Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread because I have seen so many, including first time single posts, of the negatives owners experience.

This is my positive. The Patriot has true Jeep styling. Coming down road with the round headlights and the seven slot grill, first thought is Wrangler. Then they see it is an urban Jeep, but having their true off road capabilities. I've owned mine for 3+ years and find it to handle any road conditions from hot an dusty to heavy snow,

What are your positive experiences?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve had my Patriot FD-II for going on four years now, and it’s all been positive. I like the old Cherokee-look body styling much better than the ovoid SUV/crossovers of today. I agree that Jeeps should have round headlights and seven-slot grilles. Mine is a great size for urban commuting while doing what I need it to do on weekends & hunting trips.
I’ve kept up with maintenance, changed the CVT fluid around 50,000 miles, bought real A/T tires, and I have no complaints. I hope to have it for many more years.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,121 Posts
My Patriot experience has been mostly positive, and I still love it after 4 years of ownership. I love how it looks and drives. Being FD2 it can take me everywhere that I want to go. I also find it to be very comfortable. I'm a tall guy and have more than enough leg and headroom. I do wish it was more reliable though.

·
Super Moderator
8,570 Posts
I got my first Patriot in 2008. I loved the little creature! The only downer was that it went through two transmissions, but fortunately both were replaced under the warranty. I got nearly 300,000 miles out of it with only a handful of other repairs.

We liked it so much that we bought a 2014 for my Wife. It is now at 150,000 miles and the only repairs have been the front axle bearings. Both are FWD and with good snow tires they perform very well in snow. They are great on the highway putting out 30+ MPG. If they still made Patriots I'd buy another.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 75th Anniversary Edition
44 Posts
I've only had my Patriot since election day (got it with 100k already, so its just broken in). So far put almost 7k on the clock and so far no real problems. Did somethings like replaced the tires (Toyo Open Country AT3), and upgraded the headunit (Old Pioneer headunit from the WJ with a Maestro RR). Really impressed with the Jeep. Handles great, and did well in our first snow of the season (20") though additional lighting is in order. Driving through the Jersey Pine Barrens at night is a challenge with stock lights since most of the drive is through a state forest with no overhead lighting. Doing it in a blizzard sucked. I could not see more than 20-30ft in front of me. I took it out on some of the trails in the Barrens. Couldn't do much being solo but the Pat did well around the trails, even some that got partially washed out. The previous owner used to go out to Island Beach SP to go fishing (found a receipt, and explains all the sand in the nooks and crannies). Overall I really like the Patriot. Mine has some quirks but its still a blast to drive.

Reactions: mr_et2

·
Registered
5 Posts
A positive newbie here...hehehe. I bought a second-hand 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4L FWD. First thing I saw here was the leg room space both front and back. It may look small outside but spacious inside and always love the box-typed vehicle. Currently replace all lights with LED, and this version has no fog lights, and so I installed one, wirings to follow. Also planning to replace the car stereo into a 10in touch screen... wish me luck...hehehe... Very satisfied Jeep owner here :)

·
Super Moderator
8,570 Posts
A positive newbie here...hehehe. I bought a second-hand 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4L FWD. First thing I saw here was the leg room space both front and back. It may look small outside but spacious inside and always love the box-typed vehicle. Currently replace all lights with LED, and this version has no fog lights, and so I installed one, wirings to follow. Also planning to replace the car stereo into a 10in touch screen... wish me luck...hehehe... Very satisfied Jeep owner here :)
I had a 2008 Patriot, also FWD. It was a great vehicle, but I had two replacement trannies because I didn't realize that the fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles. Aside from that the ol' boy was totally reliable and made it to almost 300 before I sold it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
well my daughter bought a 2016 patriot sport 4 by 4 and had it converted to a right hand drive and is using it for her rural mail route, It has been going strong for her till this yr and 82 k ,of rough stop and go, and also she is not the easy on the pedals as she should be, 3 wheel bearings, 2 cv axles front ,one new rim from the junk yard, and just the normal brakes and 2 new rotors and maintenance, she is also on her second battery and just lately had a bad sound coming from the rear end got loud at 25-30 and would then get quieter as the faster you went but still loud, her regular mech said it was her differential going bad i asked what about the last wheel bearing on the right side rear and he said no its good, well the diff on these pats are $$$$$ like most places wanted 2-3 k well i am a retired chry worker so i get a 25 % discount on parts, so a 1800 unit from the dealership was around 1275 and her mech said he would install it for 400, well if i buy it and some else installs it is a 1 yr warranty on it, if the dealership installed it 2 yr warranty and they wanted 600 for the install so we decided to go with the dealership and low and behold they said it was just the last wheel bearing that was bad so ended up costing 450 parts and labor kind of high but a hell of a lot better than 2k...her reg mech did the other bearings for around 200 each for the fronts and 150 for the rear and he is a great mechanic but here is where the dealership saved us a bid savings, so i ended up taking her pat back in for her trans service which cost us 175, boy they really made it a pain to service the trans, anyways her patriot has cost her a good bit this yr, but she should be set continue to give her couple of more yrs before she moves on to an other vehicle...by the way be nice to your mail carrier if they have to provide their own cars ( they also have to have a back up vehicles as well) if it is a rural mail route, she just made full time last week ,,after being a part time employee for over 9 years.... so she finally starts time towards retirement,,,just a note to others it is actually a pretty good job esp if you can do your own repairs on your vehicles but as it was for her a long time to be made permanent but also when starting out you are only guaranteed 1 day a week but they are always short handed so she always was working full time, it is good money but expensive repairs can hurt you as well

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well my daughter bought a 2016 patriot sport 4 by 4 and had it converted to a right hand drive and is using it for her rural mail route, It has been going strong for her till this yr and 82 k ,of rough stop and go, and also she is not the easy on the pedals as she should be, 3 wheel bearings, 2 cv axles front ,one new rim from the junk yard, and just the normal brakes and 2 new rotors and maintenance, she is also on her second battery and just lately had a bad sound coming from the rear end got loud at 25-30 and would then get quieter as the faster you went but still loud, her regular mech said it was her differential going bad i asked what about the last wheel bearing on the right side rear and he said no its good, well the diff on these pats are $$$$$ like most places wanted 2-3 k well i am a retired chry worker so i get a 25 % discount on parts, so a 1800 unit from the dealership was around 1275 and her mech said he would install it for 400, well if i buy it and some else installs it is a 1 yr warranty on it, if the dealership installed it 2 yr warranty and they wanted 600 for the install so we decided to go with the dealership and low and behold they said it was just the last wheel bearing that was bad so ended up costing 450 parts and labor kind of high but a hell of a lot better than 2k...her reg mech did the other bearings for around 200 each for the fronts and 150 for the rear and he is a great mechanic but here is where the dealership saved us a bid savings, so i ended up taking her pat back in for her trans service which cost us 175, boy they really made it a pain to service the trans, anyways her patriot has cost her a good bit this yr, but she should be set continue to give her couple of more yrs before she moves on to an other vehicle...by the way be nice to your mail carrier if they have to provide their own cars ( they also have to have a back up vehicles as well) if it is a rural mail route, she just made full time last week ,,after being a part time employee for over 9 years.... so she finally starts time towards retirement,,,just a note to others it is actually a pretty good job esp if you can do your own repairs on your vehicles but as it was for her a long time to be made permanent but also when starting out you are only guaranteed 1 day a week but they are always short handed so she always was working full time, it is good money but expensive repairs can hurt you as well
And the POSITIVE PATRIOT EXPERIENCE is?

It does sound as if she is a bit heavy on the peddles. It also sounds like she encounters many road (side of road) hazards on her route.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm starting this thread because I have seen so many, including first time single posts, of the negatives owners experience.

This is my positive. The Patriot has true Jeep styling. Coming down road with the round headlights and the seven slot grill, first thought is Wrangler. Then they see it is an urban Jeep, but having their true off road capabilities. I've owned mine for 3+ years and find it to handle any road conditions from hot an dusty to heavy snow,

2007 FD2, original owner. It actually gets driven off road (and on some pretty serious So Cal mining roads to boot). 265000 miles and still going strong. Replaced the trans at 200,000 under the lifetime warrantee they offered in 2007. (I’m NEVER getting rid of this Pat!)

·
Registered
2 Posts

We have a 2010 4x Limited with 105k on it and a 2017 2x 75th Edition. Very few issues with either. Not luxury vehicles for sure but seem to be solid and dependable. Had to put in a new sunroof seal on the older one and a engine front main seal (under warranty) in the 2017. That’s it. The 4x4 really has great traction, not much ground clearance like a Wrangler of course but it holds its own in sand and snow well.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve had my Patriot FD-II for going on four years now, and it’s all been positive. I like the old Cherokee-look body styling much better than the ovoid SUV/crossovers of today. I agree that Jeeps should have round headlights and seven-slot grilles. Mine is a great size for urban commuting while doing what I need it to do on weekends & hunting trips.
I’ve kept up with maintenance, changed the CVT fluid around 50,000 miles, bought real A/T tires, and I have no complaints. I hope to have it for many more years.

I bought one for my daughter (2013). she wants more rugged tires than the originals. What size did you put on yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015. I have had it just over a year. I love mine. Minor issues. Had to replace the crankshaft positioning sensor. Cheap fix. I had a older square body Cherokee years ago. When I test drove my Patriot it felt comfortable to me. I’ve added the RC 2” suspension lift, 18” wheels, Faulken 235/60/18 tires, new rack cross bars, rack, ice blue interior lights, grill insert (and yes angry eyes...lol), new short antenna, weather tech mats. There are still lots of extras I can’t wait to add. I like my lil Jeep so much that I didn’t hesitate when my niece asked if I liked mine before she purchased hers. Hoping to continue to have positive reviews.
C9E338D1-1263-44FF-A0AF-B9FAC61859ED.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2015. I have had it just over a year. I love mine. Minor issues. Had to replace the crankshaft positioning sensor. Cheap fix. I had a older square body Cherokee years ago. When I test drove my Patriot it felt comfortable to me. I’ve added the RC 2” suspension lift, 18” wheels, Faulken 235/60/18 tires, new rack cross bars, rack, ice blue interior lights, grill insert (and yes angry eyes...lol), new short antenna, weather tech mats. There are still lots of extras I can’t wait to add. I like my lil Jeep so much that I didn’t hesitate when my niece asked if I liked mine before she purchased hers. Hoping to continue to have positive reviews. View attachment 93359
It looks great. My daughter is 17 and she loves her Jeep. I want to lift it and put larger tires than the stocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Patriot experience has been mostly positive, and I still love it after 4 years of ownership. I love how it looks and drives. Being FD2 it can take me everywhere that I want to go. I also find it to be very comfortable. I'm a tall guy and have more than enough leg and headroom. I do wish it was more reliable though.
Thank you for your service. I was a Seabee for 6yrs.

·
Super Moderator
8,570 Posts
I have a 2015. I have had it just over a year. I love mine. Minor issues. Had to replace the crankshaft positioning sensor. Cheap fix. I had a older square body Cherokee years ago. When I test drove my Patriot it felt comfortable to me. I’ve added the RC 2” suspension lift, 18” wheels, Faulken 235/60/18 tires, new rack cross bars, rack, ice blue interior lights, grill insert (and yes angry eyes...lol), new short antenna, weather tech mats. There are still lots of extras I can’t wait to add. I like my lil Jeep so much that I didn’t hesitate when my niece asked if I liked mine before she purchased hers. Hoping to continue to have positive reviews.
Welcome! Please drop over to the newbie threads and introduce yourself to the others.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
And the POSITIVE PATRIOT EXPERIENCE is?

It does sound as if she is a bit heavy on the peddles. It also sounds like she encounters many road (side of road) hazards on her route.
the positive reply as for that little of repair for 4 yrs is a good experience with mail vehicles, which is 2-3 times more ear than an regular person would put on their pat.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts