Jeep Patriot Forums banner
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
I too think smaller shops may be the way to go. Since they may be more willing to make some extra money to catering to us. Just make sure they know the community has a lot of interest this ring available

Also I'm thinking ones people can get patriots for cheap we should be seeing a little more aftermarket support.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,

I would also be very interested in getting a lunchbox locker for my (FDI) Compass 07 (assuming that the carrier size and and axles are identical between FDI and II and through the model years, which I would hope is the case)

Tyler - have you heard back from any of the companies you contacted? If no luck there may be a possibility to custom machine the part - there are a bunch of custom machining companies that perhaps could make short runs like protolabs or quickparts (I can't seem to post links - just google 'custom cnc')

'All one would need to do' is to create a CAD design.
I made a quick pass at a design for 'driver' for a lockrite/aussie style locker but with completely arbitrary dimensions (images attached). I could correct the dimensions of the part with enough input from you and also create the 'receiver' part (these replace side gears) and the ring that mates the two parts. Then we could ask few of these companies for quotes for the set of parts. From example prices listed on some of the websites it doesn't seem too prohibitive but who knows - it really depends on size and complexity of the part...

Info I would need:
-inner diameter of the carrier where the lunchbox would fit in.
-'window' width of the carrier, through which the lunchbox would need to slip in when being installed
-inner 'z' dimension of the carrier where 'z' is axis along the axle shafts, one would need to account for thrust washer thickness also.
-any information on the inner shape of the carrier -is it cylindrical? Is there some sort of spherical taper between the walls?
-diameter of the pinion shaft
-diameter of the axle shafts
-'C' clip maximum diameter when extended over the axle (this would determine the size of the 'window' in the 'teeth' through which the 'C' clip would need to be installed.
-is there any limitation on how deep the axle shafts can be pushed in during the installation (to install the 'C' clip)?
-shape and dimensions of the axle splines (or better shape and dimensions of the mating splines on the side gears from the disassembled differential). This is quite difficult to measure but perhaps approximate description is enough to get a CNC quote and we could come back to this later.
-it would also be nice to get some ideas on the shape and size of the 'teeth' of the aussie/lockrite lockers if anyone has access to such device for a different car...
-one would also need a set of springs and pins but I'm pretty sure these can be obtained 'stock'

cheers,
Wojtek

Attachments

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
Wavetrac = Not enough volume to be worth it
Quaife = Not enough volume to be worth it
Phantom Grip = No

Lokka = They showed interest and I gave them the measurements earlier in this thread, and then they disappeared.

I still have my carrier out I might be able to get someone smarter than me to get the measurements you need.

As far as I know carrier/diffs are the same across all years, (not sure on 2014;s as they got a new awd system) The only difference is going to be the ring gear and pinion gear.

Thanks for the interest!

PS for anyone looking for diffs, I got mine from here

http://stores.ebay.com/lkqonline/

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Figured I'd send a request in to Lokka as well:
Hey ,

Thank you for your interest in a LOKKA differential system.

At this stage we do not have a product to suit the rear of the Patriot.
It may be developed in the future but at this stage there is no plan to do so.
We will hold your enquiry on file and contact you if we decide to go ahead and begin R & D on such a product.

Kind Regards,
Jack
LOKKA Technical Advisor

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Figured I'd send a request in to Lokka as well:
I"m pretty upset with Lokka, went through the hassle to buy the diff and rip it apart and get the measurements as per a guy working there, and then they just disappear and don't have the decency to send me a message back, after countless emails to them, maybe they should take down on their site they actually have a part that works for our vehicles:mad:

Ok,
I have had a look at the pics.
Seems like a straight forward fitting process, but I am surprised at the 23 spline.
Is there only the one spline count?

What is the diameter of the cross-pin?

Are most of the vehicles sold manual trans or the CVT (auto?)?

RJ
SO then I get all the measurements, and they disappear

Can you tell i'm happy.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I"m pretty upset with Lokka, went through the hassle to buy the diff and rip it apart and get the measurements as per a guy working there, and then they just disappear and don't have the decency to send me a message back, after countless emails to them, maybe they should take down on their site they actually have a part that works for our vehicles:mad:

SO then I get all the measurements, and they disappear

Can you tell i'm happy.
Bummer...Is there a way to give this RJ a direct email? Or have you already and they not respond?

·
Registered
824 Posts
TBH maybe if enough people email them they may be more likely to do it. As they see more demand on there part seems like they keep records for that reason.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
The price when they listed the models that "fit" was something like 250 bux or around there really not that much if in reality it was an option to get. I wonder what minimum order would be to get it going. I bet we could get 10 right? Mike, myself sask riot sandstone, chris57 who else would be up for it =)

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The price when they listed the models that "fit" was something like 250 bux or around there really not that much if in reality it was an option to get. I wonder what minimum order would be to get it going. I bet we could get 10 right? Mike, myself sask riot sandstone, chris57 who else would be up for it =)
Do you read minds? How did you know I wanted one? lol

Don't forget labor/time to install. You have to disassemble the entire rear of the Pat. Plus if you want to keep warranty it'd probably have to be done by an ASE certified technician...
Labor/time isn't a big deal. I like taking stuff apart and putting it back together. ASE certified technician, does it count if I write my own certification on the back of a napkin? lol

No warranty :D
No warranty here either. And I don't plan on visiting another dealer again for service anyways. :D

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
Just heard back from Torq-Masters Industries, who makes the Aussie Locker here in the states. They said an automatic locker can't be used with the CVT due to the transmission computer (no details given) and there isn't enough demand for a locker for the manual transmission to make it financially feasible.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
My question is why can't it be done? It's a mechanical device no electronics involved. The abs wheel.speed sensor is not going to see any wheel speed difference on the rear axle so why would the type of transmission matter. 05-10 grand Cherokees with quadra trac2 4x4 which is open diffs with a aggressive BLDs have a locker application that works, can't see how it would be any different
Oh well this was just a project that cost me a bunch of money to fail.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
I know, I thought the same thing. And I did specifically mention rear differential along with spline count and ring gear size.

If I have time I may call them next week and try to get some specifics.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts