Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2011 patriot with stock radio that has the radio, cd, aux, and sirius satalite radio. Has buttons for blue tooth but not the software for it.

Starting yesterday the radio lost sound when driving. Satalite radio and cd both have sound. Radio sometimes would have sound again. This morning it started with sound and when i went to change channels the sound shut off again.

Any ideas where to start to look?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have 2011 patriot with stock radio that has the radio, cd, aux, and sirius satalite radio. Has buttons for blue tooth but not the software for it.

Starting yesterday the radio lost sound when driving. Satalite radio and cd both have sound. Radio sometimes would have sound again. This morning it started with sound and when i went to change channels the sound shut off again.

Any ideas where to start to look?
Hey 3murphyracing6,

TSB 08-024-14 may relate to your vehicle’s radio concerns.

SUBJECT:
RHW RHP Radio Software Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHW or RHP Radio.
MODELS:
2011-2014 (JK) Wrangler
2012-2014 (JS) 200/Avenger
2011-2012 (KK) Liberty
2011-2014 (RT) Town Country/Caravan
2011-2014 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2011-2012 (PM) Caliber
2011-2013 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2011-2014 (LC) Challenger
2011-2013 (WD) Durango
2011 (KA) Nitro
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with Media Center 730N
CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (sales code RHW) or AM/FM/CD/MP3/NAV Radio
(sales code RHP).
NUMBER: 08-024-14
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: May 09, 2014
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience one or more of the following conditions.
· Navigation voice prompt is now announced near maneuvers such as exit ramps.
· Radio freeze when playing large number of .M4A or .WMA files,and recovers with
ignition cycle.
· Battery signal strength display is not displayed into the radio screen (with iPhone 5).
· Traffic Announcement and Voice Recognition share the same volume control.
· Traffic Announcement volume drops after phone calls.
· Mismatch in the “Distance to next turn” between the radio and EVIC displays.
· German translations are incorrect.
· Radio reset when copying certain .MP3 files from USB flash drive to the radio.
· Radio stations info is not correct into the right side of the radio display (radio menu).
· Radio mute issue in tuner mode.
· Preset loss during/after AF Switching.
· Erratic alternate frequency switching.
· Bluetooth phone muting during European traffic announcement.
· Enhancements to the loss of preset condition.
· Lost channel presets, home addresses, address book entries & Travel Link favorites.
· Not able to change default country and state then route.
· Unable to load .jpeg files onto hard drive to display on touch screen.
· Vehicle with Start/Stop feature, the screen will go black when the engine turns off at
a stop. (International only).
· Cancel key inoperative after pressing the international button.
· iPhone 4 dial not possible after second call.
· Devices button disabled in VES menu.
· Unable to route to a recent route after a map update.
· Duplicate phone numbers in popup after pressing the international button.
· During active call and on hold, DIAL button should be displayed (not “TONE” button).
· International button not visible.
· Point of Interest (POI) Search enhancements.
· Devices button wrongly labeled as DVD using the remote DVD player.
· iPod, track selection enhancements.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had the same problem but i had no sound on anything. the radio powered up and showed the channels but the volume knob didn't work. it would sometimes cut on and back off. this may sound crazy but it worked, i took the radio out, took off the front face plate, and opened the radio to expose the circuit boards. i removed the board that the front face plate plugged into. this is the crazy part. i then preheated my oven to 385 and baked the circuit board on a piece of cardboard for 10 min. what happened is some of the soldier broke loose on one of the components. the oven will be hot enough so it will re soldier the circuit board but not too hot that it will catch anything on fire. including the cardboard. your house will smell like plastic for a little while but open a window and you'll be alright. i let it cool for about 20 min and put everything back together and it worked like new. i also did this on a 55" hdtv and a roku remote that stopped working. it sounds crazy but has saved me hundreds of dollars

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow just wow I tried the oven trick and it worked. I figured it’s broke anyway and I’ll have to buy a new one what have I got to lose?

I tried it once without preheating and left it at 400 for 5 mins and reassembled (note I only removed the front plastics control panel as it would melt I left all the metal casing cd drive and all and put the whole unit in). First time nothing was still no volume on radio and cutting out every few seconds on BT CD and SAT. Determined to kill or cure I did it again preheated to 400 for 10 mins then left to cool. Works perfectly.

Happy man this evening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had the same problem but i had no sound on anything. the radio powered up and showed the channels but the volume knob didn't work. it would sometimes cut on and back off. this may sound crazy but it worked, i took the radio out, took off the front face plate, and opened the radio to expose the circuit boards. i removed the board that the front face plate plugged into. this is the crazy part. i then preheated my oven to 385 and baked the circuit board on a piece of cardboard for 10 min. what happened is some of the soldier broke loose on one of the components. the oven will be hot enough so it will re soldier the circuit board but not too hot that it will catch anything on fire. including the cardboard. your house will smell like plastic for a little while but open a window and you'll be alright. i let it cool for about 20 min and put everything back together and it worked like new. i also did this on a 55" hdtv and a roku remote that stopped working. it sounds crazy but has saved me hundreds of dollars
Omg I'm having this same problem. Tempted to try this out myself. It's weird cause when I did take it apart I did see some rust on the metal bracket that's kinda behind the receiver. Wondering if water or condensation somehow got in there. Will definitely have to try this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm definitely gonna have to try this. Thanks alot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts