Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay hey guys!
I'm currently a one-day-old Jeep owner. I traded in my Kia Soul yesterday for a used 2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude X in silver. It came with a bunch of cool extras like the heated seats, sunroof, and automatic start, so that was nice. And it only had 50k on it, which ain't too shabby. Besides a weird burgundy-colored pinstripe down the sides, it's pretty much a very simple and plain stock car. Which is exciting because there's tons of room for creativity.

I fully plan on making this MY car, I want to customize the crap out of her. I have all these ideas in my head - mostly ideas that go along with a Mad Max theme - but not a single clue on where to start or which ideas I should trash. The car, when finished, will be my little 'Furiosa,' so I need a body to match that name. (Any Mad Max fans?) So I'm looking for some help...

Right now, the bumper and moulding around the sides (is there a name for that?) is a little faded out, so I'll be touching that up with a bumper dye kit tomorrow morning. I know I want the rims, emblems, and grill / headlight inserts to all be black. Any tips on DIY paint jobs for those parts? Suggested paints, perhaps?

Unfortunately, I'm also broke as heck, so things like a lift, or new tires, or anything major like that will have to wait. Are there any reasonably priced mods I can do while I save up for the big stuff? I'm open to any and all ideas right now, so throw 'em at me!

Thank you in advance!

Oh! Also any tips you have for off-roading or getting better MPG or ANYTHING at all, those are welcome as well. My goal is to avoid the rookie mistakes! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new here too, and a new patriot owner as well. One very simple and inexpensive mod you can do right off the bat is to replace the stock antenna. I got a 14" carbon fiber antenna from Auto Zone for like $6. The reception is a little worse than the factory, but it looks about a zillion times better. It took me about 20 seconds to make the swap...so, there's a cheap starting point.

Another thing I haven't tried yet, but want to do is to plasti-dip the emblems. There are a bunch of videos on youtube showing how to do that. You could watch those and see if you like the look. That would be another very cheap mod.

Hmmmm...I want a roof basket. I've been looking around and some are cheap, but it seems like quality ones are a few hundred. Not sure what "cheap" means to you, as that term is highly subjective, but if $300-$400 isn't out of range, that could be a pretty good looking mod too.

In any case, welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your new ride. I'm loving mine so far.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Hi mate, welcome aboard.

Try searching the forum typing something like cheap mods.

Fairly sure I started off by doing that and I believe there are a few, like the antenna and plastidipping various things.

Another one might be ordering an led kit to swap out interior lights and number plate lights.

Create a build thread - look forward to seeing your progress!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm new here too, and a new patriot owner as well. One very simple and inexpensive mod you can do right off the bat is to replace the stock antenna. I got a 14" carbon fiber antenna from Auto Zone for like $6. The reception is a little worse than the factory, but it looks about a zillion times better. It took me about 20 seconds to make the swap...so, there's a cheap starting point.

Another thing I haven't tried yet, but want to do is to plasti-dip the emblems. There are a bunch of videos on youtube showing how to do that. You could watch those and see if you like the look. That would be another very cheap mod.

Hmmmm...I want a roof basket. I've been looking around and some are cheap, but it seems like quality ones are a few hundred. Not sure what "cheap" means to you, as that term is highly subjective, but if $300-$400 isn't out of range, that could be a pretty good looking mod too.

In any case, welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your new ride. I'm loving mine so far.
I forgot about the antenna, that's a good one!! I saw one online that looks like a 50 cal bullet, it was awesome. Around $20 I think! I'm definitely gonna watch some of those videos on youtube, I didn't even think to check youtube. And cheap for me is $100-$200, but I don't mind making a list of what I want to save up for. That basket would look really nice!

Thank you for the help, and I'm loving mine as well. Happy to get my foot into the Jeep Family :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi mate, welcome aboard.

Try searching the forum typing something like cheap mods.

Fairly sure I started off by doing that and I believe there are a few, like the antenna and plastidipping various things.

Another one might be ordering an led kit to swap out interior lights and number plate lights.

Create a build thread - look forward to seeing your progress!
Going to search the threads now before I make my way to AutoZone. Thank you!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mod 1 should be paying it off (if you have a loan on it). Any extra money you can throw at a mod could go to paying off your car so much earlier and faster, and save you money on interest!
I have a payment plan that works for me, no worries. If I can put down more each month, I'm going to do that, but if not, I know I will be able to pay the bill, and put a couple dollars on the side for mods. Thank you for the advice!

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,680 Posts
Hood louvers. $150 from Rocky Road Outfitters(probably less if you get a discount from philbobagginz), and another $150 to have a trusted local body shop install them. Keeps the engine temps down, but it can still keep you warm in the winter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
save up your money, get a good set of A/T tires. getting mine installed as we speak. I love all my mods, but i wish I had done tires first.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Good mats for the floor, side window visors, mud flaps. Maybe a new shifter knob.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good mats for the floor, side window visors, mud flaps. Maybe a new shifter knob.
Oh yeah, floor mats! That's a good one.

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned window tint, but I think that could be done for reasonably cheap if you just did the front two to match the rears.

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
Mod 1 should be paying it off (if you have a loan on it). Any extra money you can throw at a mod could go to paying off your car so much earlier and faster, and save you money on interest!
Ditto! Remember, the last guy got rid of it for a reason. Don't be discouraged if you find a problem early on. So save a few pennies or pay down your debt. That said you're looking at pretty modest mods.

Maybe some grill inserts for the Patriot? Some say there aren't any, but I ran across these: http://www.autoamenity.com/Chrome-Grill/GI-110-Jeep-Patriot-Chrome-Grill-Insert.htm You can play around on Google and maybe you'll find something else you like better.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. We've got some good people with good ideas, and helpful advice when you need it. You'll have fun on here. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ditto! Remember, the last guy got rid of it for a reason. Don't be discouraged if you find a problem early on.
Yup...this has been my experience so far. I have had to replace several small things...blinker bulbs and spark plugs, and a not so small battery (over $150 isn't small to me).

The spark plugs fixed a stuttering problem it was having between 20-35 mph, and the battery fixed the intermittent starting issue. I keep hearing a clonking noise in the suspension. I glanced down there while I was washing it the other day and I can already tell the sway bar end links are bad, so my next project will probably be to get it up and replace the sway bar bushings and end links. At that point I'll probably also have to check out the control arms and look around at the brakes/rotors.

Oh, the joys of buying used. But I like the satisfaction of fixing it up and keeping it rolling.

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
Yup...this has been my experience so far. I have had to replace several small things...blinker bulbs and spark plugs, and a not so small battery (over $150 isn't small to me).

The spark plugs fixed a stuttering problem it was having between 20-35 mph, and the battery fixed the intermittent starting issue. I keep hearing a clonking noise in the suspension. I glanced down there while I was washing it the other day and I can already tell the sway bar end links are bad, so my next project will probably be to get it up and replace the sway bar bushings and end links. At that point I'll probably also have to check out the control arms and look around at the brakes/rotors.

Oh, the joys of buying used. But I like the satisfaction of fixing it up and keeping it rolling.
Good to see that you understand what buying a used vehicle is all about. I pity people who buy something 5 years old with 90,000 miles on it, and because its shiny they think its new.

I spent a number of years as a sales/service rep on the road. I'd drive a car until I hit the repair belt, usually around 120,000, and then it was gone. Whoever got it after me would usually need to replace shocks and suspension parts, and maybe something on the serpentine belt, but after that they'd have a vehicle good for another 100,000. If they got P.O.ed and dumped it because it needed those repairs, they were fools.

I practically rebuilt my first car from the ground up, but I learned so much in the process! It was a good experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My previous car was a base model cavalier coupe which I bought at just 30K miles. I had it for 11 years and had clocked over 180K when it got totaled. I had every intention of keeping that car until it totally crapped out on me. I bought this Patriot with about 110K, and my goal for this car is pretty much the same. I plan to do the work myself as much as possible, and hopefully get this guy well into the 200's or beyond. I grow attached to my cars (probably because I work on them so much)...haha, it's just my style.

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
My previous car was a base model cavalier coupe which I bought at just 30K miles. I had it for 11 years and had clocked over 180K when it got totaled. I had every intention of keeping that car until it totally crapped out on me. I bought this Patriot with about 110K, and my goal for this car is pretty much the same. I plan to do the work myself as much as possible, and hopefully get this guy well into the 200's or beyond. I grow attached to my cars (probably because I work on them so much)...haha, it's just my style.
I grow attached to mine as well. Maybe I shouldn't name them -- they seem to take on a personality when I do, e.g. Tomcat, Snowball, Sparky, Daisy, Kermit, the Batmobile, now Ignatz, Rocky and Bullwinkle. If I was totally rational I might have punted Ignatz, but I feel its worth a couple major repairs. If they'd happened 100,000 miles ago I'd be mad, but I'd still go through with the repair. Why not now? Gosh, at 200,000 its running like new. So the little guy soldiers on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wanted to update those who cared.. lol

I gave my new baby a little makeover for only about $60! It was completely silver when I bought it and had an ugly maroon pinstripe on it, so I revamped it with a black carbon fiber pinstripe and painted the grill matte black. I'll be wrapping that with black carbon fiber wrap as well (or, shall I say, my boyfriend's brother who knows cars will be doing it, haha!)

Once I figure out how to properly upload a picture, I'll post one!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts