Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Patriot that I'm working on has the premium audio package, there are 8 speakers in the car, and a pre-amp looking thing under the radio, and the audio amp in the back behind the seats. However, the wiring is all slightly different from what's in the 2014 system wiring diagrams. For example, the main connector going into the radio should only have left and right audio wires because they tie into the amplifier before going out to all the speakers, but this jeep has all 4 sets (RF, LF, RR, LR). It also doesn't have the media port or any of the stuff for a hands-free phone. So I don't know if one of the previous owners changed out a bunch of things and maybe it originally had the base radio & audio, but just want to throw that out there as it might be important.

On to my main question. I'm swapping in an aftermarket stereo because I want to have a backup cam and bluetooth, I installed the main unit, and I wasn't getting any audio out, speakers are dead quiet no matter what I do. I did some troubleshooting and found that if I kept the OEM radio connected to the CAN bus, everything works perfectly. So I stuck the OEM radio in the back, hacked into a couple extra wires, and so now it's sitting in the back connected to power/ground and the CAN bus. Now the aftermarket radio works perfectly. I assume it has something to do with having the OEM amplifier, and that if it doesn't get some sort of wakeup signal from the radio, the amplifier never turns on? I'm not sure and I haven't been able to find much information about it. So my question is, how do I get around this? I'd rather not just have the huge stock radio taking up space in the back. Is there some sort of adapter or dongle I can plug into the CAN bus that will take the place of whatever the stock radio is dealing with?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much information at all about anyone that has changed their radio that has the premium audio package, all of the threads that I've read on here are upgrading the head unit for the base radio, which does look much easier, and none of those installs have talked about having to fake out the CAN bus just to get audio out.

Second question, the new head unit I put in has one of those fancy "Learn" buttons so you can use the factory steering wheel controls to control the radio. Knowing that there is a ton of traffic on the CAN bus, I don't think it would be a good idea to hook it up directly to the CAN bus, is there some sort of adapter that can read the traffic on the bus and output it as a normal control signal that these types of radios can pick up and learn from? If anyone knows of something that will do both: turn on the amplifier, and let me keep using the steering wheel controls, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
No hands on experience here, but I've seen where others have had to buy adapter cables, etc. to get installs like this to work.

This thread from the Caliber site might be useful:

Here's one source for cables / adapters:

Hopefully someone else will jump in with better info.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,397 Posts
One of the 2 reasons that I went with an Android head unit. They come with everything needed, including a CAN bus adapter built into the wiring harness, so everything is just plug-and-play.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,397 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts