data bus system and integrated relays to control and power various electrical functions on the vehicle.

Its possible the water contamination corrupted the computer data bus system software.
This is a long shot, you might try re-setting the PCM and hopefully TIPM too by:
a. Remove ignition key
b. Remove the negative cable from battery.
c. Remove the positive cable from battery
d. Keep the cables away from the battery-(IMPORTANT) then hold them together for 10 minutes (there might be some sparking as power is drained from the module circuitry.
e. After 10 minutes, reconnect the positive cable then the negative cable.

Also if any water got into the instrument cluster, that also could of corrupted the PCM/TIPM software.
The AC control knob switches/connectors and radio might still be water logged.
If the reset doesn't work and if you've got the time and know how pull the dash bezels and inspect the switches/connectors and radio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen to my 2016 jeep a month after i bought it. Water leaked in thru sunroof and out the front map lights directly into the nav radio. It actually pooled into the radio and you could hear it sloshing back and forth while driving. Of course it burnt out the radio completely. Took the dealer 2 tries to get a fully working replacement radio after they had some third party company fix the sunroof leak.

You could try pulling the A/C controls and checking for corrosion. If water got in there it could be shorting out via rust even after it dries out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tried the un hooking of the battery cables. no luck. ive pulled everything out and made sure it was dried and not corroded. i have a new A/c control panel on the way i will try it see if that works. its just odd the out of the 3 knobs the first 2 doesnt work but the 3rd (defrost) does work. if the new controls dont work i will take it to dealer to have a diagnostic done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same exact thing first 2 lights on climate controls do not work (if you look very closely the first actually flashes 3 times and the 3nd light turns on and off but super dim) and just the am/fm radio do not work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same exact thing first 2 lights on climate controls do not work (if you look very closely the first actually flashes 3 times and the 3nd light turns on and off but super dim) and just the am/fm radio do not work.
I have a similar problem. I was traveling through a thunderstorm and the sunroof on my 2016 Jeep Patriot essentially burst into a heavy flow of rain water which flooded the housing of the interior cabin lights and somehow got into the stereo/ touch screen. Immediately the screen failed to operate and wouldn’t react when touched. I had it dry thoroughly, but it doesn’t work. The radio volume and tuning works via the controls on the steering column, and the rear camera operates correctly. The CD player works, but as for the GPS and other features that rely on the touch screen to work simply don’t. A new one installed, I got a quote for $2300.00
This is 🐃💩 because the faulty sun roof seal is responsible for the leak… Insurance company is saying that it could have been prevented if I had dealt with the problem immediately, but I was traveling from Florida to Pennsylvania in the middle of the night, they ultimately denied my claim and suggested I contact the dealership. So I’m stuck without one of the features that I was adamant about having when I bought the vehicle. I guess I’m screwed. I hope you have better luck 🍀

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,300 Posts
I have a similar problem. I was traveling through a thunderstorm and the sunroof on my 2016 Jeep Patriot essentially burst into a heavy flow of rain water which flooded the housing of the interior cabin lights and somehow got into the stereo/ touch screen. Immediately the screen failed to operate and wouldn’t react when touched. I had it dry thoroughly, but it doesn’t work. The radio volume and tuning works via the controls on the steering column, and the rear camera operates correctly. The CD player works, but as for the GPS and other features that rely on the touch screen to work simply don’t. A new one installed, I got a quote for $2300.00
This is 🐃💩 because the faulty sun roof seal is responsible for the leak… Insurance company is saying that it could have been prevented if I had dealt with the problem immediately, but I was traveling from Florida to Pennsylvania in the middle of the night, they ultimately denied my claim and suggested I contact the dealership. So I’m stuck without one of the features that I was adamant about having when I bought the vehicle. I guess I’m screwed. I hope you have better luck 🍀
That really sucks. Get yourself an Android head unit from joyingauto.com instead of an OEM replacement. They're dead simply to install and are a lot better. They have wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay built in too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts