·
Registered
112 Posts
I really hope we can figure this out, if we do I am very interested

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
I sent another email asking for more info. Here's the reply:

"The CVT is too ‘Smart’ and will think there has been catastrophic damage to the drivetrain and will place the vehicle into limp mode."

·
Registered
112 Posts
Limp mode, not good indeed

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I sent another email asking for more info. Here's the reply:

"The CVT is too ‘Smart’ and will think there has been catastrophic damage to the drivetrain and will place the vehicle into limp mode."
If someone installs one and the CVT goes into limp mode because of it I'll send them $100 PayPal. I was thinking of emailing that company but if they're that clueless no thanks...

Definitely would like to know why they would even think that. If anything were to happen 4wd would get disabled first and the diff would unlock.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Just so people know how they work:
This guy explains it well
But this one has a nice graphic that goes along with what the other guy says
A transmission wouldn't be able to tell the difference, it'd be like you were driving on black top in a straight line or the BLD's clamped down and the tires are rotating together. If one tire is forced to go faster, such as an outside tire on a turn, it will. There wouldn't be any negative effects on driving, to get the rear to spin out the front would have to loose traction as well, which is very easy to counteract as opposed to a RWD car fish tailing.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Tyler would you combine all of the "numbers" and maybe pics into the first post so we can use this for a quick reference. Might make it more appealing to a company if it was all on the first post instead of having to dig around for it. I'm emailing richmond gear(lock rite guys).

Don't email them direct...none of them work I get denied replies. I used their form here: http://www.richmondgear.com/index.php/contact-us/tech-support hopefully that works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Observing online a Dana 28 diff, which was a front diff for the older stewards is 6.625" 23 spline Powertrax lists a lock rite for it, unfortunately they are less street friendly that the powertrax no slip lockers they sell.

I really hope a little can be done, I would be 100% happy and content with my Compass at that point. I might even be finished modding it too.

If I was able to get a locker put in, I was thinking about putting one in my factory diff and possibly selling it to another member to offset the costs of the whole project

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Any updates on this? I feel this would be a huge WIN for the patriot / compass platform.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Nope unless I csn get someone to custom build something I think we are sol I still have my spare diff, I guess it's a $500 paperweight now.

·
Major Modificator
498 Posts
hmmm. There has GOT to be a differential that's similar to it. Maybe you can take some measurements and find an LSD that will fit in there, perhaps with some shims. Limited slip would help a hell of a lot

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I used to own a ranger and I had the gears "welded" to make a fully locked diff. It was a cheap way instead of buying a locker and it worked great off road, however when I turned the back wheels would chirp, and in the rain it was a bit scary. I ended up putting an explorer 8.8 in in with LSD. Long story short, would welding the gears work to lock the rear without throwing all sorts of CELS and mess up my whole transmission? I'm sure it's not the best idea, but could it work?

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Welding it would absolutely work, no issues with check engine lights or anything, the problem if you would destroy the rear drivetrain and kill your on road performance. A lsd diff wouldn't be worth the investment since the bld system functions almost the same.

·
Major Modificator
498 Posts
Welding it would absolutely work, no issues with check engine lights or anything, the problem if you would destroy the rear drivetrain and kill your on road performance. A lsd diff wouldn't be worth the investment since the bld system functions almost the same.
well, with an LSD you could run with the BLD's disabled, and the bld's actually kill performance since its just slowing a wheel down. An LSD would probably lock the wheels sooner than the BLD's would anyway, and they would back off. Gotta harness every Gerbil Power these engine have man!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Anyone tried contacting OX lockers? It's a long shot but I think I may try.
Wow, that was a quick:

I took a few minutes to review the post in the link you provided. As you are most likely aware we use the differential cover to mount our shifting mechanism. It looks like the special cove we would have to make would be too cost prohibitive. I do thank you for sending me the post it was very helpfull .
no luck...

121 - 140 of 157 Posts