Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Portland you don't have to pay to use mass transit. A recent study revealed that a certain racial/ethnic group was disproportionately ticketed and subject to prosecution in court because they weren't paying for their bus or light rail fees. Since this group was ticketed at a greater rate than other racial/ethnic groups, the requirement to pay must therefore be discriminatory since it is just part of their nature to flaunt the law. Although individuals will still be cited for failing to purchase a ticket, none will be prosecuted. Therefore there is no penalty for not paying, so it would be foolish to pay.

Police no longer arrest thieves of stolen cars unless the thief admits to stealing the car. Without an admission, there is no prosecution. Car thefts have increased since this announcement.

For those planning to visit Portland and experience all that the homeless population has to offer, don't bring a vehicle and don't pay for mass transit. Portland's priorities are focused on the welfare of the law breakers and homeless (aka bums) population.

This is what happens in the fairyland of liberal democrats.

·
8,143 Posts
Where does the city get off charging for "public" transportation? Shouldn't it be free for the "public"? After all, we own it, right?

That said, I quickly did a search for the story and I see evaders will be treated like it was a traffic offense. I agree, it shouldn't be a criminal offense unless someone continually flaunts the rules. No one should be arrested for running a stop sign, but we know that traffic courts have penalties for habitual offenders, just like criminal court. My old boss nearly lost his right to drive in one state because of too many speeding tickets.

Once? OK, pay the fine. Twice? This isn't a joke and you get a stiffer penalty. Three? Four? Five? Hey, you're a problem and we're going to do something about it. That's fair.

In NH if you run the toll gate you've got a grace period to pay -- maybe a week or two. No sense arresting someone for that. Then again they got a woman a few years ago for chronically running the tolls and she got a hefty fine.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Where does the city get off charging for "public" transportation? Shouldn't it be free for the "public"? After all, we own it, right?
Do some googling on DC Metro and WMATA and see for yourself what happens to "public mass transit" when no one pays for it......

These systems are supposed to be funded by ridership with minimal public funds invested.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
As I recall from my days as an elected official, "Public transportation" is required to return a percentage of the operating costs via the fare box--this doesn't take into consideration the billions of $$ used to build the system. So, as bus/train operators make more money, and fuel costs go up, so should the fare box fees, and those folks who rely on the system MUST pay their fair (fare...) share!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
a certain racial/ethnic group
Which group is that?

Portland's priorities are focused on the welfare of the law breakers and homeless (aka bums) population.
As Portland rents continue to rise, it will funnel more people into being homeless. And when the city continues to make being homeless a crime, you are going to have more homeless criminals, because you will have more people occupying the same space, vying for the same resources, all in the same dire circumstance. It is a breeding ground for criminality as people scavenge to get by. Go figure, if you take care of your "homeless criminals", give them a way to no longer be homeless, they have less need to be criminals.

It's not a liberal/conservative issue. Its a question of who has money and where is it going.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Do some googling on DC Metro and WMATA and see for yourself what happens to "public mass transit" when no one pays for it......

These systems are supposed to be funded by ridership with minimal public funds invested.
LOL nice one there, you should see how Denver does with its public invested funds on its light rail. Hardly anyone buys a ticket because there are no turn styles or people checking for tickets. Its almost entirely funded by taxes. Pretty much anyone in the Denver area is paying for people's free rides whether or not they ever use it. I would say 99% of the buses that drive around the area never have anyone on it. Its just a day care for the bus drivers so they keep driving around in circles. I am sure if they tried to cut a route one person somewhere would complain that they can't use it on their once a year use.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Portland robbery spree suspects acquitted on more than 130 charg - KPTV - FOX 12

Another reason to stay out of Portland. The annoying part is that the press is trying to bury this story. Also a good reason for the prosecution to accept a guilty plea in Florida rather than trying for the death sentence with a jury. I can imagine his attorney using some kind of insanity defense and the jury buying it. Or the prosecution could be incompetent. Or both. Worked for that football player.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
What - I'm confused .... whats going on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts