Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had their radio clock become more and more slow as time goes on?

When I first got my Patriot back in August, the time was about 2 mins slow. Then 3 mins slow, then 4 mins slow. Last month it was 5 mins slow - and this week it's 6 mins slow! I have not been changing the time! During daylight savings, I'd wait for the clock to change the minutes, and then I'd change the 'hour', so that had ZERO effect.

Does a slowing clock indicate that there's something up with my battery or alternator or something? Or just a bad radio?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Has anyone contacted jeep? if enough people do something might be done, it's a small but very annoying problem have yet to experience it myself though. will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is a setting on mine (model REL) that lets me choose between the built-in clock and the radio time signal. The time signal is always spot on and even adjusts for daylight saving time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting. I'll have to keep track of this and see. As it is, if I'm listening to my iPod or using Sirius, the clock becomes so small, it's almost irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
There is a setting on mine (model REL) that lets me choose between the built-in clock and the radio time signal. The time signal is always spot on and even adjusts for daylight saving time.
At least there is hope for some. Is that a touch screen radio?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I haven't noticed... I keep time by my wrist watch, phone, computers, cable box... and all but one of those set themselves for the most part.

I'd rather change my clock every now and then and let Jeep worry about more pressing issues, like keeping the inside of their product DRY!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Me too, I thought it was just me. I have to add a minute every few weeks, at least once a month.

·
Registered
190 Posts
At least there is hope for some. Is that a touch screen radio?
No touch screen. The REL is just the basic model on the 2010 euroPat Sport but I am very happy with it. It also has the AUX socket and can play dual layer DVDs (mp3 and wma). It also has all the Uconnect buttons but they don't work. You need to get the Sport Plus for that.

I did notice that the built-in radio clock is not very accurate which is why I have mine set to take the time from the radio signal.

ps When I got the car I thought the "REL" stood for "Release" so I tried pushing it. I have other radios with removable front ends but I could never get the Patriot radio to "release". :doh:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Mine loses some time, but not that quickly. Maybe a minute every two or three months.

When I adjust it for daylight savings time, I adjust the minutes at the same time, using the procedure in the Owner's Manual, and I set it fast by about a minute.

That way, it's plus or minus a minute or two between daylight savings time adjustments. At my age, that's close eniugh. :)

It would seem that creating an accurate electronic clock wouldn't involve rocket science. Or, if it does, the rocket science should be common knowledge forty-two years after we put a man on the moon.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
No touch screen. The REL is just the basic model on the 2010 euroPat Sport but I am very happy with it...:
I am wondering if there is an option on the american version to pull time from a radio signal.. that would be really nice

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Hell, even my 20 year old Rolex (my 25 year award from IBM loses 2 - 5 minutes a month, and as it's self-winding, if I leave it in the drawer for more than a day, it'll need resetting. But, it's a rolex...

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it looks like this issue has been going on for quite some time. I just bought a 2014 Patriot and yes, I discovered my clock also runs slow. It looses about 1-2 minutes a week.

I’m surprised that Jeep isn’t aware of this and created a fix, or at least an explanation as to what the cause is, even if it’s something that can’t be fixed.

I could see the reasoning in the alternator theory. The radio may be designed for a 60Hz system, but the alternator is putting out 50Hz...?

I’m going to keep digging and if I find and answer (and hopefully a solution!) I’ll be back to post it so this matter can be put to rest.

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
The 50hz/60hz thing is for clocks driven off the A/C power grid.

The alternator puts out rectified A/C ( DC), so the radio clock is probably quartz crystal referenced but drifts due to other components going out of tolerance, like capacitors, resistors, or maybe the IC that's providing the buffered oscillator output is slow for whatever reason, could be thermal related who knows.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts