Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Jeep Patriot Latitutude 4wd 2.4L 6 speed automatic.

Recently replaced my rear sway bar bushing and end links. Had the rear up on stands. I had no problems replacing the back right bushing and link. However, when I was on the left side, I had to use a pry bar to line up the bracket for the bushings. The end links were a pain too and honestly didn't line up like the other side did. What could possibly be the problem? I'll have to try to get a picture.

·
Administrator
7,885 Posts
Replace the bar?

IMO, more trouble than it's worth.

I tried to remove mine for off-roading and found there was no way to take it out in one piece without dropping the differential.

Due to how thin it is, I don't think it does that much as far as controlling sway anyway.
Before I added a 1" spacer to my Stucoils, I ran with both links removed and let the sway bar ride up and down on the lower control arms, I never really noticed a difference.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Timely thread, since I have been putting off replacing my rear sway bar bushings (edit: and links) for 6 months. Can't decide between OEM ($$) parts vs. aftermarket (considering MOOG). Someone help me get over analysis paralysis, LOL.

My unsolicited advice:

- 1.) When I put assemblies together, I often install everything loose first, then tighten the fasteners gradually, going around to all of them equally. In other words, don't tighten one side up 100% because there sometimes needs some play in the assembly for everything to come together aligned. Hope that makes sense. Try this first, before my next advice.

- 2.) You might want to take your good side link off, attach the sway bar to the frame loosely with your new bushing mounts, and then just look at everything carefully to see if you might be able to detect anything unusual (bent bar).

- 3.) The advice above to do this with the wheels/weight on the ground might be important also. This, combined with my suggestion #1 might allow better fit.

Thanks for sharing and PLEASE let us know the outcome.

EDIT: Took a peek at my factory service manual. The installation procedure there is to mount the bar to the frame first with your 2 "u" shaped clamps/bushing and leave them loose. Then mount both links loose. Then tighten both links (I would do in steps, side to side). Last step is to tighten the "U" shaped bushing clamps to the frame. The service manual has the Pat up on a lift, with the wheels dangling, so I am not sure about this aspect.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,212 Posts
I went with Rear Sway Bar Bushings - Energy Suspension 9.5156R Greasable Polyurethane - $19.87 on Amazon for my rears. After a ton of frustration, I just got Napa brand bushings for the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts