Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Recently I have found that when my MY13 Patriot is in 4wd, it will overheat the PTU at the slightest sign in wheel slippage, flashing the '4WD!' Indicator on the cluster and returning to 2wd for 10 minutes or so. Have looked through a few threads but all seem to have different circumstances e.g different size wheels ect.

All 4 wheels are near new 225/65/17, which is slightly larger than OEM but seems to be a size many run on their patriots with no issue. The PTU fluid was recently changed under 10,000 kms ago, so wouldn't imaging it would be overheating under such light duty.

My next move is to probably change the fluid again, but thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar issue, could it be electrical? I know my battery is on the way out but doubt that could possibly cause the error.

Hoping anyone can offer some advice,
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,532 Posts
The problem is probably to do with the ECC on the rear diff, bad wheel sensor, or electrical issues, etc. so another PTU fluid change probably won't make any difference.

I'd start by checking for any error codes that could help narrow it down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,
Recently I have found that when my MY13 Patriot is in 4wd, it will overheat the PTU at the slightest sign in wheel slippage, flashing the '4WD!' Indicator on the cluster and returning to 2wd for 10 minutes or so. Have looked through a few threads but all seem to have different circumstances e.g different size wheels ect.

All 4 wheels are near new 225/65/17, which is slightly larger than OEM but seems to be a size many run on their patriots with no issue. The PTU fluid was recently changed under 10,000 kms ago, so wouldn't imaging it would be overheating under such light duty.

My next move is to probably change the fluid again, but thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar issue, could it be electrical? I know my battery is on the way out but doubt that could possibly cause the error.

Hoping anyone can offer some advice,
Thanks in advance
Did you get this sorted out?

·
Registered
814 Posts
i'd make sure you used the right fluid. These call for 80w90. Sometimes people use what's close but it causes issues....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts